Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: I have blown my engine using a Fail Safe Meth Kit?
YES
17.78%
NO
82.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

How Many People Have Blown thier Engine using a FAILSAFE METH KIT?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Technically, the E85 station in Brentwood is WAY closer than 100 miles
Brentwood? That´s my old turf. I did not realize that you were allowed to roam freely out in the Westside, Erik. LOL What street is this station on anyway?

Last edited by sparky; May 27, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DBallz
Ok for all the meth haters I find nothing wrong with meth. I was actually going to run meth on a built motor before making the decision to run E85.

If you run meth with stock ECU which I had originally planned on. Start with a good meth kit Aquamist only people. I would only run Tephra V7 with it. On the HFS-6 the is a yellow connector and there is a pink wire that outputs 4.7 volts under no fault or the system is ready this working with V7 pined to the stock ECU will switch to the alt map. Now when the meth system detects a fault such as low fluid, incorrect flow, or the gauge turned off it will trigger 0 volts which will pull the ECU to the original map. The time set to switch from one map to another is 1sec. Now add a 3 port boost control solenoid the ECU is controlling boost from high to low your taking 1 sec to switch from 35psi to 25psi.

What else can we add? Lets add a wideband into the mix and have the lets exceed the voltage preset and the WGDC will drop to 0%. Also add in high knock count and a longer then 2 sec duration after CEL continues to flash after last occurrence has stopped and boost will drop to 0% WGDC.

There is nothing wrong with meth as long as it's installed with disaster in mind. If everyone would install their meth systems in this manner engine failures would be eliminated.
1 second is a very long time on a engine turning high revs. Many ignition events can occur in that one second(the higher the rev, the more ignition events), which is more than enough time to destroy your engine. 1 sec is a lot at 3,000rpm and is a virtual eternity at 7500rpm.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I myself have been running Aquamist products for many years . In fact I've run the same kit on two cars now. My failsafe has kicked in twice since I've been using water/alcohol injection. The first time my fuse blew rendering my pump nonoperational and the second time the mechanic who changed my clutch forgot to attach the water hose back on my uicp. Both of those times my failsafe kicked in and switched my maps in my ECU to my default 91 octane only tune. No damage to my engine what so ever. I constantly maintain my water/alcohol system to make sure it's working at its best at all times. Living in California with crap 91 octane and using water/alcohol injection is the only way I can live with having decent performance. Now I have had great experience with water/alcohol injection and I have to admit that sh*t can happen, so I could never say that I will never have engine failure. All I know is that 8+ years of using water/alcohol injection successfully is pretty good in my book.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

This thread is absolutely silly. Meth HAS shown positive results in MANY cars. There are MANY reasons why people blow engines, and yes meth has been one of the causes.

I used meth for almost 3 years and loved . I have recently switched to e85 as more stations have opened up and will keep it becuase it provides better gains and I dont have to constantly refill my meth.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
Like this?

Meth, due to it's low surface tension is much better at equal distribution than water is. With the right nozzle and pressure, it atomizes fairly well. Direct port is an extra safety factor in my mind. I swapped to direct port (see photo), but didn't see any +/- over the old two nozzle setup.
Much better setup!!!

You may not see power gains but you will see the motor stay healthier..

Mike
Old May 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any way to make the ECU switch faster?
Old May 28, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

damn, that direct injection looks crisp and clean. combo'd with the failsafe tephra v7 what would go wrong?? Is 1 second to switch maps, dump to wastegate, reduce boost etc. too long? can you really get engine damage /failure that fast?
Old May 28, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Broham
damn, that direct injection looks crisp and clean. combo'd with the failsafe tephra v7 what would go wrong?? Is 1 second to switch maps, dump to wastegate, reduce boost etc. too long? can you really get engine damage /failure that fast?
In my last post in this thread, i explained why 1 sec is a very long time when things are going wrong.

If you were going to run meth, the direct injection method shown above would be the way to go, but it's expensive and most people won't do it. Even then, things can still go wrong with the rest of the system.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by iTune
In my last post in this thread, i explained why 1 sec is a very long time when things are going wrong.

If you were going to run meth, the direct injection method shown above would be the way to go, but it's expensive and most people won't do it. Even then, things can still go wrong with the rest of the system.

To reinforce what you are saying, at 6000 rpm, 50 ignition events occur. That's fifty times that something might get ****ed.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I think the risk depends on how dependent the tune is on the meth injection. If you car is going to spike to 13:1 AFR if the kit quits, then you will be in a lot more trouble than if the AFR just goes up a 1/2 point and you are tuned to low 11s AFR. Keeping EGTs in check must be worth some longevity, particularly for those running hard for 20 minutes at a time at the track.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Well we're getting lots of opinions here about why failsafes cannot prevent engine damage with system failures but no real input from the OP's original question : "How Many People Have Blown thier Engine using a FAILSAFE METH KIT?".

I see 4 people replying on the OP's Poll about engine failure with failsafes. Can you guys please post and elaborate on what happened? The OP wants some feed back and I'm curious as well.

Last edited by EvoTio; May 28, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I can say that my Aquamist failsafe kicked in during a timed Redline Time Attack session and, not realizing why my car was losing power, I stayed in it for at least half a lap. No damage done. The cause of the system failure was melting underhood system components.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
So if i can't run E85.....and meth is not good (which i already run) What is a guy like me supposed to do? I going to be running a 6262 on a build block (as well as other mods) and i want my 600+ Whp...I don't think there is any other way to get that other then running E85 or C16...

Unless i'm missing something here and that could be very possible.

Oh and for the O.P i haven't blow my motor in the 2 years I've been running meth.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't say meth is no good, just be aware of the risks involved.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Rock why you got to bust my b@lls? I do all the work to my car except tune. I spent a lot of time on my Meth and failsafe install so I'm sticking with it. I am working on a 93 setup and Meth setup tune so I will be on 93 75% of the time I drive the car. I installed everything on my car and plan on building my motor myself. That's not being lazy.
lazy in the fact that e85 is only 5 mins away and you could do a map switcher and have sick power and be more safer. Travel around and not have to worry about a thing. Not lazy in the fact that you dont want to install parts and be a productive member of soicety as a whole

Quick Reply: How Many People Have Blown thier Engine using a FAILSAFE METH KIT?