Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

coolant temp goes from 192 to 206....why?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm....206 is not overheating...lol. This is a normal operating temp. 220+ is a problem. After a 4th or 5th gear run, most will see temps into the 210 range, which then should quickly recover back into the 185-200* range. This is normal. I don't trust your tuner...lol. My advice, get a new one.
Old May 24, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh wow well that is music to my ears!!!! so now i guess im back to just looking for what is causing my knock issues.
Old May 24, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Just got your logs and noticed a couple things, your coolant heat doesn’t appear to be a problem to me…but your knock does:

#1 - No boost or load is being logged, log one of those (preferably load), as it helps determine what cells on the fuel and ignition maps are being accessed.

#2 – I could mistake your log for one of mine, they look really similar as far as how your coolant and intake temps plot. So if your head gasket is blown then mine is too.

#3 – I’m seeing knock from 5500rpm up

#4 – I’m not seeing AFR logged so I’m not sure if you are lean

#5 – You are running about 2deg more timing than I am above 6300rpm (but at peak torque we are about the same), but your cams may allow that

Here are some possibilities for your knock:

#1 – You are lean up top, but we don’t know because AFR isn’t logged

#2 – Too much timing up top, possible, but the timing isn’t really crazy

#3 – Boost leak is causing the turbo to overwork itself; and it is blowing hot air which is more prone to detonation

#4 – Bad Gas??

Here are my suggestions:

#1 – Fill up with some known good gas

#2 – Boost leak check

#3 – If that doesn’t work remove 1-2deg up top on your timing

If you are still knocking you’ll need to see if it’s because you are lean.
Old May 24, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

hey thanks a lot for ur help! these logs were just what the tuner sent me. i may be going to my original tuner sometime this week for him to check it out. ill check for boost leaks again...last time i had a boost leak it was my throttle body shaft seals...i fixed that and haven't done another test yet.

how can i log myself so i can put them up on here?
Old May 24, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

You'll need a cable (I use Tactrix) and software, most likely EvoScan.

Also one other thing to think of...did you get tuned in the cold weather, and now it's hot and you are knocking? That's a possibility too...
Old May 24, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dyezak
You'll need a cable (I use Tactrix) and software, most likely EvoScan.

Also one other thing to think of...did you get tuned in the cold weather, and now it's hot and you are knocking? That's a possibility too...
it was definitely colder when i got tuned the first time but it wasnt a huge difference....i checked my coolant overflow today and it did rise maybe half an inch..idk if that is a problem or not but i figured i would let everyone know.

where can i download evo scan? maybe i will have to buy a tactrix cable and do some logging...i will do another boost leak test as well...i just dont know what else to do
Old May 24, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

206 F is NOT hot. 225 F is not hot. 240 F is hot. Your coolant system, with proper coolant level, condition and a pressurized cap, is good to at least 250 F.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

well im glad to hear that...i really wouldnt think the head gasket would go on my car...the way i drive...i should be driving a toyota prius
Old May 24, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

i found my boost, air fuel logs on their dyno database if you want me to email them let me know!
Old May 24, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

I think we have established that you are OK, just a lil' knock up top that your tuner can clean up.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dyezak
I think we have established that you are OK, just a lil' knock up top that your tuner can clean up.
i hope so....a/f stays around 11 under boost and at 14 while cruising which seems okay so i dont think im running lean or rich

maybe its a boost leak
Old May 24, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you are still worried, send em to me and I'll look em over. I'm cooking dinner so I am bored
Old May 24, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

haha i am worried and im bummed that i made such little power when i know i can make way more!

i bought a new turbo, cams, injectors, intercooler and gained 50whp....most guys are making like 400whp with the setup i have....ill email you the boost and afr thing...

thanks a lot...i already sent the logs lol
Old May 24, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

That log from your dyno run looks good too. One thing however, your tuner isn't pushing you for max power, they are tuning you for safe reliable power. You are 11.2 at peak torque going to 10.9 at max hp. I assume you can pick up 10-15hp with a more agressive tune at the expense of some reliability. Remember however, your tuner has to insulate himself from risk. If he tunes a car and it blows up 2 weeks later he is liable. So most tuners are going to give you a safe tune so they don't get sued.

The knock isn't from AFR as long as the current state of the car hasn't changed from these logs. It's either from bad gas, boost leak, or increased heat in the air. And based on the fact you have a better FMIC than me, larger cams, and a fatter AFR...the increased timing I noticed is fine.

My bet is something has changed since these logs. Probably a boost leak...

The reason your HP is low however is the boost level. 25psi on your setup is low for when people really start pushing the BBK and going for power. If you retune for 30psi I bet you'd be over the 400whp mark. If you go for 30psi on E85 using map switching you'll have a killer setup.

Last edited by dyezak; May 24, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

alright thanks a lot for your help! its people like you that make this site helpful because i have very little knowledge in terms of tuning. i agree with you 100% about the tuner and will run a boost leak test ASAP.

the only thing that i can think of that may have caused my low numbers was my ngk bpr7es plugs were like 9 months old. after i got the tune i replaced them with ngk bpr8es plugs gapped to .028

Quick Reply: coolant temp goes from 192 to 206....why?