Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can Fouled Plugs cause Knock?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dastallion951
well to add my 0.02 since u running rich becuz ur plugs are gettin black on u repeatedly...whats ur stft and ltft trims running at??? if there off then ur tunes gonna be off???
Fuel trims only effect closed loop feedback(idle and part throttle), and this is only true depending on if he's even running closed loop and what settings he's using. Even if he is running closed loop, as long as fuel trims are within upper and lower limits(+/- 25% or whatever he's got them set to), the ecu will still be able to hit it's target AFR of 14.7:1 in closed loop. Only if the fuel tables are off their mark more than the percentage limits(or some other fueling error), will the ECU not be able to hit it's target AFR. Unless of course, his plugs are so badly fouled, that they can't sustain self cleaning temp, then none of this matter anyway until the fueling is corrected.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by iTune
You're running so rich, that it's causing mis-fires, which will read lean AFRs. Once the plug mis-fires enough times, it will foul completely. Running this rich will also cause knock all on it's own. I suspected this, which is what i was trying to explain to 03whitegsr. It's the why i was referring to.
Actually, we were both after the same thing, just different ways of going about it. My point was to figure out if there truly was detonation happening, because if it's not detonating, something else is causing the issue. First thing I would have looked at in this case would have been the tune based on the plugs showing a rich condition. But he was focused on the "knock" aspect so I just addressed that question.

As for Iridiums, hey, like you said, if they replace them for 2 years and you get a new set every 3 months... then you just kind of proved the point they don't last any longer. Maybe I'm missing something though?

But getting them for free makes up for it, provided they cooperate and don't make it a big hassle.

My experience with Iridiums is minimal because I don't like paying out the *** for consumables. On coppers though, everything from 250 HP at 15 psi on T25s on pump gas to 40+ PSI on GT42Rs on VP Import.