Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Valvoline VR1 20w-50 Race Oil?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Broham
http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/dominat...urBall_900.jpg Your answer has no valid data, it's just "it works" and "thats what he recommends." Why?? Buschur is not the authority on oil, and half a million dollar race cars run Amsoil and mobil 1. Why would the brian penn "perform" better than dominator? Can you elaborate? This is not to fight, I just need to know why he is saying this in more technical terms.

Buschur, if you can chime in that'd be great. Thanks
People have preferences, data is great but why are there so many different oil companies? Because people prefer to use specific products be it due to patronage or a bad experience with another product.

Mike and Buschur and all engine builders are people they have lived a life of experience and if they feel something works better then they choose their oil based on that. Synthetic test are nice but they dont always show real world circumstances just like dyno will give you a horse power number but your car will run different day to day based on numerous variables.

Josh
Old May 28, 2010, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wreckless,

thank you for the honest answer. If it is just "general preference" and "its worked well for me out there" I can understand. But as far as saying this will work better on my engine, why? the only logical recommendation from a builder that would make sense would be if they said use this weight 10w 15w 20w etc and fully synthetic etc. But i get what you mean man. I guess the same can be said about rod and piston companies.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

wreckless,

thank you for the honest answer. If it is just "general preference" and "its worked well for me out there" I can understand. But as far as saying this will work better on my engine, why? the only logical recommendation from a builder that would make sense would be if they said use this weight 10w 15w 20w etc and fully synthetic etc. But i get what you mean man. I guess the same can be said about rod and piston companies.
I mean the tests are nice but look at it. 1800 RPMs for an hour. That's not real world driving let alone real world Evo driving and what does the number represent? the depth of scaring? How long the scars are? How many?

Id like a test with 2 Evos driving X amount of miles with 2 different oils then lets see those babies pulled apart. That's a test that would get my attention.

And considering how many engines Mike and David have pulled apart I'm inclined to listen to whatever they have to say lol
Old May 28, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

i stand corrected. the data from amsoil is not applicable enough to buschur or mike's "Real world" data. but this doesn't explain why any oil other than fully synthetic would ever be preferred. it would explain what has worked for them but not "better than synthetic" like the op's mechanic said.
Old May 28, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i stand corrected. the data from amsoil is not applicable enough to buschur or mike's "Real world" data. but this doesn't explain why any oil other than fully synthetic would ever be preferred. it would explain what has worked for them but not "better than synthetic" like the op's mechanic said.
true but if you are going to change your oil once a month or every 1500 miles there is no need for synthetic...buy the cheap ****...

i know guys who change it after every track event...or dyno session...if you are going to do that...then it never has the chance to break down the oil...

so why waste the money on syn?
Old May 28, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just saw and ad for Vr1 20w 50 race oil in full synthetic. I just put the Vr1 20w 50 in and would be glad to send a small sample to someone when i change my oil. Ill probably go Vr1 2-w 50 race oil full sythetic in 2k miles.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gamebred26
true but if you are going to change your oil once a month or every 1500 miles there is no need for synthetic...buy the cheap ****...

i know guys who change it after every track event...or dyno session...if you are going to do that...then it never has the chance to break down the oil...

so why waste the money on syn?
I see your point, but when it comes to a High HP/Race Car, there's a little more to it and why I disagree with your general statement that there's no application for synthetic oils... This may also shed some light on why 'Race Shops' offer different oil recommendations based on the application - putting aside weight and bearing clearances for now...

Let me explain my thought process with this example...
I change my oil in my TT car after each day of racing - typical day is 4-to-5 20 minute sessions, aprx ~120 miles... My car consumes, in road race mode ~ 4mpg - I easily burn threw 30 gallons of fuel in a day - and a set of tires for sure These are not normal driving conditions that a street driven car sees - the amount of continuous heavy loads, high rev's and HEAT produced in a single day of racing is more than majority of car's see in a lifetime...

Now on a street driven car or High HP/Race car, you get the same byproducts of burnt fuel, i.e., carbon, soot, water, nitric acid, etc., this is often referred to as 'contamination'. These byproducts end up contaminating the oil, but at a much longer duration on a street driven car given the nature of the driving environment and duration that it takes to consume fuel/mpg. Changing your oil removes the byproducts and 1k-2k miles oil change intervals on a street driven car is acceptable in most cases...

MPG Comparison:
Street Driven Car @ 23mpg * 30 gallons of fuel = 690 miles...
High HP/Race Car @ 4mpg * 30 gallons of fuel = 120 miles...

Now factor in that street driven car rarely sees 'continuous' heavy loads, high rev's and does not generate the excessive heat you do in race conditions, oil change intervals can be extended between 1k-2k miles based upon your driving habits...

Now, given the above, some might be asking themselves then what's the difference between conventional oil vs racing synthetics and if the byproducts that cause contamination are a condition of fuel burnt, then increase oil change intervals should be sufficient in all conditions...? That's where I disagree. The key driver why racing synthetic oils have the advantage over conventional motor oils are the additives and oils they formulate into their blends to resist 'breakdown' under High HP/Racing conditions... Please note, 'oil breakdown' is much different than 'byproduct contamination' from burning fuel.

I agree with your statement if the conditions are the same - just increase oil change intervals to remove the byproducts/contamination from burning fuel... But when you're producing High HP (more the HP, more the heat) and/or racing (continuous heavy loads/high rev's), you need a product that can operate in those conditions and not 'breakdown', formulated synthetics can, and other oils can not. All synthetics are not created equal, and the same can be said for conventional oils, but that's a whole other can of worms...

Cliff notes:
- Burning fuel causes byproducts that contaminate oil
- The more fuel you burn, then more contaminates in your oil
- Oil changes remove contaminates
- High HP/Race cars burn more fuel than street driven cars (note fuel consumed and not mileage driven when determining oil change intervals)
- Oil breakdown is different than oil contamination
- Breakdown can happen rapidly in High HP/Race cars do to continuous heavy loads/high rev's and excessive heat
- Formulated race synthetics have additives and oils to prevent breakdown, conventional oils do not

Last edited by Philthy748; May 28, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EGbeater (Nov 10, 2023)
Old May 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
I just saw and ad for Vr1 20w 50 race oil in full synthetic. I just put the Vr1 20w 50 in and would be glad to send a small sample to someone when i change my oil. Ill probably go Vr1 2-w 50 race oil full sythetic in 2k miles.
I've never since VR1 that was not synthetic...
Old May 28, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Philthy748
I've never since VR1 that was not synthetic...
Do you know what % synthetic it is? I checked the website but it just says Full Synthetic
Old May 28, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Do you know what % synthetic it is? I checked the website but it just says Full Synthetic
The VR1 that I've purchased has always stated Full Synthetic... I have a bunch in the garage and can take a pic when I get home...
Old May 28, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Philthy748
The VR1 that I've purchased has always stated Full Synthetic... I have a bunch in the garage and can take a pic when I get home...
Yeah but Full isn't the same as 100%
Old May 28, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah but Full isn't the same as 100%
yes, that is true in some cases, damn those marketing people... I'll post up the details once I get home...
Old May 28, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks
Old May 28, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks
Just check the VR1 I have at home and they don't list any breakdown or % - just a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo - I'm just going to take it that Full Synthetic does imply 100% Synthetic...
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Id like to see those results also if you dont mind keeping us updated..

Mike
Name:  E16531.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  172.2 KB

Here is the oil analysis after the first 1000 miles. Will send again in another 1500-3000 and hope to see the metals come down after the break in. Just thought I would provide some analysis information on this oil with a new motor.

Quick Reply: Valvoline VR1 20w-50 Race Oil?