Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

NEED HELP!!! I've got no oil pressure!!

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP!!! I've got no oil pressure!!

My motor was just rebuilt on my 03 Evo. My friends went to start it up yesterday and I have 0 oil pressure!!! They took the pump off and everything looks fine, but the inlet line is bone dry. Just tryin to see if anyone has had the same problem or if anyone may have an idea before I just replace the pump all together. Thanks guys!
Old May 27, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw one guy post something similar to this. He removed the timing belt and spun the oil pump with a drill. If you don't have lots of assembly lube in the pump it can have hard time drawing up fresh oil when its completely dry.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20gmr
I saw one guy post something similar to this. He removed the timing belt and spun the oil pump with a drill. If you don't have lots of assembly lube in the pump it can have hard time drawing up fresh oil when its completely dry.
Although I know you have an 03, but on my motor I spun the oil pump with a drill to get oil pressure to the MIVEC cam so I could set the timing.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

You need to pack the oil pump with petroleum based jelly (vaseline) when you put a fresh dry pump in a new build. This will help to keep it from wearing into the front case or oil pump case on dry start up and it will create enough vacuum to prime the oil pump. Also, if your motor is built did you do the balance shaft elimination? Did the bearings get turned? If not then you won't get any oil pressure either.

Josh
Old May 27, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
You need to pack the oil pump with petroleum based jelly (vaseline) when you put a fresh dry pump in a new build. This will help to keep it from wearing into the front case or oil pump case on dry start up and it will create enough vacuum to prime the oil pump. Also, if your motor is built did you do the balance shaft elimination? Did the bearings get turned? If not then you won't get any oil pressure either.

Josh
good points, but new oil pumps come with assembly lube in them, I just like to add some more.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:00 AM

hmmmm.... im not an expert on evos I own a honda, but just throwing things out here, is it the correct oil pump? since you said its new, is the crank spining the oil pump? i dont think not having lube on your oil pump would cause this, maybe theres a hole on the pick up tube where its sucking air from where it connects to the oil pump??? or a warn out gasket of the pick up tube...???? dont turn your car on just prime the motor take the fuel fuse out and crank the car take the oil line from the turbo of and see if its pushing oil or not....
Old May 27, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by colocho19
hmmmm.... im not an expert on evos I own a honda, but just throwing things out here, is it the correct oil pump? since you said its new, is the crank spining the oil pump? i dont think not having lube on your oil pump would cause this, maybe theres a hole on the pick up tube where its sucking air from where it connects to the oil pump??? or a warn out gasket of the pick up tube...???? dont turn your car on just prime the motor take the fuel fuse out and crank the car take the oil line from the turbo of and see if its pushing oil or not....
edited

Josh
Old Aug 19, 2015, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Having a similar issue on my 03.
I unplugged the crank sensor and cam sensor and left the oil feed line on the head loose to see if any oil would come out from the head. I cranked it for a good 15 seconds and I am not getting any oil to the head.
The head is also equipped with a kiggly hla if that makes any difference..
Just trying to get some ideas on what the issue may be. Engine is a built 2.0 long rod..

Last edited by Ude Lose; Aug 19, 2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Tried cranking it again last night and I still have got no oil pressure..
I checked the oil cooler lines and they were bone dry. Need some advice on what to try next
Old Aug 21, 2015, 07:57 AM

In the case of oil cooler line, there's a thermostat in the oil filter housing that prevents oil from going to the cooler until a certain temperature is reached.

Did you build this motor yourself? Any chance the oil squirter's not installed properly and leaking pressure? Did you remove the balancer shaft?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Spin the crank with a drill. Just make sure you cover the holes if you have the valve cover off. It will shoot up to 10 feet in the air. It's not like I have oil stains on my garage rafter to prove it. :}
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cogito
In the case of oil cooler line, there's a thermostat in the oil filter housing that prevents oil from going to the cooler until a certain temperature is reached.

Did you build this motor yourself? Any chance the oil squirter's not installed properly and leaking pressure? Did you remove the balancer shaft?
I bought the motor / head already built with only roughly 1k miles on it.
The balance shaft is still intact...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The oil pumps do not come pre lubed. You have to prime them for a good 5 min with a drill. You will never get oil pressure if you don't. take the timing belt off and spin the oil pump with a drill.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

I just use a hand pump and pump a quart of what ever oil I use to prime my engine with trough a port in the oil filter housing.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Well I got the oil pressure to come up. Its at roughly 32 while cranking, I also have good fuel pressure and the timing marks are spot on. But now it will crank and stumble and pop but won't turn over...

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!!! I've got no oil pressure!!