Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Idle and Boost problems ( Videos )

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Idle and Boost problems ( !!!Videos update!!! )

Well i just bought my 03 Evo 8 a few days ago and I have to say it feels slower then my 95 Eclipse GST did back when i had it and i didnt have that many mods done to it besides 3inch turbo back, Intake and Cold pipe with HKS BOV. I know the Evo has to have more power then what my Evo is putting out . First off it idles rough. Its shakes alil and if i turn the A/C on it get even worse, It threw a code yesterday and i went to auto Advace Auto to get it checked out and the guy said the code said it was to high of a idle???? WTH? The cars idle is running low and shakes, why would the ECU read a "high Idle" ?. My 2nd problem is when and it seem to do it when it wants to while im under boost between 4000 RPMs and 6000 RPMs it just stops putting out power, like it just doesnt want to go. My boost gauge reads between 10 PSI and 15 PSI at that point and the RPMs dont go anywhere, WTH? Boost leak? MAF messing up? Someone help! The car has 96k on her and only mods are stock intake with stock intake box with K&N Filter, Boost gauge and Apexi Turbo Timer. I just put in some octane booster and some shell Fuel Sytem Cleaner after i found out these two problems and to see if it would fix them both but nothing has changed. Should i do a boost leak test and a Compression check? take it to the deal? what? The dealer where i bought the car from said he thinks the clutch was going out but that can be because the RPMs stick and the car doesnt go anywhere, if it was a bad clutch wouldnt the RMPs go higher and the car not go anywhere? Any info would be really great. I love the Evo but it shouldnt feel slower then my GST I had.

Here are the Short Videos i took and i can take more if yall need them. Thanks again

Video 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0vys5fh-A

Video 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70aGCTNUiTE

Last edited by Tanman1986; May 27, 2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vacumm leak or a boost leak
Old May 26, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

do a leak check..
Old May 26, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
Vacumm leak or a boost leak
gdamm forum guru
Old May 26, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aman
do a leak check..
Leak check is next on my list, The car does reach 19psi when it runs right but the next shift it will always want to act like a dead fish in the water and just not want to go anywhere
Old May 26, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Log it during a pull and see if it's knocking. If it is knocking and it's bad enough, the car will pull quite a bit of timing and it will feel like it's not going anywhere, sort of what you're describing. Just another thing for you to check out. Boost leak/compression/leakdown are also good ideas.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Log it during a pull and see if it's knocking. .
I dont have anything to log it with
Old May 27, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Might want to see if you can find another Evo owner in your area who could let you use their laptop/tactrix cable, or just get your own. If you start modding/tuning your car, you'll probably want your own anyway
Old May 27, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Might want to see if you can find another Evo owner in your area who could let you use their laptop/tactrix cable, or just get your own. If you start modding/tuning your car, you'll probably want your own anyway
I was just thinking about that last night when u asked me to log the car. So what type of program do i need to download on the laptop when i get a tactrix cable? and what all does the program do and most importantly will it help me?
Old May 27, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

you will need evoscan/ and a tactrix cable...you can probably find someone on here selling it....or get it from there website....

probably wont help you, but it will help us help you