Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Interesting find, 2004 Hyundai Sonata Ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting find, 2004 Hyundai Sonata Ignition coils

Kinda funny how I found these, but anyway, we had a longblock 2.4L Hyundai Sonata As we were cleaning up around the shop getting rid of stuff I noticed the coils on this motor were still on there. I thought to myself, damn those coils sure look like evo coils. I took them off and surprisingly noticed they were a bit larger then the stock evo coils. Few things that are different then the stock evo coils on these 2.4l coils
1-the coil itself is physically larger (bigger is better right? )
2-the plug wire side ports will accept full size plug wires vs the dinky *** ports on the evo coils.
3-these coils only have 2 bolt mounting holes vs 3 on the evo coils.
4-the boot side is 100% soft rubber vs the evo coil that is plastic/rubber But the boots are interchangeable with the stock evo coils.

So I got to thinking I wonder if these would work on my evo since I get some missfire under WOT shift going into 4th gear with the stock oem coils. Might as well give them a try, it can't hurt that's for sure.

The 2 mounting bolt holes lined up perfectly with the valve cover (one on each side of the coil) So you will have one extra mounted hole on the valve cover, no biggie, the coils bolted down rock solid anyway with only 2 bolts holding them down.

I took the plastic boot side off the stock evo coil and put it on the 2.4L coils (didn't care for the flimsy rubber boot on the 2.4L coils. Picture 300m coil boots)
I Also had a set of NGK plug wires from a dsm and recut them to the same length as the stock evo coil wires (man the stock evo plug wires are small as hell!) And plugged those right into the coils, perfect fit!

Stock harness plugged right into the 2.4L coils as well! So no wiring needed for these coils.

So After installing them with the custom fit plug wires for #1 and #3 cylinder I went out for a test spin. Right off I noticed a smoother idle, part throttle felt the same for the most part. But at WOT there was no misfire at all. Not even at WOT shift from 1-2 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. It was smooth as glass!
So I decided to try and open up the gap a bit on the plugs, with the stock evo coils I was down to .019"-.020" I opened them up to .024" and went out to test again. Mind you at .024" plug gap with the stock evo coils the thing would missfire like a sob.
Did another 1-2 2-3 and 3-4 WOT shift and absolutely no misfire!

This might be a cheaper alternative for some people that cannot afford a full on CDI ignition setup.

I found these coils online for $82.95 a piece, not too shabby for price.
Here is the link for the coils http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/hyu...ignition-coil/
They are the 3rd ones down labeled 1999 - 2005 Hyundai Sonata Prenco Ignition Coil

Thought I would share this with everyone as it seemed to work very well with my car.
I will try and get some comparison pictures of the stock evo coils and the 2.4L Sonata coils.

Last edited by evodude32; May 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very interesting.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm.... way to be the guinea pig
Old May 27, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR_Lance
hmmm.... way to be the guinea pig
I guess I should have said I do have an AEM EMS in the car, but even with the stock coil dwell settings, these coils worked. So they will work on stock ecu's as well.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

these perform better than 300m coils in your opinion?
Old May 28, 2010, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As ghetto as it sounded when I started reading, nice job on providing the community on cheaper alternatives! Hope they work out for you!
Old May 28, 2010, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

a local evo owner runs these on the stock ecu with cams, 57 trim etc. He told me what they were, and I was like huh? Im planning to talk to him about any issues he had wiring them and getting them setup. Definitely a cheaper alternative.

appoligize. just saw that you are only running 2. My bud is running with a homemade C.O.P. setup (4). Im almost positive he said they were hyundai coils, but maybe not the same exact ones as you. I dont recall seeing an open plug for the plug wire on them.

Last edited by charlie.tunah; May 28, 2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting. I wonder if we could easily find the specs on these. Are they made by Denso?

I actually have a pretty strong set of stock coils, i was able to run .028-.032 on the stock turbo at high boost and am now running .024 on my FP Black setup with 500whp and no misfires. Most people have to gap down to .018-.020 at these power levels on the stock coils.

Last edited by iTune; May 28, 2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if the improvement was due to the coils being newer? or the ability to use better ignition wires? (NGK wires are one of the best wires out there).

Or, are they actually better coils?
Old May 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

It's hard saying if these coils are better, but in my case they were obviously better then my stock coils. Hell, for all I know my stock coils could have been dying. Hard telling. As far as power goes, I didn't really feel any difference in power. Just smoother and no misfire. But they do work for sure. Like I said they look almost exactly like the stock evo coils, just in a larger form. So I'm sure they were manufactured by the same company that built the coils for the evo. Denzo maybe? Not sure.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
As ghetto as it sounded when I started reading, nice job on providing the community on cheaper alternatives! Hope they work out for you!

Hey, the DSMer in me took over
Old May 28, 2010, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hitman28
these perform better than 300m coils in your opinion?
300m coils without a CDI? Yes, these coils are much better IMHO. Not sure how they would fair against the 300m coils WITH a CDI system though.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Reviving an old thread! Anyone else running sonata 2.4l coils? safe? I need to replace mine bad!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Great find that for the alternative!!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by evodude32
It's hard saying if these coils are better, but in my case they were obviously better then my stock coils. Hell, for all I know my stock coils could have been dying. Hard telling. As far as power goes, I didn't really feel any difference in power. Just smoother and no misfire. But they do work for sure. Like I said they look almost exactly like the stock evo coils, just in a larger form. So I'm sure they were manufactured by the same company that built the coils for the evo. Denzo maybe? Not sure.
I would suspect there was something wrong with your stock coils and wires. there are tuners on here pushing bone stock ignition to 550whp and beyond. kinda silt to think and hyundai coil would be better than evo coil?

Quick Reply: Interesting find, 2004 Hyundai Sonata Ignition coils