Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

need help on deciding on which cams to get..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah pretty much the same situation at u 7-7.5k rpm is prob all ill push it to

Originally Posted by GG06MR
How high are you planning to rev the motor? Greg at GSC told me to go with S1's if I don't intend to rev it much over the stock redline, and it sounds like you're in at least a similar situation as me.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the AMS test is the gospel dont question it. LOL . i dont understand why you make a comment of its expensive blah blah blah any mod you do on the evo can get pricey. mods are not cheap hommie but i would only go with kelford or s2 if you get s1 or hks you will reget it and end up doing another cam install when you actually decide to start making real power.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ +1 go big or go home

Keep in mind the AMS cam test had a ported head.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

rockman, nobody questions the power of the s2 or kelford, but the op didn't say "i want power" if he wants "no loss" below the hks is mildd cam that will give a low gain but no low end loss virtually. is it the best ? No. is it great ? no would i get it? clearly not, but if you for some bizarre reason want no low end power loss stay stock or old as hks 272. those tests are on an 8 but on a 9 the hks also has virtually 0 loss down low. /end rant

yo rock, the kelford cams are still not here. supposedly it got shipped to the wrong house by ups. what luck lol how do u like the aps bov? do you experience any leaks or it getting stuck above 25 psi?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for your information im saying its pricey to rule out a few different options and by being pricey i was talking about instead of cams a turbo upgrade etc. PLUS i wasnt saying i wanted to make crazy power i want to have low end and have a nice powerband so please dont start bashing my comments until you understand what im saying.

Originally Posted by RockmanX
the AMS test is the gospel dont question it. LOL . i dont understand why you make a comment of its expensive blah blah blah any mod you do on the evo can get pricey. mods are not cheap hommie but i would only go with kelford or s2 if you get s1 or hks you will reget it and end up doing another cam install when you actually decide to start making real power.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

evo9,

this is getting silly. nobody will recommend anything but kelford or hks and here is why:

the gains up top are simply too high, in the s2 sometimes over 40whp with the proper turbo setup versus a few hundred rpm low. nobody will say "my low end is weak" they will simply rev higher and enjoy the power. if you want to go against the majority and pay a lot of money for a cam install twice get the s1 or hks 272, once you are disappointed on the dyno and no power up top, you'll get the s2 or kelford then you'll say "oooo, now i see why they say it"

actually, you might be better off messing with cam timing by changing gears and sticking with the stock cams really. no need in upgrading unless you get s2's or kelford or fp cams with a bigger turbo later.
i'm done here
Old Jun 1, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ev0lution9
for your information im saying its pricey to rule out a few different options and by being pricey i was talking about instead of cams a turbo upgrade etc. PLUS i wasnt saying i wanted to make crazy power i want to have low end and have a nice powerband so please dont start bashing my comments until you understand what im saying.
i understand perfectly what you are saying trust me . i get pms all day from people asking questions because im always around been there done that

Originally Posted by Broham
rockman, nobody questions the power of the s2 or kelford, but the op didn't say "i want power" if he wants "no loss" below the hks is mildd cam that will give a low gain but no low end loss virtually. is it the best ? No. is it great ? no would i get it? clearly not, but if you for some bizarre reason want no low end power loss stay stock or old as hks 272. those tests are on an 8 but on a 9 the hks also has virtually 0 loss down low. /end rant

yo rock, the kelford cams are still not here. supposedly it got shipped to the wrong house by ups. what luck lol how do u like the aps bov? do you experience any leaks or it getting stuck above 25 psi?
I love my aps bov i seen it hold 42 psi easly. I have never had mine above 15psi to be honest. I had a cracked megan manifold when i bought the car. So i was upgrading around it in my car i knew i was going to create "Mona Lisa" so did not bother and i knew i was going to build the car so i focus on gathering parts and doing exterior work. Now my boy mellon has been rocking the the aps bov for aminute 35psi and up. Bov is a beast and i always recommend it period. Now about your cams they will come in the seller was legit i have bought a oil pump from him and jms got my fp 4pr cams so im good just hang tight i hope he put insurance on it if not looks like you might be getting paid out then you can get some fp 4prs and join the club

Originally Posted by Broham
evo9,

this is getting silly. nobody will recommend anything but kelford or hks and here is why:

the gains up top are simply too high, in the s2 sometimes over 40whp with the proper turbo setup versus a few hundred rpm low. nobody will say "my low end is weak" they will simply rev higher and enjoy the power. if you want to go against the majority and pay a lot of money for a cam install twice get the s1 or hks 272, once you are disappointed on the dyno and no power up top, you'll get the s2 or kelford then you'll say "oooo, now i see why they say it"

actually, you might be better off messing with cam timing by changing gears and sticking with the stock cams really. no need in upgrading unless you get s2's or kelford or fp cams with a bigger turbo later.
i'm done here
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss sir perfect response glad i did not have to type it

Last edited by RockmanX; Jun 1, 2010 at 02:55 PM.