Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

need help on deciding on which cams to get..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help on deciding on which cams to get..

Ok i know there is a million threads about this but i just cannot find many threads on my setup and what i plan on doing. i have an evo 9 with full bolt ons. i do not want to sacrifice any bottom end power at all because it is a DD. i would like quicker spool and some topend to hold boost better. i may upgrade the turbo in the future but only to a stock frame turbo(FP or BBK). but for now i want to get cams for my application as is. i originally wanted kelford 272's but now that ive been researching alot i see that bottom end is sacrificed for top end gains. ive been starting to lean towards GSC S1's or S2's. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Kelfords 272's and gsc s2 are the only I would go with for your setup now and future. All cams will suffer some low end but by how much is the question. kelford and gsc s2 are going to be the only to give you good mid and up top with minimal loss at bottem.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Really? ive been looking around and have seen that the gsc s1's suffer the least bottom end loss. the s2 and kelford 272 seem to be for turbo upgrades but i guess i could be wrong this is just what ive been seeing.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:48 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ev0lution9
i do not want to sacrifice any bottom end power at all because it is a DD. i would like quicker spool....
...stick with the stock IX cams.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with s1's if you must have cams. kelford 272 you will lose some bottom end. s2's are a 274 cam so not what you want either. S1 is about your only option for cams. If your that worried about losing bottom end though, why not go with some other upgrades for now?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Depends. I doubt you will get a lot of responses where people ran multiple setups.

If you want to do the springs then go with S2. If you want to stick with stock valvetrain then go with S1.

I recently installed S1, if I knew/ wanted to do the valvetrain then I would probably went with S2.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

well i dont want to sacrifice bottom end because i love it plus its DD and i am staying stock valvetrain so i would rather have low end and mid range power over topend. i would love to go with other mods but everything is so damn expensive. i dont want to do meth. i would love to upgrade the turbo but its so much damn money.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

im actually deciding between the s2 and kelfords at the moment. like everyone else said, you will need to upgrade at least some of your valvetrain. so if you are not willing to do this, either stick with stock cams (their damn good anyway) or go with some less aggressive.

you should also build for your future power goals. so if you plan on upgrading the turbo down the road, go with cams that will work with that application so you are not buying twice just to have some short term power gains. its all going to be expensive, its the name of the game brotha. GL
Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

If you are staying with the stock valvetrain, then why are you even considering kelfords or S2? Your only option really is s1's.

You won't see any lower end lose and your hp curve will continue climbing at about 6.5krpm +, in stead of dropping like it probably is now.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

actually ive talked to a few tuners and they told me the kelford 272's are fine for the stock valvetrain so its between them and the s1's or just another route that will take longer to build.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
actually, its incorrect. the hks 272's from back in the day have the least bottom end loss and reasonable gains up top. check the ams thread for graphs. performance wise they are good, but the s2's will blow them away. when you say "low end loss" it's irrelevant because the top end gain is too much with an s2 over stock. if you really must have low end you will sacrifice top end. the closest is the stock cam or the hks 272 from like 4 years ago.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

yeah but the thing is that test was done on an evo8, the cams on the evo8 and the 9 are totally different.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ev0lution9
actually ive talked to a few tuners and they told me the kelford 272's are fine for the stock valvetrain so its between them and the s1's or just another route that will take longer to build.
How high are you planning to rev the motor? Greg at GSC told me to go with S1's if I don't intend to rev it much over the stock redline, and it sounds like you're in at least a similar situation as me.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S2's plus beehives and call it a day.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

stock cams with camwheels and play with the timing

Quick Reply: need help on deciding on which cams to get..