Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evosick2332 Complete Build thread!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evosick2332
The AEM EMS V2 had some bugs in it and wouldnt idle right and be very inconsistent after hours of dialing it all in. I switched back to Version 1 and going to be using that.
Oh so you are back on AEM Series 1 now? Did you try the new V17 firmware? There are several fixes in that release and it is very well round now. One MAIN fix being idle control and another a proven misfire condition in the 2000's rpm range mainly on Mitsubishi applcations that was corrected. Series 2 is very different from Series 1 in many aspects and my experience on a few cars is proving this to be very true. The guys at AEM have said this many times.

I've had an ongoing issue with misfires and cutouts/bucking that turned out to be the Injection Phasing. It appears the Evo platform especially is very sensitive to changes here. A couple changes today, first one matching the exact settings I've successfully used on Series 1 were terrible on Series 2. I then tried the Evo 8 base cal settings and so far appear to be the best overall and my bucking is gone and misfires appear to be very limited. I hope to dial the car in very precisely now.

Just food for thought.

Last edited by itzwolf; Aug 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by itzwolf
Oh so you are back on AEM Series 1 now? Did you try the new V17 firmware? There are several fixes in that release and it is very well round now. One MAIN fix being idle control and another a proven misfire condition in the 2000's rpm range mainly on Mitsubishi applcations that was corrected. Series 2 is very different from Series 1 in many aspects and my experience on a few cars is proving this to be very true. The guys at AEM have said this many times.

I've had an ongoing issue with misfires and cutouts/bucking that turned out to be the Injection Phasing. It appears the Evo platform especially is very sensitive to changes here. A couple changes today, first one matching the exact settings I've successfully used on Series 1 were terrible on Series 2. I then tried the Evo 8 base cal settings and so far appear to be the best overall and my bucking is gone and misfires appear to be very limited. I hope to dial the car in very precisely now.

Just food for thought.
Thank you for the advice pal We did infaact using multiple calibrations that the series 2 wouldn't accept along with the new V17 firmware. We sent the series 2 unit back to AEM and are currently waiting on a response. I will keep you updated on what the out comes is.

-Cisco
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol i know right, these damn cars, thanks jason, congrats on ur runs and taking 2nd place for stock appearing
So you were the guy pulling his 10 sec evo with a blacked out SS.... damn rich people ... !!!! good job on the times.. and beautiful car.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

LOL yea that was me, the shootout was awesome. Cant wait till next year Was hoping for a 9 sec pass but ill take the 10.0. Going back in a week or so with E85 and hopefully not no 93 degree day and see if i can pull off a 9.7 pass
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

good luck man, it was nasty heat at the shootout ... I was not as lucky as you , had ****ty launch ( need more nitrous for the stall) ... ended the day at the shootout with 11.07 @ 142.51
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by antilag_200
good luck man, it was nasty heat at the shootout ... I was not as lucky as you , had ****ty launch ( need more nitrous for the stall) ... ended the day at the shootout with 11.07 @ 142.51

Thanks man you to! Yea it was really hot, in the morning it wasnt as bad but its just got hotter and hotter as the day went on That trap is nasty dude, 9 sec trap for sure
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Strictly Modified
Thank you for the advice pal We did infaact using multiple calibrations that the series 2 wouldn't accept along with the new V17 firmware. We sent the series 2 unit back to AEM and are currently waiting on a response. I will keep you updated on what the out comes is.

-Cisco
Interesting. Definitely update us on what they find, I am quite curious what the problem ends up being.

I've had my box modified with new coolant, cam, and crank resistors. An original issue I had was random hard cuts normally under WOT conditions. It turned out Series 2 was very sensitive to the cam sensor readings and it would drop out randomly. Funny thing was the car ran SOLID on Series 1 not skipping a single beat. I tested another cam sensor and no cuts and the signal was visually different so I bought a new one on the spot.

I guess you can say on one hand thats nice its more sensitive so problems are noticed before a complete failure, but on the other hand I'd imagine this will bring a lot of people grief cause it would appear its almost to sensitive and people will blame the Series 2 before anything else... hell I did

Good luck, I love this build!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

wow he knows how to drive ,,,
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks everyone for the compliments
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks everyone for the compliments
im glad everything worked out buddy if you had not heard no more SM tranny for me but SM is fully rebuilding my exedy to brand new status for the build so this will be exciting
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love the car very clean
Old Aug 21, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Rockman I saw ur clutch at SM on Wednesday when I was there, gunna get it rebuilt nice. So ur not going with the SM tranny? Thanks guys!! I try to keep it as clean as possible.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Rockman I saw ur clutch at SM on Wednesday when I was there, gunna get it rebuilt nice. So ur not going with the SM tranny? Thanks guys!! I try to keep it as clean as possible.
ill send you a pm bro tranny was a POS. NOT SM fault you will see

Last edited by RockmanX; Aug 21, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by itzwolf
Interesting. Definitely update us on what they find, I am quite curious what the problem ends up being.

I've had my box modified with new coolant, cam, and crank resistors. An original issue I had was random hard cuts normally under WOT conditions. It turned out Series 2 was very sensitive to the cam sensor readings and it would drop out randomly. Funny thing was the car ran SOLID on Series 1 not skipping a single beat. I tested another cam sensor and no cuts and the signal was visually different so I bought a new one on the spot.

I guess you can say on one hand thats nice its more sensitive so problems are noticed before a complete failure, but on the other hand I'd imagine this will bring a lot of people grief cause it would appear its almost to sensitive and people will blame the Series 2 before anything else... hell I did

Good luck, I love this build!
Your right that can be a good and bad thing. We had the same experience this car on series 1 performs like a champ. I will send you a pm once i get the series 2 back.

Rockman - Im glad your transaction with evokid03 didn't affect our friendship!

-Cisco

Quick Reply: Evosick2332 Complete Build thread!!