Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What would you do next?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do next?

So I got the car tuned yesterday on a mustang dyno at Boomba Racing. The car put down 288whp and 265wtq. The car runs great, but I'm craving more power lol.

power mods that matter:
Built 10.0:1 motor with Kelford 272s and supertech valvetrain
AEM intake
Dc sports downpipe
custom 3" exhaust with just 2 short resonators
xspower fmic
stock o2/stock turbo w/ 10.5 hotside
walbro 255 pump

everything else is stock

I have a 9 turbo with a ported o2 housing sitting at home. Debating whether its worth it to put it on or sell it and get other supporting mods. What kind of gains can be expected going from a stock 8 turbo with 10.5 hotside to a 9 turbo? I't's either put the 9 turbo w/ ported o2 housing on or sell them and get intercooler piping and possibly a new wga to help hold more boost as its at 23 psi tapering to 18 right now. I also have a cobb AP that I dont need anymore up for sale.

Input/opinions?

Last edited by screwdgie; Jun 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

If you already have the 9 turbo and its paid for - install that turbo and sell the stock one...

next would be intercooler and lower i/c pipe

next would be E85 and injectors and retune

next would be a intake manifold - ported buschur stock intake manifold or an AMS VSR and boomba 75mm throttle body

Port the head with springs and retainers or buy a race head from either buschur or ams or some of the others, I just know that buschur and ams heads are exceptionally nice.

next would be a FP turbo of your choice or a turbo kit of your choice depending on your power goals and budget

do you have the shifting mods yet?

Engine torque dampner - AMS front engine mount - Stainless steel clutch line - and all the shifter bushings and a short shifter if you like a shorter throw. ( great mods and cheap to do if you have not done it and god what a difference)

After all that, depending on what you are doing with the car, weight reduction would be the next best option...

Last edited by 2003lancerevo8; Jun 4, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 09:36 AM

As much as I would like to go E85, there are like no pumps near me, so thats out.

I also should have mentioned the head has been worked over with supertech valvetrain, so that's all good.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Is the head fully ported though? just because it has the valvetrain - you would certainly see some nice gains with a fully ported head.

No pumps by you huh, we have about 4 or 5 out in mchenry, Crystal lake area
Old Jun 4, 2010, 09:57 AM

Yea the head has been ported. At least thats what the previous owner told me... I live in Palatine/hoffman estates and there is only 1 e85 pump near me that I know of down in schaumburg
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

You keep adding new parts to the mod list. Go back and edit your post with every performance part you have.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

If your head was ported. You should definitely be seeing higher numbers than that. That seems very low for ported head and what you got!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

could be a safe tune - it could not be a ported head...

how is it that people don't keep receipts of what they get done.... When I sold my car - the new owner received 20-30 receipts of EVERYTHING i did to my car.

I would start by installing the 9 turbo - selling the parts you don't need and pick up a intake manifold either a VSR or a stock ported buschur intake. You will lose a lil a few hundred rpms of spool but you will make up for it big time in the mid to high rpm.

you should gain 30+ whp with an intake manifold and you can pick them up used pretty cheap.

After that intake manifold, go for the intercooler and lower intercooler pipe

also a nice mod from buschur:
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...fbffbfdae02ad4

you just have to send them in yours...

I would also contact the shop that "ported" the head and try to confirm that.

Last edited by 2003lancerevo8; Jun 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by BlueEvo61106
If your head was ported. You should definitely be seeing higher numbers than that. That seems very low for ported head and what you got!

I second that...you should be seeing a lot more than that
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

^+1 Definitely get that **** done asap!!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Depending on what kind of power you are looking to make on pump gas, our 880cc injectors will support over 500whp. Should give you plenty of room for your next round of mods.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:21 AM

yea the more I think about it, the more I think the head was not ported. Either way, the car is my daily driver and i can't afford the down time with taking the head off and whatnot. Totally forgot the car has the ams knockoff/xspower fmic lol. Edited first post.

How much of a gain do you think I can expect by adding i/c piping, 9 turbo and ported o2 housing on 93 octane?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

I still have the stock VIII turbo 24psi falling to 19 and power is in my sig on a Mustang. I have ported exhaust mani and hotside, tubular O2, BR Deluxe fmic and lower pipe and that is about it over what you have.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
I still have the stock VIII turbo 24psi falling to 19 and power is in my sig on a Mustang. I have ported exhaust mani and hotside, tubular O2, BR Deluxe fmic and lower pipe and that is about it over what you have.
Hmm Im about 40 hp/tq short of where you are. I wonder if this xspower fmic is holding me back at all. I know there are plenty of people that have gone pretty fast on them though.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

that is the least of your worries..... that FM will be okay

I bet most of it is the tune - he probably has a bit more aggressive tune that you do.

Also,

What is your budget

we can come up with all the great ideas in the world however if you are only looking to spend $300 we are kinda just wastin time.... lol

Name your budget and then we can come up with the best options for ya

Quick Reply: What would you do next?