Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

problems with start up and idle?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
problems with start up and idle?

for about a week or so ive been having start up and ilde issues i need some help on what it might be

start up problem - more then half the time i go to start my car up and it doesnt fire rite up it just stumbles up to about 400rpm - 500rpm then it cant hold the idle so it dies out and then i wont be able to start my car up again for a few mins cause it just keeps cranking and cranking (soo embarrassing) this happens every where i go

idle problem - usually happens when its warmer out or mostly in traffic my idle is crap rpms dipping low with the afr ---- leaned out and the car just wants to die but im in traffic so i have to keep pressing the gas when i come to a stop so it doesnt die cause then it prob wont start up for couple mins, this happens to me everyday on the way home from work when the traffic gets bad and im in and out of first gear and come to a stop, so i stopped driving my car till i find out whats wrong

things i had replaced in the last two weeks

fp-red
spark plugs
fuel pump
injectors
fuel rail
retune

would a cop spool up help my start up issue?

any help would be very appreciated

Last edited by bbyevo8u; Jun 5, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

anyone??
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who tune your car?!?!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

dude i have this same problem! my car starts up but it has a hard time...especially when its warm. if the car is cold it fires fine though! who tuned your car? im wondering if we have the same one?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

its not the tune i just got a fresh retune from iveytune

would the cop spool up help??
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
for about a week or so ive been having start up and ilde issues i need some help on what it might be

start up problem - more then half the time i go to start my car up and it doesnt fire rite up it just stumbles up to about 400rpm - 500rpm then it cant hold the idle so it dies out and then i wont be able to start my car up again for a few mins cause it just keeps cranking and cranking (soo embarrassing) this happens every where i go

idle problem - usually happens when its warmer out or mostly in traffic my idle is crap rpms dipping low with the afr ---- leaned out and the car just wants to die but im in traffic so i have to keep pressing the gas when i come to a stop so it doesnt die cause then it prob wont start up for couple mins, this happens to me everyday on the way home from work when the traffic gets bad and im in and out of first gear and come to a stop, so i stopped driving my car till i find out whats wrong

things i had replaced in the last two weeks

fp-red
spark plugs
fuel pump
injectors
fuel rail
retune

would a cop spool up help my start up issue?

any help would be very appreciated
Boost leak? Exhaust leak? IAC?

Test those and if all check out I'd revisit the tuning making sure you injectors and MAF are scaled properly. I nice datalog will show you how your trims are looking. I mean its great the car is making power but if you can barley drive it what the hells the point.

Last edited by gsrboi80; Jun 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Boost leak? Exhaust leak? IAC?

Test those and if all check out I'd revisit the tuning making sure you injectors and MAF are scaled properly. I nice datalog will show you how your trims are looking. I mean its great the car is making power but if you can barley drive it what the hells the point.
did a boost leak test today and found one at the ic and i also found a small crack at the downpipe brace and sealed it with j & b welder hope it hold but unfortunately its not the problem, i checked all the vac line all of them are on, spark plugs look good?

whats IAC?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

whats IAC?
Idle Air Control. They are a little pricey from the dealer just to order and try but can be found in part out threads on here from time to time
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Idle Air Control. They are a little pricey from the dealer just to order and try but can be found in part out threads on here from time to time
where is it located?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
John, what kind of bov do you have? Your idling problem may be your bov if it is an atmospheric bov, it may not shutting fully and sucking in air bypassing the MAF making your AFRs go lean and the car dying/idling like ****. Start the car and check the bov. You can put your hand over the bov mouth and pinch the vacum hose on top the bov and see if it fixes the problem.

For you startup problems I will have to agree with gsrboi80. Ivey could have missed rescaling the injectors/maff for startup and you might also have problems with your IAC. Your bov could also be the problem on this but your bov would have to be fully open for it to effect startup... Check your bov and let me know what you find out. bovs can be a pain in the *** sometimes with a maff car.

Mikey
Old Jun 6, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
John, what kind of bov do you have? Your idling problem may be your bov if it is an atmospheric bov, it may not shutting fully and sucking in air bypassing the MAF making your AFRs go lean and the car dying/idling like ****. Start the car and check the bov. You can put your hand over the bov mouth and pinch the vacum hose on top the bov and see if it fixes the problem.

For you startup problems I will have to agree with gsrboi80. Ivey could have missed rescaling the injectors/maff for startup and you might also have problems with your IAC. Your bov could also be the problem on this but your bov would have to be fully open for it to effect startup... Check your bov and let me know what you find out. bovs can be a pain in the *** sometimes with a maff car.

Mikey

i have a lightly crushed ix dv

are you saying i should pull the dv out of the intake inlet pipe pinch the hose on top of the dv and cover the bottom with my hand then have someone start the car to see if it starts up better?

thanks for the help Mikey

Last edited by bbyevo8u; Jun 6, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

i have a lightly crushed ix dv

are you saying i should pull the dv out of the intake inlet pipe pinch the hose on top of the dv and cover the bottom with my hand then have someone start the car to see if it starts up better?

thanks for the help Mikey
No don't do that! That was if you are running it atmospheric but since you have a crushed IX I would assume it is still recirc? So none of what I said applied to you.

Mikey
Old Jun 6, 2010, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
No don't do that! That was if you are running it atmospheric but since you have a crushed IX I would assume it is still recirc? So none of what I said applied to you.

Mikey
better watch what you say mikey sometimes folks follow your information like the gospel haaaa OP please check you IAC as mentioned and have another tuner check the tune please
Old Jun 6, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
better watch what you say mikey sometimes folks follow your information like the gospel haaaa OP please check you IAC as mentioned and have another tuner check the tune please
ya i should have first asked what the bov he was using before telling him what to check if he was running an atmospheric bov. I did say that what I stated was if OP had a atmospheric bov, but no one listens to me. I am a bump on the log... however, lucky no one listens to you because if they did they would have to buy a new motor!

Mikey
Old Jun 6, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

my car had those symptoms pretty much. didn't want to start and if it did it would barely idle

your stepper motor also known as an idle speed control sensor is on the throttle body. your throttle body is in between your intake mani and your uicp. if you look at the trottle body from the uicp side under the pipe on the tb you'll see a black piece that has three screws holding it in. that is it. make sure to keep track of the gasket that is in between the sensor and the tb. at the dealership you looking at like $400. I picked the whole tb up from a guy i know for $75 and swapped out the part i need. you can find the tb on here for 100-150. I believe you can take one from an 8 or a 9. I have a 9 sensor on my evo 8. So if that is what is causing your problem that is everything you need to know

Quick Reply: problems with start up and idle?