Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

88mm K1 crankshaft 2.0 liter build. need some advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88mm K1 crankshaft 2.0 liter build. need some advice

Hello :P

First of all, i've used search, but i need more opinons about that item.

My motor build planning 550-600hp, deciding on turbocharger now. Pistons (HKS 85,5), rods (carrilo), bearings (ACL) and stuff is already at my garage. Suddenly i'm understand that my crank isn't in perfect shape and we just haven't good places here to just make it "perfect". So, i can just buy new OEM crank or K1. HKS is really overpriced and have some issues with quality, so let's forget about it. So with which one should i go, OEM or K1 billet one ? Thanks.

Discuss ))
Old Jun 5, 2010, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

I would go OEM. There is a local shop here that just broke a K1 crank.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Check out Manley's crank options.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest OEM.. at your HP goals youll be fine.. Not to mention we have NEVER broken a stock crank even at 1k HP..

Mike
Old Jun 5, 2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by APM Racing
I would go OEM. There is a local shop here that just broke a K1 crank.
Thanks +++

Originally Posted by Evo8luva
Check out Manley's crank options.
well, it will take alot of time to ship it to Russia, according the fact that i'm pulling out my motor on next tuesday, it's not my choice, but thanks for the advice )

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
I would suggest OEM.. at your HP goals youll be fine.. Not to mention we have NEVER broken a stock crank even at 1k HP..

Mike
Very weightly opinion, according to the signature ) Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

For the power goals, you dont need more than OEM. However, I prefer how the lightened K1 performs. If you can comfortably afford one, go for it.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 06:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
A word of advice when buying one of these Chinese-made billet crankshafts (e.g. K1, Manley, Eagle, etc.) is never install one right out of the box. Always have every journal checked for correct size, roundness, check the balance, and perform a Rockwell Hardness test at both ends. Yes, this will cost some money, but it's well spent. What I say comes not from speculation, but from real world observation.

FYI
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:42 PM

Just wonder

Has anyone ever teted the OE evo9 cranck hardness in rockwell ?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by evoixdk
Just wonder

Has anyone ever tested the OE evo9 crank hardness in rockwell ?
I can give you a rough estimate as i have tested some similar. Factory cranks are very soft on the surface. less than 30c rockwell. most on this forum believe the factory crank is forged and superior to earlier versions of the 4g63 crank. These people are misinformed. Likely form mits using the words forged to describe the internals on the evo. The early 4g63 (6 bolt) crank is much harder on the surface. over 60c. This is due to those cranks having a .004 thick nitrided layer. Eagle, manley, K1 or any other crank made in china will come with a very hard crank surface as well. This hardness does two things for you. it makes the engine far more resilient to crank walk and spun bearings.

Many years ago now both WEB and Crower sent batches of camshfts out that were not nitrided Those cams wore down in less than 2000 miles use. i was around for all the threads that popped up with cam lobes wore down from the roller rocker. In short nitriding is very valuable surface hardness. In the case of cams its absolutely necessary for cam to live. In case of engine bearings its nice to have when starting engine (no oil pressure for 2-4 seconds) or when engine detonates. instant 4000psi cylinder pressure slams rod bearings onto crank. If crank is slippery it can live. Non nitrided cranks spin bearings quite easily.

Surface hardness has very little to do with crank strength. It is an eggshell like coating to it will make it stronger. But it is minimal to the overall strength from material used itself in manufacturing the crank. Cranks made in china are going to have breakage potential form the materials used. a factory crank has proven to be about unbreakable.

In short the best crank you can put in you engine is a factory crank that has been nitrided. i have been doing this for about eight years now.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nitrided

Where can somebody send a crank to get balanced, checked for roundness, and nitrided?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ A machine shop..........preferably a reputable one.

Edit: the nitrated part i'm not sure, i know there is a company in Winnipeg that does all sorts of coatings, but that doesn't really help you at all.....for everything else machine shop