Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad shuttering and jerking from a stop with Quartermaster

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad shuttering and jerking from a stop with Quartermaster

I know a lot of people are running a QM clutch, so I thought I'd ask here. I just put this clutch in, and I cannot seem to start from a stop without serious shutter and borderline axle hop. I don't mean just a little jerky, I mean to the point where it feels like its going to break something. I've tried changing how much I slip it and nothing seems to help.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so what did you do to fix the problem? I'm pretty sure I just need to re-learn how to drive it, but I've never experienced a clutch that did this. Sorry for the stupid question, but this is really aggravating. Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
you should have researched and heeded to advice that this is a race clutch only. it will not get better for you with practice.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
you should have researched and heeded to advice that this is a race clutch only. it will not get better for you with practice.
So you're telling me the 100's of people on here who run this clutch have this problem? I think not. Its way too popular of a clutch. I can deal with all of the noise, I just need it to drive a little better.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
What I am saying is what your experiencing is normal for the clutch. Its a clutch that is not designed to be slipped. its a small diameter rally clutch designed for quick/direct shifts.

I can drive virtually any clutch and make the car drive smooth. I have a well modulated clutch foot. I have many times let people drive my cars and what i learned from that is most people dont know how to drive a 5 speed car. they simply dont know how to modulate the clutch correctly. this is 100% why some can drive the stock clutch well into the 11s while others will burn it out trying to run a factory 13.5 second time.

My experience with the quarter master clutch lasted two weeks. I absolutely hated it. Its not a street clutch. there are dozens of better choices.

When shopping for a clutch using board feedback its important to look at the negative feedback more than the positive. Just because someone can live with these harsh characteristics and call it a nice clutch and give it good feedback doesnt make it a good clutch for everyone.

This clutch feedback is also a perfect example of how the "go fast " , "drag race" shops over influence the boards. The shops in the lime light are those with all the go fast records. They know how to go fast and set records. but they do it by killing the daily driver fun these cars potentially deliver. adding race car parts to your daily driver will quickly turn your nice evo into a rolling piece of crap no one would like to drive on a daily basis.

this includes but not limited to:
harsh clutches that shift well but do nothing else well.
cams that make good power but will drive you crazy idling at 1000+ rpm sitting at a traffic light. hard motor mounts that will rattle everything you didnt know could rattle. loud exhausts that will drive you crazy on a road trip of any length. and attract cops and ricers alike. and worst of all is powerbands that suck for daily driving. this deserves a chapter in itself.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Jun 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I love this Guy ^
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Do you have any solid mounts in your car? A solid front mount is a req to run a clutch like the qm.

Fathouse
Old Jun 6, 2010, 01:02 PM
Account Disabled

Have to get use to the clutch. I daily drive mine for years now and have no issues
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

I have this clutch. I have to say I like it. It's in my weekend drag car. I could imagine daily driving it. At idle, it makes a TON of noise. It's very unforgiving as well.

/incompletesentences
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
What I am saying is what your experiencing is normal for the clutch. Its a clutch that is not designed to be slipped. its a small diameter rally clutch designed for quick/direct shifts.

I can drive virtually any clutch and make the car drive smooth. I have a well modulated clutch foot. I have many times let people drive my cars and what i learned from that is most people dont know how to drive a 5 speed car. they simply dont know how to modulate the clutch correctly. this is 100% why some can drive the stock clutch well into the 11s while others will burn it out trying to run a factory 13.5 second time.

My experience with the quarter master clutch lasted two weeks. I absolutely hated it. Its not a street clutch. there are dozens of better choices.

When shopping for a clutch using board feedback its important to look at the negative feedback more than the positive. Just because someone can live with these harsh characteristics and call it a nice clutch and give it good feedback doesnt make it a good clutch for everyone.

This clutch feedback is also a perfect example of how the "go fast " , "drag race" shops over influence the boards. The shops in the lime light are those with all the go fast records. They know how to go fast and set records. but they do it by killing the daily driver fun these cars potentially deliver. adding race car parts to your daily driver will quickly turn your nice evo into a rolling piece of crap no one would like to drive on a daily basis.

this includes but not limited to:
harsh clutches that shift well but do nothing else well.
cams that make good power but will drive you crazy idling at 1000+ rpm sitting at a traffic light. hard motor mounts that will rattle everything you didnt know could rattle. loud exhausts that will drive you crazy on a road trip of any length. and attract cops and ricers alike. and worst of all is powerbands that suck for daily driving. this deserves a chapter in itself.
I agree with you, Jerry.

To the OP,

I used the Tilton Clutch for many miles. A very similar unit to the QM.

I got to tell you, I hated to DD with that Clutch. I do not know how I was able to put up with it for so long.

Per Tilton, this clutches are for racing purposes only. They are not made for DD.

I got their email to back that statement up.

The Clutches are incredible for holding power and lighting fast shifting.
Other than that, they rattle, make noises, chirp, etc.

Just wear it out and change it later if you are still not happy.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I DD my EVO and pretty much never launch on it which is why i chose the Exedy push style HD twin. If i was going to use my car as just a weekend warrior i would opt for the QM as it does its job and holds a ton of power and takes launching abuse well etc. I have the QM in my talon and its great for that car as i don't hardly ever drive it The QM is a good clutch for its intended purpose but for daily driving its a nightmare IMHO.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

i got an exedy twin launched the hell out of it. i have lots of dd with it including 500 mile trips no problems traffic not a big deal. If you arent racing your evo get an exedy and call it a day. Also tilton doesnt have sprung hubs idk about qm but it sounds like it doesnt either. That means it holds more power but puts more abuse on your drivetrain. Call a shop maybe next time i called john at sheps and devo straight up told me tilton is junk for dd
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KenMasters
^ I love this Guy ^
hahah what a descriptive and informative post (about 94AWD)
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johno
i got an exedy twin launched the hell out of it. i have lots of dd with it including 500 mile trips no problems traffic not a big deal. If you arent racing your evo get an exedy and call it a day. Also tilton doesnt have sprung hubs idk about qm but it sounds like it doesnt either. That means it holds more power but puts more abuse on your drivetrain. Call a shop maybe next time i called john at sheps and devo straight up told me tilton is junk for dd
I like to hear that because Ill be running an Exedy twin myself soon and my cars gonna be a DD.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed with 94AWD. QM is definitely not the DD clutch of choice. If you dd you want the exedy twin or something similar. Tilton and QM are for draging and racing not driving normal speeds!!
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

It just gunna take some time to get used to it. For the last couple of years thats all my Evo had was the QM clutch when i was DD it. I didnt mind it at all. It Just sucked in traffic.