Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

You Get What You Pay For With AEM Tuning!!! Blown Motor Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ouch lol....
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
GIAC is what $2k for a basemap flash for a 996? Most rally stuff is 1000 to "freshen" the tune. Talk to John Reed about Viper and Supra stuff...WOW, then add the turbo Gallardos.

Our tunes are like yours Mike, its not just the tune. Its starting in on a tune, being assured its 100% good to go (never is), figuring out whats wrong, fixing it, then moving on to the next thing. The only 500 dollar tunes I have ever really seen are ones where we did a 20k build and we discount it as a courtesy. It also happens that we know nothing is F'd and we can tune it right away first go.

The way I look at is 1000 for a tune or 5500+ for a motor...whats your budget really? If doing a motor is in the cards and you dont like making money off your old parts then cool...$250 tune it is. Or you have the 5500 motor and you want to protect the investment. I'd rather pay 6500 than 5500 twice and then add the 1000 dollar tune.
That is correct.. 100% on point my friend..

The full builds i cut down the tune price as well.. I also know that we already have the car setup 99% perfect and might need to change a wastegate spring or something minor..

Mike
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Thanks for chiming in as I always appreciate your insight.. Quite honestly the 750 is light when 99.9% of the time we are doing more than tuning.. We are fixing boost leaks, wiring issues, install errors, bad fuel, you name it we see it.. The 750 also includes dyno time and Crispeed has NEVER done a full proper tune on an Evo in under 5hrs.. So i would say its a bargain.. We get 1k for a Haltech tune usually..

Just a note also, there are tuners that get 10k a tune as well.. Usually not in our smaller scale line of work but its not abnormal for a guy to pay 5-10k for a tune on a 250k full chassis car build..

Crispeed sees guys from all over the country to tune their rotary and they spend 5k on the trip easily w/ tune and dyno time..

Mike
Thats a pretty good deal since you check for boost leaks and practically make sure the cars ready to make power before tuning it.... 750 is worth that. and 5hrs just tells me that the tuner is thoroughly doing his job and insuring everything is perfect..... very good shop.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
As both a mechanic and a tuner, this is is timing and/or lean. Cracked ring lands are detonation induced in most cases and this is typically the result of too much timing promoting either cylinder pressure (in the absence of knock) at a very high level or straight det.

Proof is in the pudding as they say. Mikes price is the same as our price for an initial AEM tune for most vehicles. We start at 500 and most of the time, correcting wiring errors, exisiting tuning issues, making sure the drivability is spot on we end up 7-800 for a tune.
Isn't it possible that the driver was racing, let off the gas and then nailed it again? That could cause a spike and a lean condition even if the tune was oOK.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Ive seen exactly this on ECUFLASH as well.. 90% of the time with Meth involved..

Mike
well then let me rephrase....thank god for e85 and a good tuner
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

i considering coming down there for a retune mike.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Isn't it possible that the driver was racing, let off the gas and then nailed it again? That could cause a spike and a lean condition even if the tune was oOK.
Umm, I am pretty sure thats whats done during road racing on a 30 minute session basis and i have yet to see a car crack pistons we have tuned.. this was not a quick hiccup in tuning where it went slightly lean..

These pistons were probably being slowly melted every time he went WOT til they finally cracked and the car started smoking and he stopped beating on it..
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
i considering coming down there for a retune mike.
come to texas and get that retune bro lol.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
post the map
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike looks like it was tuned poorly do you think it was the tune that made the piston fail or the water meth? I know your not a fan of water meth but seems like you sure know how to tune it. My favorite evo ever is the most wanted car and it had meth injection before that car was tuned by you and was awesome with that set up.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdmeg6
Mike looks like it was tuned poorly do you think it was the tune that made the piston fail or the water meth? I know your not a fan of water meth but seems like you sure know how to tune it. My favorite evo ever is the most wanted car and it had meth injection before that car was tuned by you and was awesome with that set up.
Well it was the Tune for sure that caused the failure.. I cant say 100% if the meth helped finish it off or not..

The 1st thing we did when we got Most-wanted evo was pull the meth and swap to E85 and thats when the record setting began..

Mike
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:00 AM

Love stock turbo stock block water meth setups they seem to make a ton of power pretty reliably. I have read your comments on uneven distribution and the decreased cylinder pressure for each cylinder is the remedy for this direct port water meth? Mike just wondering your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdmeg6
Love stock turbo stock block water meth setups they seem to make a ton of power pretty reliably. I have read your comments on uneven distribution and the decreased cylinder pressure for each cylinder is the remedy for this direct port water meth? Mike just wondering your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
If i was to run Meth on a car i would set it up direct port.. I doubt i would ever run that though with E85s availability here.. If there was no E85 local to me id buy 10 drums of it and ship it in.. If they quit making E85 i would make it myself..

Mike
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Most common thing people squawk about is Fuel System Prices and Tuning.. I guess neither bling or look cool in pictures to post on the internet but they are by far 2 of the most important aspects of a modified car..
You forgot the 3rd one. TIRES. Everyone spends a sh*t load of money on other things and neglect tunning and a good set of hookers.

Last edited by s.e.a.n.; Jun 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:30 AM

Oh ok cool well mike I really appreciate you answering so fast impressive I have been extremely impressed with all of awd motorsports stuff you guys seem to have awesome customer service. Nice to have such a guru on the website to help us out.

Quick Reply: You Get What You Pay For With AEM Tuning!!! Blown Motor Pics!!!