Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

You Get What You Pay For With AEM Tuning!!! Blown Motor Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdmeg6
Oh ok cool well mike I really appreciate you answering so fast impressive I have been extremely impressed with all of awd motorsports stuff you guys seem to have awesome customer service. Nice to have such a guru on the website to help us out.
No problem.. All of us @ AWD are enthusiasts at heart.. Glad to help out in anyway we can.. Thanks!!

Mike
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would be the benefit of E85 over water methanol? Here in Az we need the water for cooling down our intake charge considering its like 107 degrees daily. That is for atleast 1/2 the year here does E85 cool down the charge air?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdmeg6
What would be the benefit of E85 over water methanol? Here in Az we need the water for cooling down our intake charge considering its like 107 degrees daily. That is for atleast 1/2 the year here does E85 cool down the charge air?
Yes Ethanols cooling effect plays a large role in why it makes so much power.. the Octane level being lower than Q16 and still E85 making more power tells much of the story..

Mike
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The big problem with 100% methanol is that it slowly destroys the pump (and other plastic parts), regardless of anything else. In short, one is taking his chances. Even 50/50 setups are wise to have a fail-safe mechanism at the very least. As far as even distribution, all one can do is hope for the best.

An AEM appears to be far less tolerant to instances of detonation and other foul-ups as compared to the relatively forgiving factory ECU (which saved my backside when I had meth injection issues). I recall D. Buschur unexpectedly losing a cam sensor signal to the AEM, and the next thing that happened was oil splashing against the windshield. I wouldn't skimp on AEM tuning. In fact, I wouldn't even want to touch one myself - or not at least without someone who knew it inside and out present.

There are never any guarantees that something in an engine won't give unexpectedly. There is no way to eliminate risk. One should do what he can to minimize it, and that's the best that can be done. Engine component selection, the builder, and the tuner are all matters of trust, especially for those who rely upon the judgment of others for these things.

Just my $0.02.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
The big problem with 100% methanol is that it slowly destroys the pump (and other plastic parts), regardless of anything else. In short, one is taking his chances. Even 50/50 setups are wise to have a fail-safe mechanism at the very least. As far as even distribution, all one can do is hope for the best.

An AEM appears to be far less tolerant to instances of detonation and other foul-ups as compared to the relatively forgiving factory ECU (which saved my backside when I had meth injection issues). I recall D. Buschur unexpectedly losing a cam sensor signal to the AEM, and the next thing that happened was oil splashing against the windshield. I wouldn't skimp on AEM tuning. In fact, I wouldn't even want to touch one myself - or not at least without someone who knew it inside and out present.

There are never any guarantees that something in an engine won't give unexpectedly. There is no way to eliminate risk. One should do what he can to minimize it, and that's the best that can be done. Engine component selection, the builder, and the tuner are all matters of trust, especially for those who rely upon the judgment of others for these things.

Just my $0.02.
+1

And trust is saying a lot when you basically give someone 20k to build your care and hope it doesn't blow up while your driving it

I know Id be ****ed.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just my $0.02.
I'll take your 2cents and raise you $1.00

I agree with everything you said, and DB did have issues, thats why AEM was listening to him for v2. V2 is still mangled up to this day with 50+ bugs.

E85 seems to be fine though as far as rubbers go from what I've seen so far. If you think about it, everything in the fuel system is taking a chance. I mean look at the double pump systems using hobb switches.. they rely on the switch and what if the switch fails? the 2nd pump doesn't trigger and you run overly lean.

I ran meth injection for a year straight and had no issues, but it was the weirdest responding car I think ive ever driven. It used to backfire constantly and blew the exhaust manifold gasket twice. Meth can be safe, but then again you're relying on it activating and if it dont activate its bad news.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
I'll take your 2cents and raise you $1.00

I agree with everything you said, and DB did have issues, thats why AEM was listening to him for v2. V2 is still mangled up to this day with 50+ bugs.

E85 seems to be fine though as far as rubbers go from what I've seen so far. If you think about it, everything in the fuel system is taking a chance. I mean look at the double pump systems using hobb switches.. they rely on the switch and what if the switch fails? the 2nd pump doesn't trigger and you run overly lean.

I ran meth injection for a year straight and had no issues, but it was the weirdest responding car I think ive ever driven. It used to backfire constantly and blew the exhaust manifold gasket twice. Meth can be safe, but then again you're relying on it activating and if it dont activate its bad news.
On the stock ECU if it ran lean because the double pumper failed wouldn't the ECU compensate for that or only so much?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Wow, it doesn't pay to skimp. Thats why I'm broke now

I agree with you. Emery from STM always taught me do it right the first time. Thats why my car will be and ALWAYS be in the hands of STM. Its sad trying to save a few hundred bucks can cost you thousands in the end. Thanks for posting this up Mike!

-Justin
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

On the stock ECU if it ran lean because the double pumper failed wouldn't the ECU compensate for that or only so much?
no, it wouldn't be fast enough to save it imo. the low octane map if set properly might do something though for safety net if knock occurs once you run overly lean like that. the problem with that is its gonna do the damage before the ecu knows better to adjust it. in a perfect world the ecu would react in a milisecond as the afr started to drop point by point and catch it, but its far from a perfect world..... especially when you have ****s drilling in the gulf soiling half the the shorelines and killing wildlife and peoples careers.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
no, it wouldn't be fast enough to save it imo. the low octane map if set properly might do something though for safety net if knock occurs once you run overly lean like that. the problem with that is its gonna do the damage before the ecu knows better to adjust it. in a perfect world the ecu would react in a milisecond as the afr started to drop point by point and catch it, but its far from a perfect world..... especially when you have ****s drilling in the gulf soiling half the the shorelines and killing wildlife and peoples careers.
Well I was hoping the ECU would put you into some sort of limp mode before your engine poped.

Cause I'm gonna be running a double pumper and I cant afford for my brand new built engine to go pop lol
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Yes Ethanols cooling effect plays a large role in why it makes so much power.. the Octane level being lower than Q16 and still E85 making more power tells much of the story..

Mike
So youre saying that E85 will make more power than Q16, C16 or even unleaded 109?!?!?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by javicracer
So youre saying that E85 will make more power than Q16, C16 or even unleaded 109?!?!?
It ALWAYS does every time we have ever retuned a Race gas car.. Every single car in my signature is on E85..

Mike
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by javicracer
yup.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just my $0.02.

EXACTLY!!! So many "tooners' selling that AEM and it has no where near the defense of the ECU. So many products pushed with no concern for the customers cost basis. I remember when the AEM came out many BIG NAME tooners stated that in order to run an upgraded turbo you NEED an AEM EMS, one shop full of TRIXX even stated that it should be the 1st mod!!! In a magazine article no less.

Keep it simple stupids. The stock Ecu will serve 95% of you guys just fine
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Well I was hoping the ECU would put you into some sort of limp mode before your engine poped.

Cause I'm gonna be running a double pumper and I cant afford for my brand new built engine to go pop lol
there is something on the ecu called limp mode, but it was designed for when the car has blown couplers or horrible boost leak.

i have yet to see a hobb switch fail with a buschur double pumper, so you should be good

dont get me worried now.......

edit: aren't you gonna be using e85? Ive seen e85 do 16 afr and no damage.. so you'd be saved by the corn most likely. now i feel better.

Quick Reply: You Get What You Pay For With AEM Tuning!!! Blown Motor Pics!!!