Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

You Get What You Pay For With AEM Tuning!!! Blown Motor Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tscompusa
there is something on the ecu called limp mode, but it was designed for when the car has blown couplers or horrible boost leak.

i have yet to see a hobb switch fail with a buschur double pumper, so you should be good

dont get me worried now.......
Don't get you worried? Are you ****in crazy? Your doing this to me not the other way around

Got me scared now lol
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckless969
Don't get you worried? Are you ****in crazy? Your doing this to me not the other way around

Got me scared now lol
read what i said i edited the thread again

i seen 16 afr on e85 and no damage (not on my car lol).. were good dont worry. e85 ftw..... the only thing dangerous about e85 is making sure timings set right.

BR, iveytune, awdmotorsports, and who knows who else all use E85 on their drag cars. David might use a e90/e100 i forget.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jun 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great read Mike,,, Your words just echo through my veins!!!

Can we sticky this???
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
read what i said i edited the thread again

i seen 16 afr on e85 and no damage (not on my car lol).. were good dont worry. e85 ftw..... the only thing dangerous about e85 is making sure timings set right.

BR, iveytune, awdmotorsports, and who knows who else all use E85 on their drag cars. David might use a e90/e100 i forget.
Ok I looked at the edit and I'm feeling better also. Yeah Ill be running E85 as my primary only 91oct for when I venture away from my home for trips to see the family and stuff. But Ill have map switching.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
A quick question for those that know more than me.

I have seen piston failure like in this case wshere chunks are broken off and also failure where the piston seems to be erroded away, like it was sand blasted, maybe slightly melted.

The different failures must have different failure mechanisms. Does anyone know what causes the differences.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

I find most cases of people not considering the tune that important has a lot do with magazines in the past simply bolting stuff on and that was it. Never did they mention tuning as a key, important piece of the puzzle.

At least now more are giving tuning the credit it deserves and actually explaining how important the tune is on your car.

I can agree that the tune in a car is the most important mod you can have. Do it right the first time. Tunes are worth every penny when done right.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

One of the reasons people have such hard time putting out the money for a tune is they do not have something physically in their hands to show for it. Yes a dyno sheet, but it is not a hard part. Stupid psychology of the human mind. I would much rather know my car was running right than spend a dollar on anything else not knowing. I tune my own car, so if something goes wrong, it is on me. I am ok with that just because I don't believe I could learn without trying different things on my own car.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s.e.a.n.
You forgot the 3rd one. TIRES. Everyone spends a sh*t load of money on other things and neglect tunning and a good set of hookers.
Just because I have been talking about getting slicks for almost 2 years doesnt mean Im neglecting them
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yikes, yet another example of knowing your tuner is VERY important to protecting your car investment.

I'm beginning to see/hear more situations like this locally. One thing that sticks out in my mind as one of the reasons why people "cheap out" on things like this is simply money. Now that we're a few years into the Evo's lifecycle the cost of used Evos has gone down dramatically and the cost of entry is allowing younger folks scrape together the cash to get an Evo (this can be applied to most sought after performance cars as well). Typically you'll find that they go with the typical bolt ons and start running out of money once it comes to tuning the car. Couple that with absolutely no understanding of how to properly modify and/or an understanding of what to look for, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I'm not saying this is the case here...but based on some of the earlier comments the owner was definitely uneducated and misled. I see so many Evos in the Bay Area with completely useless modifications, shoddy wiring, and a general lack of good methodology behind the "build" that it makes me sick. I hate to make the correlation, but I feel like I'm back in 1994 and swimming in a sea of poorly modded Civics.

This unfortunately is why it's so hard to find a good used Evo...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostd4
Yikes, yet another example of knowing your tuner is VERY important to protecting your car investment.

I'm beginning to see/hear more situations like this locally. One thing that sticks out in my mind as one of the reasons why people "cheap out" on things like this is simply money. Now that we're a few years into the Evo's lifecycle the cost of used Evos has gone down dramatically and the cost of entry is allowing younger folks scrape together the cash to get an Evo (this can be applied to most sought after performance cars as well). Typically you'll find that they go with the typical bolt ons and start running out of money once it comes to tuning the car. Couple that with absolutely no understanding of how to properly modify and/or an understanding of what to look for, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I'm not saying this is the case here...but based on some of the earlier comments the owner was definitely uneducated and misled. I see so many Evos in the Bay Area with completely useless modifications, shoddy wiring, and a general lack of good methodology behind the "build" that it makes me sick. I hate to make the correlation, but I feel like I'm back in 1994 and swimming in a sea of poorly modded Civics.

This unfortunately is why it's so hard to find a good used Evo...
Well I hate to say this but if the alternative is the Evo turning into the Civic then I'm all for it. I'd rather these "kids" that don't know how to wait and do things properly pop their engine so someone with no how can buy it up and restore it to its deserved glory.

Thankful I highly doubt the Evo will ever become a Civic as there are far far ewer Evos then Civics around.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Well I hate to say this but if the alternative is the Evo turning into the Civic then I'm all for it. I'd rather these "kids" that don't know how to wait and do things properly pop their engine so someone with no how can buy it up and restore it to its deserved glory.

Thankful I highly doubt the Evo will ever become a Civic as there are far far ewer Evos then Civics around.
Well, I hope it never gets to that point (Evo becoming the next Civic) but it definitely feels like it.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdmeg6
Love stock turbo stock block water meth setups they seem to make a ton of power pretty reliably. I have read your comments on uneven distribution and the decreased cylinder pressure for each cylinder is the remedy for this direct port water meth? Mike just wondering your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Stock block E85 setups make the same power .....just safer (IMHO).
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Wow. This thread could have easily been me if I had not decided to E85 and take my car to AWD for my tune. When I first gstarted modding my Evo, I was running an aquamist hfs-1 (100% meth) on pump. I can tell you this, there are way too many factors for failure when running meth. Do you really want X% of your fuel supply required to run a certain boost to be running through a plastic line? If something in that meth kit fails, do you really want to depend upon a failsafe having to switch maps to a less aggressive tune? From being a person that has run both, E85 is definitely a better option because it causes alot fewer headaches. You don't have to worry about the meth eating away at your fittings, lines, and destroying your pump (and it will do those things over time).
As far as the tune, not a single part matters on your car if you don't have a great tune. Don't let some of these people on here fool you with their "big words" trying to sound smarter than they are. When it comes down to it, look for results. If the cars that they build/tune aren't producing the times at the track, then I don't give a damn about what they say on the forums. AWD produces fast cars, and the didn't do it by making **** up on here. They will be the only shop that will EVER tune my car.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks nasty Mike. I'm sure you guys will take care of the customer It is sad that people like to save money on the tune. I agree that is one of the most important aspects of the car and keeps the car in one piece. Bad tune + Meth = a killer combo!

Mikey
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lillev23
Wow. This thread could have easily been me if I had not decided to E85 and take my car to AWD for my tune. When I first gstarted modding my Evo, I was running an aquamist hfs-1 (100% meth) on pump. I can tell you this, there are way too many factors for failure when running meth. Do you really want X% of your fuel supply required to run a certain boost to be running through a plastic line? If something in that meth kit fails, do you really want to depend upon a failsafe having to switch maps to a less aggressive tune? From being a person that has run both, E85 is definitely a better option because it causes alot fewer headaches. You don't have to worry about the meth eating away at your fittings, lines, and destroying your pump (and it will do those things over time).
As far as the tune, not a single part matters on your car if you don't have a great tune. Don't let some of these people on here fool you with their "big words" trying to sound smarter than they are. When it comes down to it, look for results. If the cars that they build/tune aren't producing the times at the track, then I don't give a damn about what they say on the forums. AWD produces fast cars, and the didn't do it by making **** up on here. They will be the only shop that will EVER tune my car.
Thanks Will.. I think you hit the NAIL ON THE HEAD.. There is a huge difference between making a 1 gear pull on the dyno and saying we made XXX HP and actually making it thru 4 gears down the track with the motor together..

You have proven that at near 600whp and the Worlds QUICKEST stock block that your tune is ON POINT!!!

Thanks for the SUPPORT!!!

Mike

Quick Reply: You Get What You Pay For With AEM Tuning!!! Blown Motor Pics!!!