Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust Manifolds

Hi all,

My car is a 2003 JDM Evo VIII that I'm building for track/time attack dutes.

At the moment Im running a fully built 2.3L (built race head + 2.3L Bottom end) with an FP Evo Black.

The manifolds I'm currently running are a MAP Rev 2 Exhaust manfold and a MAP Rev 3 Intake Manifold (MIL.SPEc Throttle).

At the moment the power band is 3500-6500RPM but I would like to get more midrange and topend with my setup.

Im currently looking at changing out exhaust manifolds as I dont really need to be below 4000rpm anyway (exhaust manifolds seem to work best from this RPM anyways.)

I have the following manifolds that Im looking at, and I was wondering what you guys would believe is the best (most gains) for a big turbo/stroker style setup..

-Shearer Stock Turbo Manifold
-FullRace Pro Stock Manifold
-ETS Stock Turbo Manifold

Cheers
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dont forget about mona
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

^ Has anyone got any results for all of the above..?

I have heard that the Full Race manifold can be restrictive on a Stroker as the runners are narrow..?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

So no one knows anything?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a stock manifold flange somewhere aroudn here
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tonba

I have heard that the Full Race manifold can be restrictive on a Stroker as the runners are narrow..?

OP do you have any dyno graphs? I like like to see you power band... You should have no problem pulling to 7.5k without your turbo falling off with the ported manifold.

The ETS manifold is really nice and uses 1.5" runners. If I remember right Aaron at ER tested these and saw a 5hp gain over a ported stocker on Jesse's car... Not worth the money if you ask me but I would shoot Aaron a pm and see what he says. Also Mike at AWD ran a Black to 700+hp on a ported stock manifold if you didn't know.

The Full Race manifold does use the same size 1.25" runners as the stock manifold, however every Evo manifold they make are 1.25". Even their 40Rs have a 1.25" runner design. I don't think the 1.25" runner becomes a problem till over 700hp from the testing I have seen. All you are going to do is lose spool with a 1.5" runner design. Also remember your most restrictive part is your flange. It will only flow but so well.

Mikey
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Even though the ETS made 5hp more, what about the midrange, as that is what im after...

Unfortunatly no dyno sheets yet as we are still testing things. The car makes 245hp @ 4,000rpm. At 5,000rpm the power curve just goes flat like it hits a wall. Untill it finally crawls to a peak of 300hp @ at 6,000rpm. (These figures are all approximates)

This is all on 98RON (similar to your 93??) and 23psi. After a chat to my engine builder/tuner, he believes that the engine is too tight after 5,000rpm as he can not throw any timing in at all.
Needs some more running in.. apparently..

Im also looking at getting rid of my kelford TX272's as I do not believe they are suited to the setup. Im getting some custom JUN cams cut up.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Even though the ETS made 5hp more, what about the midrange, as that is what im after...

Unfortunatly no dyno sheets yet as we are still testing things. The car makes 245hp @ 4,000rpm. At 5,000rpm the power curve just goes flat like it hits a wall. Untill it finally crawls to a peak of 300hp @ at 6,000rpm. (These figures are all approximates)

This is all on 98RON (similar to your 93??) and 23psi. After a chat to my engine builder/tuner, he believes that the engine is too tight after 5,000rpm as he can not throw any timing in at all.
Needs some more running in.. apparently..

Im also looking at getting rid of my kelford TX272's as I do not believe they are suited to the setup. Im getting some custom JUN cams cut up.
You would have to ask Aaron about midrange and out the top power but I remember peak was not much...

Ya you need larger cams. I am currently running HKS cams and I lose 50hp in 400rpms after 7.5k. Our motors flow 15% more airflow than a 2.0 so you need the larger cams. JUN will do the job. What are the specs on your cams you are getting cut? Get a cam with a decent ramp rate and good effective dur like 236 or 238. Since you are looking at the midrange don't get a 280-288 cam that is for 8k+ rpms. We are going to be running 274s and the testing we have seen on the LR2.4s they are amazing and pull all the way to 8.5k. No need for anything larger.

*** EDIT What mm rods are you running?

Mikey

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Jun 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Getting custom 272's cut up. Definatly not going 280+. As they just wouldnt suit. Not sure what the actual profile is.

Have people seen gains with aftermarket manifolds? What is thier place in the market? Bling or do you get actual gains?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
do you have any dyno sheets from your car?
dont forget that american dyno's read differently to Aus/NZ dyno's, but that 300whp figure seems really low.

why are you getting custom cams cut? Why not go for tried and proven cams like kelford or GSC's? You'd be surprised on the price...
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Im currently running Kelford TX272's, and they just are not suited to my setup..

We have decided to go with a japanese cam, as that is what my mechanic/tuner would like to try.

No dyno graphs at the moment. And yes the 300hp is very low. But as I said before, my mechanic/tuner seems to think the engine is still too tight over 5000rpm and as such, he just can not put any timing in up top..
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Have people seen gains with aftermarket manifolds? What is thier place in the market? Bling or do you get actual gains?
I'm curious about this too. Check out this discussion: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o-has-had.html

I'm interested in the PPI coated/ported stocker.

The Mona and Full Race seem to get good nods too.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by icrnk
i'm curious about this too. Check out this discussion: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o-has-had.html

i'm interested in the ppi coated/ported stocker.

the mona and full race seem to get good nods too.
yes sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The mona lisa is a nice manifold and not 1200 or 1300 like some other manifolds. Shearer is nice also

rock, did u get my pm?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

afi has one as well

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifolds