Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best turbos to use on Stroker/High compression.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTA 3586 FTW. Who cares if you dont hit full boost (35 psi) until 5000 rpms when your reving it out to 10K. Build the head, build the block get the HTA 86 and call it a day.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicManRed
Ted, who makes your billet cams? What are they?
My cams are CNC machined from billet stock, and were custom made by Crane. We have the profiles digitized, but Crane no longer exists.

I
I have come to this conclusion for the
Since the 3076 is too small. and the difference from the 3582 to the 3586 in spool is <500rpm... it would be silly to not go 3586. And from further research, I found the T3 housing to be plenty sufficient in a divided 1.06 form.
The fault with this logic is that either of these turbos will produce more mass airflow than a 1.06 TS T3 can support. That suggests using a larger turbo with that relatively small turbine housing is counterproductive.

Originally Posted by evolancer04
Who cares if you dont hit full boost (35 psi) until 5000 rpms when your reving it out to 10K. Build the head, build the block get the HTA 86 and call it a day.
Spin a 2.4 to 10k rpm, and one will likely be 'calling it a day' very quickly.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Agreed, I see your point.

Given my experience with my own combo, I agree. The only aspect that isn't met by his criteria is the spool time, and the 20% increase in displacement will fix that.

You want the TS T4 setup. The FP Black and HTA3582 share the same compressor. Aside from the HTA's BB CHRA, the only remaining difference is in the turbine side. If you are going to spend the time and money to fit a large, non-stock frame turbo, get the most bang for the buck by going to the TS T4 hotside. You won't be sorry you did.
Please give more details size etc and where to buy it .

For the op pump gas is a problem bc it's to easy now a days to fill up on a bad tank of gas. This choice of the TS T4 is the best bc if it's pump gas or even E85 the TS T4 will cover it, for what you want to do and then some. Keep in mind that your spending approx 5500.00 for this set up, when you only have to swap the red for a ported FP Black and get damn near similar results.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 38six
Please give more details size etc and where to buy it .

For the op pump gas is a problem bc it's to easy now a days to fill up on a bad tank of gas. This choice of the TS T4 is the best bc if it's pump gas or even E85 the TS T4 will cover it, for what you want to do and then some. Keep in mind that your spending approx 5500.00 for this set up, when you only have to swap the red for a ported FP Black and get damn near similar results.
Yeah, a lot of people have been saying that, and I'm going to go ahead with the T4 TS 1.06 setup. I won't go FP Black for my application, as a matter of fact, FP even suggested against it. I need ball bearing for road racing.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:46 PM

damn........that alot of hp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ You dont NEED ball bearing for racing..
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tonba
Nor did you NEED to comment on this thread...
Nor do I NEED to race at all, or even own an evo.
But if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right.

If you want to road race with journal bearing, be my guest. I'll be waiting for you at the finish line for however long it takes for you to replace your turbo.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

glad you are squared away man. LMK when you need to get it hooked up sir. they are ready for ya
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonba
I agree. Turbos were doing The 24 hours of Le Mans, Daytona, IMSA, F1, and CART/Indy Racing before BB centersections were ever created. If the journal bearings finished the Daytona & Le Mans 24-Hour races as well as the Sebring 12-hour events and the Indy 500... Then they are good enough for racing.....at least in my book. Of course, MagicManRed, probably needed to climb up on a stool to reach the cookie jar way back then,

Last edited by sparky; Jun 20, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I agree. Turbos were doing 24 hours of Lemans, Daytona, and Indy Racing before BB centersections were ever created. If the journal bearings finished the 24-Hours... Then they are good enough for racing.....at least in my book.
and back in those days, computers didnt have broad band internet access, or google.
If you'd like to join those days, and also run journal bearing along with them... then go back to the 60's. It's 2010, technology grows for a reason, reasons of which I don't ignore.
Have fun with your inefficient turbos.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

I love how people probably only read a few replies before commenting on threads. 24 hour races?... in cars that get their turbos swapped out before/after every race?

I clearly stated my project is a "daily driver"

I'm done with this thread. Someone close it before I see another silly reply in my inbox.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 38six
... Keep in mind that your spending approx 5500.00 for this set up, when you only have to swap the red for a ported FP Black and get damn near similar results.

Good point!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

...I clearly stated my project is a "daily driver"....
I have put over 350,000 miles of hard DD on various journal bearing turboed cars w/o a problem. As a practical matter, BB is mostly a spool related issue as opposed to a longevity issue.

Last edited by sparky; Jun 20, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I have put over 350,000 miles of hard DD on various journal bearing turboed cars w/o a problem. As a practical matter, BB is mostly a spool related issue as opposed to a longevity issue.
and i had 2 different journal bearing precision turbo's blow on my sti in under 3,000 miles. both made no power and spooled like garbage too. never again will i run a journal bearing turbo.

Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Your two failures may have been more PT&E related than related to the type of bearings used. The only failure that I have ever experienced with a turbo was with a turbo that I sent into PT&E just to have the housing recut for a larger wheel and fitted into a PT&E housing.

The turbo was fine before sending it into PT&E. I sent it to them to cut and fit a PT&E turbine housing instead of the stock Garrett housing. When I got it back and bolted the turbo up it spewed smoke. So, I had to send it in to John Craig to have him do the seals which had been fine before I sent the turbo into PT&E.

I never attributed that failure to the journal bearing setup, but to PT&E's(Precision) ineptitude. I mean my turbo was fine before shipping it to PT&E. But, as soon as i got it back from PT&E and bolted it up and went for a drive it was spewing white smoke.

Quick Reply: Best turbos to use on Stroker/High compression.