Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Propane Injection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2002, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like I said I think the kit will perform as advertised.

Can we see some dyno runs in conjunction with the propane datalogs? That would be nice to see. Especially for choosing it as an option over water injection.

Also you can register as a certified vendor and be one of the first to go into the marketplace.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I sent the email to get hte detials on registering!
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:36 PM

Wow!! Fear of the unknown. FORKLIFTS AND GOLFCARTS BLOWING UP EVERYWHERE. Have you ever seen the abuse forklifts take? Ever heard of them blowing up? Like gasoline, no leaks no worries.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Granted - but if water leaks, it doesn't tend to blow up

-Josh
Old Sep 5, 2003, 05:31 AM

I dynod last month on a Dynojet SAE corrected 401 AWHP 401 AWTQ on pump 93 octane. (I did have the plugs gapped at 36 which is WAY to big for our cars. Dyno graph looked like the rocky mountians past 4500 due to massive blow out, I have since gapped to 24 and gained power and smoothness past 4500)

This was on 20psi. Only possible running Propane Injection. Why do I say ONLY possible on Propane? I had an Aquamist system. Couldn't get more than 3 more PSI before Detonation. That is what forced us to develop the Propane Injection System. Which allowed for about 7-8psi more on pump gas versus pump with no detonation suppression.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 10:58 AM

some of the systems are actually NHRA certified as well, so that means there reasonably safe...

there is even one system which combined propane and n2o, using the propane like gasoline would in a wet shot. neat idea, probably lets you do a helluva big shot of juice.

also takes out the problems of turbo producing extra heat... just depends if you only want the power once in a while or very often haha.

the supra guys have been playing with this for... meh i think i saw it first about last summer...

if i had a street driven turbo car i'd be considering it... just this kind of thing isn't realy for road course work... nor will it pass tech.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds too good to be true.......yes dyno dyno,,,, .............i was thinking the nx chiller kit for the intercooler but this sounds like the route ill go.....we need some more info and #'s.........damn now this proppane kit screwed up my thoughts on getting the chiller kit
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

what mods did the car have by the way
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:26 PM

its like your injecting high octane race fuel, but also cooling the air at the same time.

its not too good to be true the powerstroke and cummins truck guys have been doin this for ages... how it works is simple cool the intake charge and add more fuel... compensate this by cranking up the boost and boom... lots more power.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:27 PM

Propane Does Not cool the air charge. It was thought that it may but tests have proven otherwise.
Higher Octane allows for higher boost pressure
without detonation which is the leading cause
of engine failure in F/I setups

The Gaseous/Vapor state of Propane forces a
better distribution of Air/Fuel charge greatly
reducing "Hot Spots" in the combustion chamber
lowering the chance for detonation

www.importpoweronline.com

We developed one of the first Propane Injection systems for turbo cars. We have been selling them for almost 2 years.

Last edited by imp pwr online; Sep 5, 2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

People use propane to effectively raise the octane level and lean the car out closer to the edge wihtout detonation...

there are plenty of people on DSMtuners.com that have done this before.....

Like I have been saying before EVO peeps should be befriending the DSM guys that have been doing this stuff with these engines for years.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 02:57 PM

We have dozens and dozens of DSMs on our system. Search dsmtuners and dsmtalk for reviews...It's good stuff
Old Sep 5, 2003, 03:45 PM

ummm, ever heard of a neat little thing called ideal gas law?

if you measured the propane at its nozzle you would find that its quite cold. if you don't believe me go to an open field and open a tank of it and stick your hand in front of it. (no smoking lol!)

on your site, your datalogging doesn't show where you have measured air temp at the plenum... so i don't see where your "testing" results show otherwise.

it is however possible that you are using a small enough amount of propane where the cooling is a non factor, i haven't played with it you know that not me. but dont' say the gas doesn't come out cold, or that it doesn't produce any cooling action, because it does...

any person with a full propane tank can prove this in about 2 seconds.

Last edited by pete98m3; Sep 5, 2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by pete98m3
ummm, ever heard of a neat little thing called ideal gas law?

if you measured the propane at its nozzle you would find that its quite cold. if you don't believe me go to an open field and open a tank of it and stick your hand in front of it. (no smoking lol!)

on your site, your datalogging doesn't show where you have measured air temp at the plenum... so i don't see where your "testing" results show otherwise.

it is however possible that you are using a small enough amount of propane where the cooling is a non factor, i haven't played with it you know that not me. but dont' say the gas doesn't come out cold, or that it doesn't produce any cooling action, because it does...

any person with a full propane tank can prove this in about 2 seconds.
Ok....I Made/Tested/Market the propane injection system. I have sold over 300 of them. I have tested them WITH sensitive TEMP probes BEFORE and AFTER the injection point. Know what? The Temp change was negligable. 1-2 degrees at best. So before you start stating facts that you have NOT tested yourself...I would suggest you run the same tests we have. As have our customers. There is not a temp drop at the injection site. At the tank? Sure, when a compressed gas is expanded it cools. But by the time it gets to the injection site at the motor...that temp drop is gone.

Intake temps Without shooting Propane, Temps Before the injection point and after the injection point while shooting have all proven to be pretty much equal.

Anything else you would like to add?

Tests done with Fluke Multimeter with Thermometer Probe

Benefits are from :
High Octane fuel
Vapor forces better atomization of fuel charge
Old Sep 5, 2003, 04:57 PM

hey i never claimed i knew how much of a difference it made, i just said that there is a certain amount of cooling because the gas is cold vs you said there was none earlier.

where do you put the solieniod back at the tank or in the engine bay? the gas would discharge at a lower tempurature if it was kept at high pressure until as close as possible to the nozzle. this way the comparitively "hot" lines running thru the car would not warm the gas before it is sprayed. i dunno if thats how its set up or not, i don't own a turbo car that i want to really modify.

Quick Reply: Propane Injection