Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Propane Injection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who ever running this system is asking for trouble! it is a no no thing to run an electrical solenoid with a flammable gas. crazy
Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Dunno why you guys are so against propane injection. Most of your rationales about danger are completely moot as there are many vehicles that have been running on propane or natural gas for sometime.

Many less close minded camps of car modding enthusiasts finally embraced propane and are reaping benefits from it, should at least keep an open mind instead of this "oh god, we fear change!" crap.

FWIW, IPO is a very respected vendor on 3si and I've bought and sold parts to him. Great guy, good customer service. If your even thinkin about trying one of his kits, please get in touch with him and he'd give you good deal.

Grats on the MPH record Chris. I miss my stealth sooo bad
Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make a manual propane setup from inside cockpit. Screw a mini propane cartridge into a line while going through the gears - just make sure your fingers don't freeze to the bottle (as I lament of times years ago waking up with my lips frozen to a bottle of laughing gas)
Old Dec 26, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone actually tested propane injection on a EVO yet?
If a vendor (IPO) wants to sell these things, they should at least back it up with some test results on a evo specific vehicle.
my 2 cents...
Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have a half used propane tank outside under my grill. Let me go hook it up right now and see if I can keep up with a bike.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no personal experience with it, but I'm going to ramble on for a bit to pass some time at work. Propane was tested with decent results several years back on the DSMs. The only other option in widespread use at the time was straight water injectoin. I can't recall any actual results, but it certainly did have the effect of reducing knock and letting people run more boost on pump gas. The added octane should certainly help, as well as the relatively cold temps, but there were also a lot of theories being tossed around regarding the fact that propane is a gas and will mix well with the intake charge, and allow the flame front to move more easily through uneven mixtures in the combustion chamber.

Most people said a small tank (5 or 8 lbs?) lasted over a month. And it is extremely easy to find local places to fill up.

As far as fuel compensation, my plan back when I was tired of race gas and was looking into this was to use the MAFt to do it. The MAFt has (or had? Not sure if the new units still do this) an "auxiliary" function, with something like ~40% adjustment range to air signal/fueling, activated by a single wire. So when the propane is activated, the MAFt pulls some amount of fuel. Nice and automatic once it's set up, and a relatively clean solution. AEM could easily do something similar.

I'm not saying propane is the way to go these days, people seem to be having good success with alky/meth. There were some clear advantages over straight water though back in the day...
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:18 AM

damdangolepropaneman, takeaoleinjectionkit, hitboostonoledangoleturboman, psssshhhhhhh, wooooooooooooo, illtellyahboutitboy .......damdangolefastman.....
Old Dec 27, 2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Make a manual propane setup from inside cockpit. Screw a mini propane cartridge into a line while going through the gears - just make sure your fingers don't freeze to the bottle (as I lament of times years ago waking up with my lips frozen to a bottle of laughing gas)
LOL