Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Propane Injection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2002, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane Injection

This seems to be a hot topic in the DSM and 3KGT/Stealth community. apparently people are using aftermarket propane kits developed for turbo diesels.
Has anyone tried this out?
I personally use water injection with some alchohol, but I am going to keep track of the propane. Maybe it will turn out to be pretty cool.

Here is a link to one of the kits.

http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/home.html

I should note that this only applies to turbo cars.

Last edited by TearItUpSports; Jun 16, 2002 at 01:09 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2002, 03:48 PM

http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84347
heres more info
Old Jun 25, 2002, 07:53 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Man, Hank Hill would be proud

I dunno, this kit seems little dangerous, no? I think water injection is a better method since it's much safer.

Mark
Old Jun 25, 2002, 08:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by KK
Man, Hank Hill would be proud

Propane is HIGHLY volatile and VERY explosive. I'm not going to make any claims to know how positively or negatively it will affect your car, but you'd be driving more of a moving bomb than someone with a billion shot of NAWWZZZ. You'd be safer driving around with a barbecue in your trunk.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 12:21 AM

Nitrous is not an exposive liquid/gas. Nitrous breaks down at high temp and releases oxygen. Propane on the other hand is very explosive. but as long as you keep it in a DOT certified tank then your perfectly safe. DOT wouldnt let you drive around with that bottle if it wasnt safe.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 12:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

NOS = kept under heavy pressure = potentially explosive. Not necessarily "fireball" explosive, but I wouldn't drive around with it in a daily driver.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 03:49 AM

if its explosive then it will create a fireball otherwise it wouldnt be explosive. nitrous on the other hand is not explosive, its not even flammable. nitrous under high temps breaks down into 2 oxygen atoms and one nitrogen atom. the oxygen then is used to burn up the extra gas particles. if you have a nitrous tank in your car and you get a hole in the bottle, for some odd reason, and a fire breaks out then it will make the fire larger and begin to feed the fire but would not make it explode. propane on the other hand is very explosive. the reason why you dont drive with nitrous in your car in NJ is cause use of it on a public road is illegal, and to just have the tank in your car you need a permit. To get this permit they see if you were ever arrested with drug charges cause nitrous is an inhalant. i dont mean to come off as an *** but i try to clear up misconceptions people have with nitrous.

Last edited by silverkorn; Jun 26, 2002 at 04:05 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

nitrous is an oxidizer, it just adds more air to the engine
automotive nitrous is mixed with some chemical (i dont know which) that prevents people from sniffing it

my $.02

Link
Old Jun 26, 2002, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Explosive has nothing to do with fire. A can of soda can explode, as does a grenade, etc. All it means is that the internal pressure is greater than the strength of the container. A balloon explodes when overfilled, and I can go on and on. Implode is when external pressure is greater than the container strength.

Now I have never heard of any explosions using propane in auto's. RV's and diesels use propane tanks all the time. Im sure you are more likely to have lots of other accidents than having your propane tank go up. Your own cars fuel tank is far more dangerous than a propane tank. At least propane when released is a gas, not a liquid. It will quickly disperse into the atmosphere.

In general this stuff is as safe or as dangerous as you want to make it.

I will probably start using propane injection in place of my water injection soon.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 05:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

My father is an insurance broker and has warned me of propane. The old style tanks that are on some houses have been known to blow up half a house and burn the rest. Is it likely you will blow your car up? Not really. Is it possible and a realistic possibility? Sure. My concern woudln't be safe handling so much as a horrible car wreck.

Propane is like gasoline in that it doesn't really burn as a liquid, it burns when dissolved in air. If the spark is there...it will burn...rapidly.

And TearItUp, that's precisely what I meant when I said it was under pressure.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 03:42 PM

when you say houses blow up with their tanks, yes i have heard of this happening but remember those tanks were old and were not DOT approved. the main thing about being safe while driving with propane is that you have it in a new DOT bottle. then you have nothing to worry about. otherwise if your using a non-DOT approved bottle on the road your looking for trouble.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 06:25 AM

We have just shipped out 22 Propane Injection Systems.

It is a one system fits all kit. Works for SC'd and Turbo vehicles.

We were able to increase our boost by 7psi on pump 91 octane without knock (detonation).

A small 5# propane tank which costs $2.50 to fill lasts about 2-3 full tanks of gas (20 gallon tank) and that was during testing so mostly WOT runs.

Propane aids in two ways. Lower intake charge temp, propane leaves the tank at -60F. And Propane is very high Octane.

We have done months of R&D ad have put together a very nice do it yourself easy install system. We were not able to utilize off the shelf parts or even parts from existing Diesel propane kits. They just dont' have the flow ability or response for Gas F/I vehicles. We did try, it did not work. Instead we have our parts machined to our specific specs.

We have tested it against water and Alky and it blows is away.

The only thing that comes close to allowing us to run 22psi is 101 octane which is $4 gallon instead of $2.50 for 2-3 full gas fill ups.

We datalog our testing and they are available for viewing. We are gearing up for the next run of 40 systems. We sold 22 kits in 1 week.

Our customers range from Turbo Fords, Sc'd Pontiacs, 3000GTvr4s, Stealth TT's, MR2 turbos, Honda-Acura Turbos, Syclone-Typhoons..the list goes on...

For only $350 we can't keep em in stock. Current wait time is abut two weeks due to machining and build time.

You will notice in the Datalog shots that timing takes a dive without propane due to knock where in the propane datalogs timing keep rising (POWER)

You will also notice that knock in the Non propane runs keeps rising under WOT while in the Propane runs the propane actually eliminates it while still under WOT.

Check it out here..
http://www.importpoweronline.com/propane.html
http://www.importpoweronline.com/propanelogs.html
Old Aug 3, 2002, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

I've read most everything on this topic on 3si, dsmtalk, supraforums, etc.

I do doubt somewhat the "months" of R&D. From everything I've seen is you had a machine shop make a couple of parts up based on several other systems you have copied and made some datalog runs.

Now I do believe that the kit does as advertised, so if folks want to buy it, I think they will be satisfied.

I do however find your price a bit high. Knowing what parts are there I would be surprised if everything cost more than $150, and thats if you are using good sourced product. The machine shop stuff is cheap. If you prove that the cost really is higher than I see and can prove it (and I know what reasonable mark up is especially for custom products) then I will recant. And yes I know since I work for a very large electrical/industrial distributor.

Regardless you really should register as a vendor with Mark if you want to sell these here. The Evolution could be a great application.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 06:51 AM

Sorry you feel that way. We have never had another companie's kit in our hands or even seen pictures of them. So no, it is not a "Copy" of anyones kit.

Everyone elses kit sell for $500 plus, so I don't see how $350 is high...Niehter did the customers who purchased the 22 kits in 1 week.

It is a high quality unit that is ver well priced.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 07:05 AM

And I apologize for posting, I did not know this board was more strickt than the boards I am used to posting on.

Quick Reply: Propane Injection