Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

differences between elec and mech boost gauge?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2003 | 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

differences between elec and mech boost gauge?

obviously, the mechanical boost gauge needs the hose tapped in somewhere,

But what about the electrical guages? I had orginally thought that these only required tapping into the boost reading wire on the ECU, but from the descriptions of some of these electronic boost gauge, there is a sensor invovled, that you have to place somewhere.

Anyone have any idea whether electronic gauges are better, more accurate, easier to install, etc?
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 06:23 AM

get something like defi gauges. they are electronic but come with there own sensors.

some electronic gauges are just designed so that you tap into the ECU and use the OE sensors.
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

right, but then my question is, how do these independent sensors connnect? b/c if its not any easier than mechanical, i dont see the point
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

you have to hook it up like most other electronic senders. The only advantage is if you want to record readings and peak boost levels. Other than that a mechanical boost gauge will suffice.
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 10:11 AM
Account Disabled

no difference performance wise. If you want peak hold.memory etc as n00dle pointed out, it has to be electronic, hough not every electronic gauge has this feature

Both types of boost gage have a mechanical element to them - i.e, both need a vacuum source. The mechanical style simply routes that hose directly the back of the boost gauge. The electronic ones have the vacuum line go to an electrical sensor, and then its simply wires going to the boost gauge.
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 10:33 AM

mechanical are better imo, cheaper and easier to install
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

I'd agree. Mechanical boost gauges are easy to replace if damaged and you don't have to get a whole series of gauges, i.e. you can mix and match companies to find the best gauge for each job.
Old Nov 17, 2003 | 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

I prefer the electric gauge because they have cool features like recording your exact peak boost and boost warning. Both tap into a vacuum source so they both should be just as accurate.
Old Nov 18, 2003 | 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

I've been talking with Quantum about a box they have for the WRX that mounts in a DIN enclosure. The only connection is to the ODB port and it uses the stock sensors to display boost, temps, speed, timing, etc. You select the 4 items you want to display - change them to something else if you want. It's made in England and supposedly they have a model for the EVO but none have shown up in the US so far.
Old Nov 18, 2003 | 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

is that the S.E.C.S. unit?
Old Nov 18, 2003 | 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by alex_alex
is that the S.E.C.S. unit?
Right... here's a pic from the Quantum web site.
Attached Thumbnails differences between elec and mech boost gauge?-secs-front-connector.jpg  
Old Nov 18, 2003 | 03:26 PM

I have a PSI3 secs 1004 for my WRX - it's for sale now but, it was very nice! www.psi3.co.uk

Displayed all of the Data from my ECU, could read and clear DTC's , could hold peak values, could trigger alarms, could trigger a relay for nitrous/waterspray/water injection. Very nice unit!

I'll definately look into one of these for the EVO if Mark at Quantum will bring 'em in.

Regarding the Electronic and Mechanical boost gauge, my preference is for electronic as most electronic guages will sample pressure at start up to self-calibrate and allow for greater mounting flexibility. Also, you do not have to worry about the possiblity of a pinched vac/boost hose affecting your reading.

just my $.02
Old Nov 18, 2003 | 03:52 PM

The MAIN DIFFERENCE between mech and elect. guages is the fact that you don't have to run your lines (vaccum, boost,etc.) into the back of the guage. If one of those lines broke you could have some problem with engine fumes and maybe liquids in the cabin. Some of both kinds use sensor units but the elect. guages just have a wire that carries nothing but elect. current to the guage, also most of the elect. guages have sending units so you route all that stuff coming from the sensors to one place and then you put the guages wherever you want AND the electrical guages don't need recalibration. I don't need either I have a butt dyno guage that is super accurate