Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TOB C-clip keeps popping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOB C-clip keeps popping

So yesterday I took my Evo to englishtown raceway park to go for mid 11's, and 2nd pass I popped the C-clip going into 4th, this is the 5th time this has happened to me, but this is the 2nd time this has happened to me since I put in a built 5 speed, exedy twin HD, and fork lock.... I've never heard of anyone popping the clip with a fork lock... I'm pretty sure it's a fluke because I'm only shifting at 7200-7300 and I'm not no-lift shifting anymore, which is why it popped 3 times on my 6 speed / ACT clutch setup... It's really starting to **** me off cuz the setup isn't even 4 months old, and I don't have the type of money to buy a tilton or the AMS pull style conversion anytime soon, and at this rate it's going to keep happening...

Is it pushing the clutch pedal quick that breaks it ? Or going for the gear ? Or the quick release ?

I need to find a solution cuz pulling trannys ain't cheap, and I'm a fan of the motto "fix it better"

Help pleeeeeeze

Help !
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It's suppose to be a quick release that takes the "slack" off the wedge collar (a.k.a. spring clip) and makes it pop loose. When this happens, the clutch fork swings back and goes further than it normally rests at towards the clutch cylinder...So the clutch fork should have a SMALL gap between it and the stopperd you installed.... mine I believe is about 1/16-1/8th inch or so...
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How about you just post some pics? I've got a few no lift passes on mine and it didn't pop.. (knocks on wood)
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never heard of an issue with the fork stop and the clip poppin off. Are you sure the clearance between the fork and the stop bolt are accurate? That would be my only suggestion, to check that and possibly close the gap if the issue keeps occurring. I have heard of twins revving higher than that with 0 issues and the fork stop... Something must be up with it, or the clip install when you have pulled It before to fix the problem.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

All work is done by Top Level Performance and it is properly installed and adjusted, they are some of the best mechanics I have had the pleasure to know, and mine is deff not the first fork lock they installed, they have checked it several times to make sure its on correct because the clip popped a few weeks back also... And the clip popping 5 times within a year ? I think that's some sort of record... I'm absolutely sure it's not improper install because of the volume of clutches they install with no issues, but I have deff slammed gears much harder than I did yesterday, with no issue... Anybody have any input on options to convert this clutch to a hydraulic throw out bearing ?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doesnt exedy sell something that stops the clip from popping out?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No they don't, they recommend the fork stop actually. This is the first I've heard of it popping off with a fork stop also. With the number out there and the rarity of this my guess would have to be on clutch fork stop not adjusted properly but hard to diagnose sight unseen
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I were you, I would check the fork stop to clutch fork clearance yourself after install and keep any eye on it because it requires adjustment from time to time. As the clutch itself wears it will need to be moved.

-Em
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

^^I have the STM fork stopper and have no lift shifted the car with out any issues on my exedy twin. Sounds like it needs adjustment.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fork stopper is a good idea, but I like the extra wave springs behind the wedge collar...try that. Also I wonder how much thrust clearance is on your crank, that will have a tendency to ruin those clips.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 20gmr
The fork stopper is a good idea, but I like the extra wave springs behind the wedge collar...try that. Also I wonder how much thrust clearance is on your crank, that will have a tendency to ruin those clips.
This Is good info, thank you !
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Hey, guys,
Any further info/diagnosis for this problem? I'm considering installing a twin-disc + fork stop. If this can still happen, then I don't know what to decide.

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 20gmr
I have been told that this will work but will make it harder to pop the collar off next time...

I had one SD twin and my current HD was rebuild once. So for the last 70K miles I nerver once had the clip popping out. And I don't even use the folk stop.

Next time having it apart you should look at the circular (stamped metal) ring the has the "tabs" that hold the ring that has the "notches". You should try to bend those tabs slightly (not too much that will mess up the concentric ring) so that when the notched ring will sit in place snuggly (that they dont wiggle/slip if you try to twist the two parts in opposite directions).

Good luck!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the fork lock and mine just popped of from sitting at a damn light with the clutch down.. it even bent the little rod on the cutch slave cylinder.. im about to sell my evo its the second time.. and taking down the tranny is not fun..