Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Trans help please.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans help please.

Well this is my first post and i wish it wasn't on this topic. I need some help from you guy being that i only owned my 04 Evo for a six months. Today i was crusing in up to NYC and never made it. My trans crapped the bed. I just got a Shep racing stage 3 Tcase installed.

I do daily drive the car, Im asking you guys/girls what would be the most pratical set up for a street/street car? If your running a shep trans how do you like it and is the REM ISF treatment worth it? There car came with a ACT clutch in it and the TOB just started rattling. Is a light flywheel worth it? I do plan on doing a big turbo kit at some point. Any help would be awesome. thanks

Last edited by Bluebyou89; Jun 27, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are several good used trans on here. The stock trans with the driver mod will last a long time even with 500+ whp. Slip the clutch, clutches are cheaper than transmissions.

Josh
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:11 AM

Stock trans with driver mod? i need some education on this stuff.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, Driver mod just means don't drive it like a Honda, a performance AWD car is a totally different animal. It took me a while to get used to driving the Evo so I totally understand. Slip the clutch and save the trans. Clutches are much cheaper than transmissions.

Josh
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jmelocik
Sorry, Driver mod just means don't drive it like a Honda, a performance AWD car is a totally different animal. It took me a while to get used to driving the Evo so I totally understand. Slip the clutch and save the trans. Clutches are much cheaper than transmissions.

Josh
that depends on the clutch. an exedy twin or triple is 2-3 times the cost of a shep 5 speed.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Either way, would you rather need to replace a clutch or a transmission and have the down time of waiting for the transmission to be rebuilt? Or you could blow your transfer case? Or maybe your rear diff? I'll stick to slipping the clutch! LOL But you are absolutely right, some of the clutches that are available now are more than the price Shep charges to upgrade or rebuild your broken transmission, not including hard parts that are damaged that aren't part of the rebuild package.

Josh
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:29 PM

I want to built this thing right the first time around. I been trying to figure out what clutch will be right for me, im sure a twin disk set up is outta my price range. I know shep offers alot of options, is there any benifits with running a evo9 1st gear or 5th gear ratio? Does anyone have any first hand experince with the REM ISF process they offer? As for the clutch i been looking at the ACT the Heavy duty street clutch. my TOB used to make a rattle noise, should i use a OEM TOB? i know these questions are everywhere but im looking at the intire picture. When i get a solid parts list ill post it and if anyone has any suggestions on any of it let me know.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i called shep and asked what he suggested for my 700whp build. he said the basic build for $895 or whatever is just fine. it sounded like he offers the isf because people want it, not because he thinks it does anything. i'd say call him. he will walk you thru your options and is quite helpful and doesnt try to sell crap you dont need.