Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Sent my Exhaust Manifold to Buschur for Porting & Jet Coating BUT....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coating Color...?

While were on the subject: Does the color if the coating affect how well it works? Like what is the difference between a silver coating and a black coating, besides appearance? Does one color insulate better than another?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by burtomr
While were on the subject: Does the color if the coating affect how well it works? Like what is the difference between a silver coating and a black coating, besides appearance? Does one color insulate better than another?
It depends on the company. Some times the colors are just that, colors for appearance. But some times the colors represent the temp. the coating can withstand.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 01:37 PM

What I meant was does the color of the coating have any affect on the ability to hold heat, or reflect heat. Does a black coating hold heat better than a silver color? Same question for reflecting heat. Some manufacturers offer black coatings, some offer silver coatings. Is there a difference in heat retention or refection because of the color? I know that if we were comparing radiated heat (energy), like sunlight, that a black coating would hold absorb and hold more heat than a silver coating, but what about transmitted heat like an exhaust manifold. Does the color of the coating have an affect when the heat energy comes from within?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by burtomr
What I meant was does the color of the coating have any affect on the ability to hold heat, or reflect heat. Does a black coating hold heat better than a silver color? Same question for reflecting heat. Some manufacturers offer black coatings, some offer silver coatings. Is there a difference in heat retention or refection because of the color? I know that if we were comparing radiated heat (energy), like sunlight, that a black coating would hold absorb and hold more heat than a silver coating, but what about transmitted heat like an exhaust manifold. Does the color of the coating have an affect when the heat energy comes from within?
Well if you basing it just on color, then I dont exactly know. Like you said, the color black does hold and absorb more heat but I dont know if colors have an acutal affect on coatings.

But what I saying above is some companies use color to represent different temp withstanding. ie. Company's silver coating only withstands 1300*F, but that same company's black coating can withstand 2000*F
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm just saying.... your manifold is going to get glowing hot and whatever is touching that manifold is going to get to same temp. The coating is not going to reflect that kind of heat down stream.

I have read that coatings help protect the part, they sometimes reduce exhaust turbulence by filling in and smoothing out rough exhaust components, and they do reduce heat at cruise and idle thus helping to slow heat soak when in low speed, partial throttle, or dead stop situations.

The non vendor testing I've seen shows that it doesn't do much when the exhaust is being punished at 1500*. Now "not much" is not "none" and to some those pretty looks might be worth the hundred bucks. But if in a hurry to reassemble a car I don't think I would lose any sleep over not coating the part as the factory heat shield does an excellent job of preventing heat from radiating in the engine bay. It also hides that pretty little thing tucked away behind it.

This is the last I'll say about it as its not that big of an expense or gain. But... I would invest more heavily in porting and improving flow.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Have you ever had a ceramic coated parts on your car?

If the ceramic is done properly, it wont "chip off in a year".

Also, most quality ceramic coatings work, and work well. You can test them yourself just by touching the item after the engine has be running. The ceramic coated item will always feel cooler to the touch then the non ceramic counter part.

I also still keep all heat shields installed when using ceramic coated parts. Ceramic coating is not a replacement for heat shields, its added protection.

And ceramic coating keep the heat in the manifold or DP, which it turns keeps exhaust gas velocities high.

You are kinda right though. There are companies that do ceramic coating, but use poor methods/poor quality coating, that does end up flaking off or not working as advertised. Just like with any part or service, you just got to research it and go with someone respected in the ceramic coating biz.

(DISCLAIMER - Dont go run out and touch your hot manifold, etc. Use cation if trying to test ceramic coating with your hand/skin. I take no responsibility if you hurt/burn yourself. Do at your own risk.)
this...

my swain coated downpipe was surprisingly cool to the touch only a couple of minutes after shut down...i can actually keep my hand on it
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

My 2 cents...... I asked the same question about color affecting the ability for a thermal coating to do its job to a local reputable powder coating business owner. The answer was no. It's the material used. Color reflects light. When light is what is creating the heat then yes it would matter. Radiant heat is different and the material that insulates is what matters. I had my exhaust phenolic powder coated by the same business in a dark grey of all things and I can touch it with my hand immediately after getting out of my car. Hot but doesn't burn me.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4xforce
My 2 cents...... I asked the same question about color affecting the ability for a thermal coating to do its job to a local reputable powder coating business owner. The answer was no. It's the material used. Color reflects light. When light is what is creating the heat then yes it would matter. Radiant heat is different and the material that insulates is what matters. I had my exhaust phenolic powder coated by the same business in a dark grey of all things and I can touch it with my hand immediately after getting out of my car. Hot but doesn't burn me.
Sound about right to me.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 4xforce
I can touch it with my hand immediately after getting out of my car. Hot but doesn't burn me.
I would love to see a video of you running the car a bit then pressing your finger on the exhaust manifold. That would easily sell me on coatings or send you to the emergency ward!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4DOORGALLOR
I would love to see a video of you running the car a bit then pressing your finger on the exhaust manifold. That would easily sell me on coatings or send you to the emergency ward!
I never mentioned touching the manifold nor would I when it's hot. I will clarify for you by saying I can touch the muffler at the rear of the car after driving it without burning myself. Got it now?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

off topic but this thread already went off topic lol. i have a question maybe someone can answer. will having your manifold ported and o2 housing ported affect a tune in a negative way if the car has already been tuned for basic bolt ons..
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...-bov-more.html

I have a stock manifold if you'd like to save the downtime... no problem sending it to the porting/polishing/ceramic coating shop of your choice.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tirado Custom Coatings

Originally Posted by RockmanX
you can go to

PPI
buschur
Map
or any good shop like iveytune for example could port it. there are other people that can coat it like Carlos at Tirado Custom Coatings
UPDATE!!! Wanted to report back my experience:

RockmanX, thanks for the recommendations and thanks to everyone that made suggestions. There were so many great options to consider!

One of the first few calls I made was to Carlos at Tirado Custom Coatings...
Carlos was great to do business with, his pricing was very competitive, and he promised he could turn-around the job, in 2-3 days. I agreed to have his shop do the work...in addition:

1) He suggested to ship the EM direct to him from Buschur to speed things up!
2) He provided me with very timely updates! Communication was top notch.
3) He started working on my EM same day it arrived!
4) He worked very late to get the job done quickly (I got an email update that it was finished and ready to ship at almost 9pm at night)!
5) He sent a follow-up email the day it arrived to ensure it was undamaged and that I was happy!

Cool guy and Straight-up some of the best service I've received in a very long time.

I would highly recommend TCC!

Here are some pics of my EM:

Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what I tell you babyboy Carlos is just on another planet when it comes to coating. if you want your **** Gangster you see the Man Carlos Tirado Custom Coatings
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mchristian
UPDATE!!! Wanted to report back my experience:

RockmanX, thanks for the recommendations and thanks to everyone that made suggestions. There were so many great options to consider!

One of the first few calls I made was to Carlos at Tirado Custom Coatings...
Carlos was great to do business with, his pricing was very competitive, and he promised he could turn-around the job, in 2-3 days. I agreed to have his shop do the work...in addition:

1) He suggested to ship the EM direct to him from Buschur to speed things up!
2) He provided me with very timely updates! Communication was top notch.
3) He started working on my EM same day it arrived!
4) He worked very late to get the job done quickly (I got an email update that it was finished and ready to ship at almost 9pm at night)!
5) He sent a follow-up email the day it arrived to ensure it was undamaged and that I was happy!

Cool guy and Straight-up some of the best service I've received in a very long time.

I would highly recommend TCC!

Here are some pics of my EM:

Glad you got it taken care off. It looks great.

I hear many great things about Carlos and Tirado Custom Coatings

Quick Reply: Sent my Exhaust Manifold to Buschur for Porting & Jet Coating BUT....