Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So you have Meth Injection.. Are your pistons also cracked??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Good idea.. Rather than be stuck with a blown motor id much rather be stuck with a good Double pumper and some injectors.. A fad?? Even if the gas stations quit selling it their will always be suppliers for E98.. If it disappeared 100% i would make my own.. id much rather do that than lose HP..

Mike
OK OK Bash me if you want. Damn tough crowd. If E85 is around when I get a built motor next spring then I will switch to E85. So most likley I will switch. I will keep my meth kit as backup though
Old Jul 21, 2010, 03:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can summerise the essence of this thread, as long as people continue to use meth with knowing the limitation of their system. There will be more and more negative threads like this, and rightly so.

At present, there are two train of thought on increasing the engine power, E85 and WMI. Unfortunately it is shared between the same group of pontential customers. Gaining one's market share will be in the expenses of the other. Rather highlighting the merit of E85, it has slowly become a negative champaign. This thread is one example.

As far as I am concerned, it is perfectly acceptable for AWD to post this because the WMI makers leave an opened goal for the E85 camp to trickle the ball behind the net. This is no different from the early years of the WMI champaign. Highlight on tuning an engine to run 10:1 AFR under high load to stop knock. Take a look now, 11.8-12:1 is the norm and planty of power over the "fuel dumping" days.

Due to the wide range of system capabilities out there. Until one is prepared to look closely and carefully to what they are buying into, it is just too easy to be mesmerized by the marketing hypes, there will be more blown engines. When this happen, the blame will always on the WMI industry and more negative posts.

Saving a few dollars on a wmi system without adequate failsafe is simply asking for trouble somewhere down the line. As regarding system performance, it also plays a large part in keeeping the AFR consistant under all loads. Aquamist still resists the temptation of making a boost based, pump speed system to date. We continue to develop our IDC system based on the "tried and tested" PWM-valve technology as used in all modern cars. In our opinion, this is the most logical approach to WMI, allowing seamless meth intergration into a modified engine with consistant AFR under all loads and plenty of dynamic flow range to cope.

I can only highlight the weakness of the WMI industry by offering a system without adequate failsafe and ability to track engine load over the upper end of the power curve. Here is one of those situations that will lead to a posssible engine failure.

I hope people reading this will only tune their wmi equipped car within the capability the system offered. Beyond it, it will be all tears.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
The thing is folks, is E85 is ONLY here for political reasons, it is NOT popular in the senate if you people listen to them. It is proposed to be phased out startingin 2012. For the first time in US HISTORY we have imported Grains. E85 is poor in MPG as was the hope and its TOO exspensive to produce efficiently. Within 5 yrs E85 will be out. I will try to get it in writing, but email your local congress or senator, they will tell you.

So now what? and ALLOT of E85 stations on the West coast WTF?? in California we have like 15 in the whole state. Closest one to me is over 100 miles away. I drive my car every day, E85 equals 15mph, I would get roughly 150 miles before needing gas, I drive 300 a week? NOT PRACTICAL.

Seems I am stuck on 91 CA **** gas for longer. Was going to get a aquamist HFS-3, but may have second thoughts now..

Again, if you dont believe me on the E85 write your congressmen, or woman.
People have said this before and it turned out to be a bunch of bs.

Most sources that claim e85 has accounted for most the rise in food prices don't even have any sources to that claim.

If you really do the research e85 barely has affected food prices, I did the reading and it came out to something like 5% maybe. Think about it, how many e85 stations are there? NOT THAT MANY.

Most foreign countries use e85 like its water. I think you will find the exact opposite of what you said in the years to come.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:57 AM

Well I have been running 100% meth for the last 3 years on my car and so far i have not had 1 trouble with it, now when i read most of threads to me it sound like there are no fail safe installed on the car. Like on mine for instance that any thing goes wrong with the pump or electrical i have a fail safe on the car that makes it go to waste gate pressure.. So this will help prevent detination on the car on spool or wot.. I would like to run E85 my self for more power but some of us do not have that, so we use what we can get are hands on... I will also say like some of you it also falls on the tune you have to have a good tuner that knows what he is doing with meth to keep it safe and with mine he has done a great job at MDR performance for the last 3 years...
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:14 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
so what kinds of fail safes are you guys using to prevent the pump from flooding your engine should it short out, etc?

turbo cars have lots that can go wrong. parts, tuning, sensors, vacuum lines. i just don't want to add ANOTHER four or five things to go wrong. i have enough to worry about as it is. LOL
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
so what kinds of fail safes are you guys using to prevent the pump from flooding your engine should it short out, etc?

turbo cars have lots that can go wrong. parts, tuning, sensors, vacuum lines. i just don't want to add ANOTHER four or five things to go wrong. i have enough to worry about as it is. LOL
Well i am running a Labonte Meth Kit, with the fail safe system that i have on it is ran to a controll box that runs the pump, the nozzel, and the electrical so if one of those does not work it will not turn on the fail safe system so it will put it to waste gate pressure.. In my opion you get what you pay for and i spent a little extra on the fail safe so i would not run into that problem..
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:40 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by will05
Well i am running a Labonte Meth Kit, with the fail safe system that i have on it is ran to a controll box that runs the pump, the nozzel, and the electrical so if one of those does not work it will not turn on the fail safe system so it will put it to waste gate pressure.. In my opion you get what you pay for and i spent a little extra on the fail safe so i would not run into that problem..
but what if they "over" work. if the pump were to short out, it would turn on and stay on. you found a way to automatically cut power to the pump if that were to happen? your car can be idling or maybe even not running and this could happen. go to start you car and can't 'cause it's hydrolocked.
if i can find a way to keep this from happening (i realize it's rare, but still possible) then i'd feel a bit better using my meth kit.
i know things can go wrong every day. i just don't wanna ADD things to go wrong, you know? especially not for the slight bit of extra power my setup would see.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
but what if they "over" work. if the pump were to short out, it would turn on and stay on. you found a way to automatically cut power to the pump if that were to happen? your car can be idling or maybe even not running and this could happen. go to start you car and can't 'cause it's hydrolocked.
if i can find a way to keep this from happening (i realize it's rare, but still possible) then i'd feel a bit better using my meth kit.
i know things can go wrong every day. i just don't wanna ADD things to go wrong, you know? especially not for the slight bit of extra power my setup would see.

My system activates off of boost, some my pump is not running when the car is at a idle or even when i am driving.. I have to get over 10 psi to activate the kit and once if it loses voltage or a short or boost or pump failer it goes into bypass and then it turns every thing off leaving with waste gate pressure only. So my pump never runs all the time but only when it hits its target psi.. Every thing has to go through a controll box and if one thing goes wrong it kills every thing and putting it to the fail safe...
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by SRToad4
We actually have a lot of e85 on the west coast, but in Arizona, 90% of it is located in Tucson, which is a good 2.5 hour drive for me.
I have 3 stations within 15 minutes of my house. About half of the new chevrons are getting e85 pumps. The racegas depot in south phoenix sells drums of e98 for about $150.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

The Post

I agree with Richard and his post. I had the same problem when I was running the Coolingmist CMGS kit in my Evo. Hence the Problem. Tuners do not check the lower gears when doing dyno tuning on MOST ocasions. If they do, its a fluke. So all along people go home thinking their car made all this power and they are happy not realizing they are getting serious knock in the lower gears. I have posted about this on numerous Evo Forums.

If you have an upgraded turbo charger, something that takes longer to spool, then I dont think the problem would be there, because by the time the turbo builds boost, the water mix is there and your ok. In an OEM turbo, the turbo spools so quickly that the WMI just can't get there quick enough. Even with me running Cozzie M3 cams, it STILL was an issue on a stock Turbo.

My question is Richard, with the FAV in the Aquamist system and the system being primed to 160psi, this should quell the problem in prospective. Why? the FAV and the primed line acts like an OEM Fuel system. Soon as the FAV gets the signal it sprays instantly. No delay. This I feel with proper tuning and installation of the Aquamist or similar system with a primed line and a valve system that works in conjunton with the controller (not a PSI rated system that opens at a certain PSI) is more full proof.

Additonally, hooking up to IDC or the TPS in essence may be better than Boost only since the ECU of the WMI is reading off of the OEM ECU and would be much quicker and accurate. This is just in theory since I have not tested it myself, but it just makes more sense. I have tried the "other" way and it FAILED. So I ripped the system out. I am going to buy a HFS-3 system and give that a try. ITS CRITICAL that you have someone install these kits that know what they are doing. I am also planning the use of a Temphra Mod to act as a fail safe to the HFS-3 to trigger a 91 map in the event of failure of the pump, hose, or a clog.

Take note, the systems are engineered to work flawlessly, but that doesn't mean they are perfect. It has so much to do with the installation and a proper tune. I just cant stress that enough.

For all those that want to push E85, all power to you, but note it is not widely available, and back in the day when you "heard" E85 was going bye bye? Wasn't in the middle of a depression/recession with the USA importing grains for the first time in our nations history. E85 as a whole has failed as an idea. It has gained acceptence in the Evo community and other race applications, but that is not enough to save it. If you have stations in your area great, I would do the same thing as you. For me, its just not practical for an Evo that gets driven on a daily basis.

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Jul 23, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

My friend just blew up his STI, and a fun fact is we found out one of the lines had a hole in it a month or so before, and the meth wasnt even getting to the motor, but the tune was set up for it
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:42 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by italianevo88
My friend just blew up his STI, and a fun fact is we found out one of the lines had a hole in it a month or so before, and the meth wasnt even getting to the motor, but the tune was set up for it
so the meth had nothing to do with blowing up the engine?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
so the meth had nothing to do with blowing up the engine?
no I think it was why, because it was tuned for meth, but the meth wasnt getting to the motor
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^ ???
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I must be one of few that doesn't use the cheap tubing when it comes to meth. Regular stuff that comes with kits is for the birds.

Also compression fittings upgrade should be a must. Quick connects are a failing point.

Quick Reply: So you have Meth Injection.. Are your pistons also cracked??