Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So you have Meth Injection.. Are your pistons also cracked??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah it was the same quality as the hose for your boost guage, cheap $**t plastic that got a hole in it
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:37 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by italianevo88
no I think it was why, because it was tuned for meth, but the meth wasnt getting to the motor
k. i'm confused. LOL.. you said the car wasn't tuned for meth because the kit wasn't working. this leads me to believe the car was tuned on pump gas only.
so... how can the meth kit have caused failure?

did it suddenly start working and ended up washing the cylinders?

or did someone drop in a tune that was meant for an Sti with a meth kit? <- if that's the case, of course it's going to blow up. you can't use someone else's tune on your car.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:38 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by italianevo88
yeah it was the same quality as the hose for your boost guage, cheap $**t plastic that got a hole in it
i always marveled at the tubing that comes with these kits. one wrong move and you have a permanent kink/possible crack in the line. seems pretty risky.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
k. i'm confused. LOL.. you said the car wasn't tuned for meth because the kit wasn't working. this leads me to believe the car was tuned on pump gas only.
so... how can the meth kit have caused failure?

did it suddenly start working and ended up washing the cylinders?

or did someone drop in a tune that was meant for an Sti with a meth kit? <- if that's the case, of course it's going to blow up. you can't use someone else's tune on your car.

I believe he said that the friends car was tuned for meth, however, the hole in the line deprived a large amount of meth from getting to the motor. Eg he's tuned for 12.0:1 af ...when his kit was nice and fresh. His meth kit after a few months or year(s) has line in the tubing...the same amount of meth that would normally get to the intake is dropped by a huge % ...his tune doesn't change, the ecu will still deduct whatever amount of fuel he was tuned for a doesn't compensate in time.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:46 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Evoryder
I believe he said that the friends car was tuned for meth, however, the hole in the line deprived a large amount of meth from getting to the motor. Eg he's tuned for 12.0:1 af ...when his kit was nice and fresh. His meth kit after a few months or year(s) has line in the tubing...the same amount of meth that would normally get to the intake is dropped by a huge % ...his tune doesn't change, the ecu will still deduct whatever amount of fuel he was tuned for a doesn't compensate in time.
I'm familiar with the principals involved and how it works, a couple of us just misunderstood what he was saying.
At first, it sounded like the meth kit wasn't working when they tuned the car, so we were like "????". LOL
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj
so the meth had nothing to do with blowing up the engine?
Meth didn't cause it but the kit did
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

I've run meth injections for over a decade on 3 different cars with no cracked pistons. I know of dozens of people who have also run it for a long time with no problems. I don't think meth was the culprit directly. It's been in use since WWII. I have NEVER seen a piston crack from the proper use of injection.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:40 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by colonelfox
I've run meth injections for over a decade on 3 different cars with no cracked pistons. I know of dozens of people who have also run it for a long time with no problems. I don't think meth was the culprit directly. It's been in use since WWII. I have NEVER seen a piston crack from the proper use of injection.
Key word is "proper". Nobody is saying meth kills pistons. They're saying most, basic meth KITS may be responsible, due to the inability to properly distribute the meth evenly and/or if anything goes wrong with the kit then "boom" goes a motor.
There are many things that can go wrong with a methanol kit. To some of us, it's just not worth the risk.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

To be fair when running meth most people are pushing the limit in terms of boost and the tune. I've never seen anyone running lightly tweaked fuel, timing and low boost while cramming meth in. It's no different then getting a bad tank of gas and detonating on high boost. It's a risk like any modification. One person isn't going to successfully convince me that meth is the problem.
Saying that I switched to E85 about 6 months ago and made considerably more power than meth ever allowed. When it's available E85 is a much better alternative but few people have access to it. Meth injection, installed properly and maintained regularly is not dangerous to run.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:40 AM
kaj

I don't think anyone would argue with your post assuming "properly installed" includes a way to evenly disribute the meth to each cylinder evenly.
Some people don't mind the risks of using a meth kit just as some don't mind the risk of running a MBC. To each their own.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj
I don't think anyone would argue with your post assuming "properly installed" includes a way to evenly disribute the meth to each cylinder evenly.
Some people don't mind the risks of using a meth kit just as some don't mind the risk of running a MBC. To each their own.
Never knew an MBC was risky.. All the cars i have seen overboost and blow had EBC's that decided to do whatever they wanted to do.. Another part we run on all our cars to simplify the setup.. MBC FTW..

Mike
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:54 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Never knew an MBC was risky.. All the cars i have seen overboost and blow had EBC's that decided to do whatever they wanted to do.. Another part we run on all our cars to simplify the setup.. MBC FTW..

Mike
Very risky. Overboosting can cause engine failure.
My point was ANY modification comes a certain amount of risk. Whether or not it's "worth it" is up to the individual.
Sorry, I probably shoulda included an explaination with my comment. I just got off a 64hr shift. Kinda running on auto pilot. LOL
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

As the title stated, I would be worried too

So you have Meth Injection.. Are your pistons also Cracked??

Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

Originally Posted by kaj
Im sure I can't convince you anymore than you can me. Even disbursement can't occur completely but at a high pressure through a quality nozzle, atomization occurs. Proper placement of the nozzle insures the charge enters the intake and gets a very good disbursement. Its not perfect but again decades of uae have proven that its adaquate. But as you said to each their own. As with any mod you need to weigh the risks and benefits and find your own conclusion based on the facts, not an assumption.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports

Mike
Isn't that what boost limits/cuts are used for?

Quick Reply: So you have Meth Injection.. Are your pistons also cracked??