Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So you have Meth Injection.. Are your pistons also cracked??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Honestly though, doesnt this seem likes its more than just meth that caused this?? That things fooked!

With proper atomization and a proper flowing system, I dont think a piston should get that wrecked (I have no clue tho for sure).

If the nozzle was clogged and it was like spitting droplets and only the first few cylinders were seeing any of the meth then yes, but shouldnt a properly functioning meth system still help get a relatively good amount of meth vapors to the cyildners further from the throttle body?
No it doesnt seem like more than meth.. This is EXACTLY what i have seen on 20 motors..

The piston was wrecked because it cracked.. The reason it cracked is because of the meth.. He had been driving on cracked pistons for who knows how long..

If the nozzle was clogged it wouldnt do it to just cyl 1 which is furthest from the nozzle and doesnt see the meth like cyl #4..

The fact remains.. 90% of blown Evo Motors we see ALL HAVE METH.. Including an Evo X we just got.. And go figure Cyl#1 was the only wet one.. The pistons didnt crack but cyl1 has 80 compression..
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Honestly though, doesnt this seem likes its more than just meth that caused this?? That things fooked!

With proper atomization and a proper flowing system, I dont think a piston should get that wrecked (I have no clue tho for sure).

If the nozzle was clogged and it was like spitting droplets and only the first few cylinders were seeing any of the meth then yes, but shouldnt a properly functioning meth system still help get a relatively good amount of meth vapors to the cyildners further from the throttle body?
Thats the problem, this happens because the meth system fails for some reason and leaves the owner high and dry. Most failsafes cant react fast enough at high boost, high timing, and extremely lean AFRs when the meth suddenly kicks off. I am assuming that happened prior to the car going to AWD at least a few times.

aaron
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting to point blame on meth, but was the owner : (1) logging knock (doubt it), (2) did the owner have knock kill boost feature (tephra v5 - v7), and (3) what AFRs was the car tuned at prior to the failure ? I agree that ideally each cylinder would get the same amount of fuel (direct port injection), but can't understand how this could not have been caught with the proper failsafes.....
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evoryder
This could be from poor nozzle placement, incorrect nozzle size. Failure of the pump activation. This stuff happens on motors that don't run meth also.

Meth is like a hot girl who seems stuck up, but is actually really just shy. Got to get to know her
You are 100% right however the fact remains this stuff happens 90% less on motors without the meth.. There is nobody who will ever convince me its a coincidence that everytime a guy calls and says his motor is blown and i ask " do you have meth? " and he says " yeah but the meth didnt cause it" that it wasnt the meth..

Sure Poor tuning along with meth leads to blown motors but if there is NO METH on the car and you have poor tuning, bad gas, or anything its MORE LIKELY to survive then it is with METH on the car.. Period..

Mike
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder
100% water should affect a/f...you're adding o2 to the mix that wouldn't normally be there.
That oxygen is bound and unavailable for combustion. If it were available, H2O injection would behave like a huge shot of nitrous.

... but shouldnt a properly functioning meth system still help get a relatively good amount of meth vapors to the cyildners further from the throttle body?
The two largest drawbacks are the fact that MeOH is less volatile than gasoline (it doesn't evaporate as quickly), and it converts a dry flow manifold to a wet flow system - a purpose for which it is not designed and probably not very efficient in that capacity.

At any rate, this piston was beaten to death with detonation well before it was delivered to Mike. One can only guess what was happening prior to his receiving the car, and for how long.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cij911
Interesting to point blame on meth, but was the owner : (1) logging knock (doubt it), (2) did the owner have knock kill boost feature (tephra v5 - v7), and (3) what AFRs was the car tuned at prior to the failure ? I agree that ideally each cylinder would get the same amount of fuel (direct port injection), but can't understand how this could not have been caught with the proper failsafes.....
Im not single handedly blaming the meth im simply trying to help make the community aware of the risks that go along with it..

It has an AEM in it..

Im going to say once again its my opinion that the Meth caused it because unlike the other poorly tuned AEM car we had last month that blew up this one has 1 piston cracked not all 4.. and by chance its cyl #1 go figure.. the METH Killer..

Mike
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow well so much for meth on my car.....thanks mike
why dont you post this **** on highboost?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Here are some pics of another from last month with all Pistons cracked from poor tuning and once again the car by coincidence HAS METH.. LOL

Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mullen
wow well so much for meth on my car.....thanks mike
why dont you post this **** on highboost?
I should copy it over there too.. Im spread so thin on forums for several cars i forget to post there too.. Thanks!!

Mike
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
but when it kicks in the feeling is like no other
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
but when it kicks in the feeling is like no other
Yeah and when the car is set up properly like on E85 you dont wait for anything to kick in and its always on.. And E85 feels like no other IMO..

Mike
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could the meth be cooling to tops of the pistons to much and making them crack from temp changes?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Yeah and when the car is set up properly like on E85 you dont wait for anything to kick in and its always on.. And E85 feels like no other IMO..

Mike
Hey listen bud not everyone is so fortunate to have an E85 pump every 50 feet, in NJ we have one place that apparently sells it and thats just not doable
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ak47po
Could the meth be cooling to tops of the pistons to much and making them crack from temp changes?
No that isnt the case.. Not to mention it all goes back to the same story its ONLY cyl #1 the cylinder that sees the very least amount of meth..

Mike
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Time to get my borescope out to check my pistons. If I see this then I will switch to E85

Quick Reply: So you have Meth Injection.. Are your pistons also cracked??