Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So you have Meth Injection.. Are your pistons also cracked??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Sure i can dig up some dyno charts of cars coming in here @ 13+ AFR WOT..

All cars on the road run this AFR??

Maybe you need to be clearer on this one as i am not understanding what cars come in 13+ AFR Boosted Factory and live for long..

Evo X doesnt
GTR doesnt
STi Doesnt

Should i go on??

Lets not get into too many subjects at 1x.. Direct injection is not on the cars we are discussing..
Mike, you have mis-read.

No, not 13:1 but 14.7:1, lambda = 1.

All cars run on that on close loop. I did not say WOT. This is the very reason I asked you to show me a dyno chart of your car at 14:1 (mustang dyno please), held at peak boost and peak torque region for, say 10 minutes? I will then believe your claims. Don't post any other chart on other dynos - it will be meaningless.

Don't forget, the title is about "cracked piston on meth", not about E85. If you want to go off topic, do allow me too on DI engines.

Last edited by Richard L; Aug 28, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
I cant disagree your right that much of it is poor tuning..
Let me further my point even more by saying that not only is this the result of poor tuning, this is probably the result of NO tuning at all. Setup properly and tuned properly, water/methanol injection is effective and reliable. It's when someone incorrectly installs and incorrectly uses a water/methanol injection system (incorrectly using would mean not getting tuned after adding water/methanol injection) that problems like these occur.

The first engine was obviously knocking and like I said before, water/methanol injection didn't cause the top of the pistons to crack and break away and the ring to break; detonation did. I'm willing to bet that this thing had been detonating for a while. Mike said it himself... all it took was 4 pulls at 14 psi of boost on pump gas and then the ring let go. I didn't see any pics showing the pieces of broken piston so i would assume that those are already long gone which furthers my point that this thing had been detonating for a while.

Did anyone ask the customer how long the injection system had been on the car? What nozzle size? Did they install the kit after they had already had some knock issues (this is common)? What were their AFR's before and after injection? What were they injecting? Who tuned it and how did they do it? What are they using for engine management? Was there even fluid in the tank??? Was there no knock feedback? Could they hear knock and if so did they continue to drive their car while it was knocking? I see more unanswered questions than I see explanations on what really caused this to happen.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but what I'm seeing are a bunch of installations and no tuning... none. Not all the installs are always bad but the lack of tuning will always make a good install look bad regardless. Inexperienced water/methanol injection users want to go out and get the biggest gain possible and they do so with no regard to proper fuel or ignition tuning.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Kinda off subject but in reference to WMI does anyone know if SCCA sanctioned events allow cars with WMI on the tracks for SOLLO II? I heard no, even if its switched off, but need to confirm since I am planning to run soon. That can be a deciding factor for me right there.

Additonally, I like the water alone aspect of this. Its just hard to find people to tune that know this stuff good enough to try it. I guess if my car was a garage queen or driven once in a blue moon, I wouldn't care. I need my car reliable. Or its worthless to me since I drive it daily.

Anyway, just curious if anyone knows...on the regs on SOLO II and WMI. Thanks..

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Aug 27, 2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:09 AM
Former Sponsor

This post was not about wmi/crack piston, it is a twisted marketing exercise to discredit wmi in order to promote MNike@AWS's E85 relate products.

I would like to know the answers to all those questions you posted to Mike. I don't think it is forth coming. I have pressed him for that many times. I have also asked him to provide proof of E85 does not blown engines at 14:1 AFR at WOT, another wild claim of his.

To make his claims more creditable, he must provide more evidence to support it. As said many times before, Mike post was unprofessional to the 1st degree.

Richard

Originally Posted by NS@AEM
Let me further my point even more by saying that not only is this the result of poor tuning, this is probably the result of NO tuning at all. Setup properly and tuned properly, water/methanol injection is effective and reliable. It's when someone incorrectly installs and incorrectly uses a water/methanol injection system (incorrectly using would mean not getting tuned after adding water/methanol injection) that problems like these occur.

The first engine was obviously knocking and like I said before, water/methanol injection didn't cause the top of the pistons to crack and break away and the ring to break; detonation did. I'm willing to bet that this thing had been detonating for a while. Mike said it himself... all it took was 4 pulls at 14 psi of boost on pump gas and then the ring let go. I didn't see any pics showing the pieces of broken piston so i would assume that those are already long gone which furthers my point that this thing had been detonating for a while.

Did anyone ask the customer how long the injection system had been on the car? What nozzle size? Did they install the kit after they had already had some knock issues (this is common)? What were their AFR's before and after injection? What were they injecting? Who tuned it and how did they do it? What are they using for engine management? Was there even fluid in the tank??? Was there no knock feedback? Could they hear knock and if so did they continue to drive their car while it was knocking? I see more unanswered questions than I see explanations on what really caused this to happen.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but what I'm seeing are a bunch of installations and no tuning... none. Not all the installs are always bad but the lack of tuning will always make a good install look bad regardless. Inexperienced water/methanol injection users want to go out and get the biggest gain possible and they do so with no regard to proper fuel or ignition tuning.

Last edited by Richard L; Aug 28, 2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ Trust me, you won't getting anymore proof then a couple pictures of unknown origin.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Richard L
This post was not about wmi/crack piston, it is a twisted marketing exercise to discredit wmi in order to promote MNike@AWS's E85 relate products.

I would like to know the answers to all those questions you posted to Mike. I don't think it is forth coming. I have pressed him for that many times. I have also asked him to provide proof of E85 does not blown engines at 14:1 AFR at WOT, another wild claim of his.

To make his claims more creditable, he must provide more evidence to support it. As said many times before, Mike post was unprofessional to the 1st degree.

Richard
Please name What E85 related products your referring to Robert?? I thought i was pretty polite in this thread.. No problem.. I have something for you and it has Aquamist written all over it.. your going to love the pics from this next blown up car i that should be here shortly from Miami..

Your reaching now with your comments.. Since your experience is MUCH LESS THAN MINE in the REAL world of building and tuning cars... Ill send in a few experts who tune for us to back up my claims that we have seen more cars with E85 run lean and survive then Meth or pump...

lastly if you want to make this a personal attack against me we can go that route.. I dont think you really want to do that.. i NEVER said AQUAMIST PRODUCTS blow motors.. i stated 100% FACTS.. I have MANY cars here that are blown.. Most of them have meth.. if you cannot handle the facts start your own thread showing why meth is so great or ill start reporting any comments directly bashing me or my ways of doing business.. I dont think you want to travel that road.. With 13k views i think my point got across to most of the members that can make common sense decisions..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Aug 28, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Mike,

At last we started to communicate properly.

An attack on a niche market we dearly loved and cherished over the years, is to me very personal. This title of yours is really inapt as well as very upsetting for many of my customers.

Did you realise that?

I can see exacty the direction where this thread is going if we continue in this manner... I will continiue to ask for more details and you will continue to post the merit of E85. This thread is going no where. I might ever request this thread to be removed.

I think we should stop here before we say think we both regret later. What you you think?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Richard L
Mike,

At last we started to communicate properly.

An attack on a niche market we dearly loved and cherished over the years, is to me very personal. This title of yours is really inapt as well as very upsetting for many of my customers.

Did you realise that?

I can see exacty the direction where this thread is going if we continue in this manner... I will continiue to ask for more details and you will continue to post the merit of E85. This thread is going no where. I might ever request this thread to be removed.

I think we should stop here before we say think we both regret later. What you you think?
sure lets delete it.. The next blown up car on meth that comes thru here which wont be long ill document everything thoroughly.. why dont you give me a list i can print out and check off of what you want to know about the car..

My intention was to make the members aware of the possibilities of blown motors when you rely on METH to make the power you cant make on 93.. PERIOD..

IM DONE

Mike
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:05 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't surprise me. Although there are cars out there running meth with no issues, its a risky thing.

I never agreed with a single nozzle in a UICP. Injectors are right at the intake manifold. I wonder if there were a second set of individual nozzles near where the gas injectors supplied 93 - that sprayed meth .... would this occur?

I am with you Mike, I prefer E85, just some of us aren't as lucky to have it in abundance.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I will construct a list so that we all learn from it. We'll talk again. I have requested the deletion of this post.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Closed, but will not be removed.

Last edited by Smike; Aug 29, 2010 at 06:13 AM.