Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Trans Dilema on Evo VI TME

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Dilema on Evo VI TME

After some track abuse and hard downshifts, I notice a noise when the car starts on cold, when it's desacelerating and also when putting the gearbon in neutral shift. When we open the transmission we discover that some bearings must be change, that's why the noise is produce.

Taking advantage that all the trans is down and open, I would like to upgrade my transmission with one of the TRE or Shep stage kits, the main issue is that they sell not only the parts, also the service, and I live in Perú, so the service part "can" be a problem... hehehe.

Would someone, PLEASE, let me know who could sell just the parts to upgrade my transmission, and also a full set of reinforced bearings? It's an Evo VI TME GSR so i don't know if there are many "different" parts compare with and evo VIII or IX 5-speed trans.

I would be eternally grateful if maybe John Shepherd from ShepTrans or Jon from TRE can give me a solution for my problem, I have some relatives in USA so the parts could just be sended to their house.

Thanks you very much in advance, i'll hope to hear soon for some info to solve my problem, cheers my 4G63T friends.

R.-

Last edited by Renxo; Jul 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 01:57 PM

Newbie asking for help bump!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 313 Likes on 127 Posts
i was looking to buy a full rebuild kit which is for evo8/9, and one company said they weren't sure if it would work in an evo 5/6 gearbox.
The americans have little or no experience with the earlier model evos (4-7)
Old Jul 7, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have had the evo 4 boxes open. Havent yet seen the 5 or 6 box to see changes. But i can tell you the rebuild kit for 8 will work in the 4 box. there were some small changes in syncros . the later syncros will work in early boxes . all bearings same. there are no upgraded bearings. so dont let anyone sell you any. I would deal with Jon at TRE. he will sell you what you need.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I have had the evo 4 boxes open. Havent yet seen the 5 or 6 box to see changes. But i can tell you the rebuild kit for 8 will work in the 4 box. there were some small changes in syncros . the later syncros will work in early boxes . all bearings same. there are no upgraded bearings. so dont let anyone sell you any. I would deal with Jon at TRE. he will sell you what you need.
Thanks for the info, do you know if he can take international payments?
Thanks again, I'll send an e-mail right now!
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

5 speed gearboxes are identical from evo 4 to 9, there are differences only about gear ratios, and a TRE unit will fit your tme without problems......
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 313 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by giangi
5 speed gearboxes are identical from evo 4 to 9, there are differences only about gear ratios, and a TRE unit will fit your tme without problems......
Are you 100% sure about that?
Alot of people over here blow gearboxes from normal street abuse.
I find it hard to believe that they are the same boxes when the americans run 500-600whp on "stock" gearboxes.

Apparently the weakest part of the evo 4-6 boxes are the output tube from the centre diff, they twist and snap and destroy the gearbox and transfer case.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:50 PM

I hope the compatibility is true, I've just email Jon so I hope I can get an answer soon...

About the 4-6 boxes I don't think they are weaker than the 7-9, my gearbox have 10 years and nothing have fails until just one month ago, and I think it's mostly because of track abuse that I start to give to the car a couple of years ago. It's many times worse for the trans than street abuse.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

strength wise 4-9 boxes are the same. the weak output shaft is same. the t-cases are weaker on the 4-6.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:45 AM

That's right, here in my country, almost ALL the evo 5 and 6 have break their t-cases at least once, except a couple (mines included , I preffer to change clutch discs a couple of times a year than a t-case).

What can I do to make the t-case stronger?, maybe changing the front diff?

Thanks in advance for the answer... I'm still waiting for Jon's respond, really hope that it doesn't take too much to come.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

yes the front diff is weak link in all the t-cases. the 4,5,6 is weaker . aftermarket front diff would shift weak link to output shaft
Old Jul 8, 2010, 01:18 PM

What would you recomend for a daily driver that goes to track once a month? maybe wavetrac?