Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

is it the axles or Tcase?? w/pics

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it the axles or Tcase?? w/pics

sorry not sure which section to post in but here it goes.. (if not MODS MOVE to proper section)

ok well i recently had tranny and clutch work done.. had my evo8 trans rebuilt and a excedy twin disk installed. Had proper break in... 2 weeks later i take it to the track launch like i normally do (slip clutch a bit) and take off.. got a good 3-4 runs in that day not bad, nothing wrong

2 weeks later i go to take it the track again launch same way and noticed it bogged bad as **** out the whole for some reason, i thought it was just maybe a bad launch or watever didnt think much of it. so i park the car let it cool for 30 or so then get back in and when i get out the parking spot and turn right the steering wheel almost struggled to turn as if someone was holding the steering wheel in the opposite way i was trying to turn and when i let go of the wheel it jerked the opposite way WTF!! so i drive a little bit and noticed that its okay when i go straight but once i go into a turn i hear loud *** clicks and banging as if somethings breaking in trans/tcase or axles.

i pop the hood and see grease all over my firewall above the drivers side axle boot and same on passenger. so i figured i blew my axles. couple days later i get some axles (rebuilds) at olympus to replace them along with new outter tie rods and replace them all and some new diaqueen gear oil. So i get the car on a lift to inspect better and to see if there was anything else wrong. then i notice that tcase drain plug was finger tight and really loose.. so we go to drain out the tcase to see how much was in there and only about less than half a quart was in there. we go ahead and take the axles out and noticed the metal clamps on the boots were broken and grease was dripping out causing it to shoot out everywhere

once installed i go for a drive and same encounter the same clunking noise when i go into turns at normal speeds without reducing the speed before the turn.. but if i reduce and take the turn slow and easy you dont hear anything. now the car kinda jerks heavy to left or right side depending on if i slightly turn the wheel along with what sounds like tire squeeling noise???

wTF!! anyone know what it could be or what i should check for?

UPDATE:

reading this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-noise-2.html

could be the following:
-more load front left strut/ spring causing clunk!
-Front sway bar endlinks
-axles not in all the way
-tcase gears all f'd up
-rubber stablizer link getting warm
-loose ball joint

Last edited by Darkn3s; Jul 8, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Your saying if you reduce the speed its fine? Maybe you have a bad wheel bearing??
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

yea if i reduce speed on turns and take it really slow its fine.. but going straight its fine no noises fast or slow.. just wobbly
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Could be worse, could have grenaded third gear and cracked your tranny...lol And then drove home with no 3rd gear and got tranny fluid all over....EVERYTHING. You should have someone stand outside the car and make a turn right by him and see if he can hear where the noise is coming from better.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be your front diff.. I had a problem with mine that was causing my rear wheels to skip when i turn and felt like the car would jerk side to side.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like CV grease.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

When one of my transfer cases/cd was shot, I would be going around a slow corner, 30 mph, and the front wheels would "click" and instead of continuing to turn the car would then go straight. Front diff was toast.

Last edited by boostedwrx; Jul 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
When one of my transfer cases/cd was shot, I would be going around a slow corner, 30 mph, and the front wheels would "click" and instead of continuing to turn the car would then go straight. Center diff was toast.
ahh damn hope its not that
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:04 AM

are you loosing some kind of greasse or fluid?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:09 AM

Bad coilover ? could be...... I had that annoying noise before , in my car and It was some rubber parts inside the coilovers in other words blown coilover replace it and good as new. also try tightnen all bolts in your suspension area.I guess....
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
you broke the front diff in the t-case
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Yea my bad front diff not center.. edited my post.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
you broke the front diff in the t-case
how is this so.. any other symptons that can tell me this? how does this happen?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Same thing has happened to my car TWICE! it's the front differential for sure. You can get a spider gear differential from TRE for like $200.. Cheap part and if you know a mechanically inclined buddy it's very cheap repair and you'll be on your way. When this happened to me I thought it was my T-case as well and started saving for my $3,000 t-case repair but then I had a buddy look at it and diagnosed it as my Differential instead, boy was I happy. lol. BTW I wouldn't take it to Mitsu otherwise they'll probably tell you that your T-Case is shot just to get more money out of you.. I've seen it happen before. I'm not sure if they're stupid or just greedy.

It's kind of like when you go into to get brake pads on a car and they consistently tell you that you also need 4 new rotors..eventhough your rotors are damn near brand new. ::facepalm:: They're in business to make money I guess..

Last edited by whitepwr; Jul 9, 2010 at 01:02 PM.