Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problem someone please help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem someone please help!

There is a few different things I am noticing. The car is significantly slower than it should be. When I bounce off the two step(set at 6100rpms) it will do one of two things, only build 8psi ( ~ 13psi normally) or it will sound horrible and spike to 15 psi, which I believe is the engine building knock? BTW when it spikes like this the engine will die down to 500rpms and then smooth out a few seconds later. I do NOT bounce off the two step for more then 5 seconds ever.

I took it to the track and it ran about a whole second lower, as well as fell flat on its face every launch. ( The track is where I started to notice the problems. I am not beating it at all now that I know something's wrong) I normally can pull a 1.7 60', but I could only get a 1.9 best this day. I am assuming it's because I'm not building the right amount of boost so it falls on its face? I can tell when it bogs because of driver error, but this is different.

Another thing, during one pull, halfway through third I hear a LOUD pop and the car fell flat on it's face and tripped a CEL. ( was for o2 sensor and went away by itself.)

The car is no longer consistent on boost like it was. It won't hit max boost no matter what and most of the time it will be 2-3psi less then normal. The closest it got to hitting max boost was still .8psi lower then normal. My boost is set to 23.8 psi, so I could only achieve 23.0psi once.

Weird thing is the car idles fine and the turbo seems to spool normally and the car as a whole seems to run fine except when I go into WOT. When I floor it, it feels like it's stock. Regardless of the turbo hitting lower boost, I believe there is something else involved here. I also believe all of these problems are related to the same thing, but WHAT is the question. Here is what I have checked so far:

I did a boost leak test and only a tiny bit of air coming from the throttle body, so going to replace that gasket tomorrow. I did a compression test and it came back 150, 150, 150, 153 so everything there is fine. While I was there I went ahead and replaced the plugs. I cleaned my air filter and re-oiled it as well. I change my oil every 3k miles and never later. I checked all of my vaccum lines to see if there is anything that I can visually see, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I am stuck, please let me know if there is anything else I can check to try and determine the problem before I take it to a shop. If you need any more information about my car or the issues, just let me know. All my friends keep leaning toward the tune, but I refuse to believe this for two reasons. One, the tuner, CBRD, is extremely reputable and I'm inclined to believe they did an excellent job. Two, why would it start acting funny now when it's been fine for the past 6 months? Let me know what you guys think and thanks a ton in advance!

I feel so damn bad for my car...... I hope I didn't beat her too much or something! I try my best to take excellent care of it and it only has around 40k miles on it! I drive like an old lady everywhere I go and only race here and there.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 06:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
set everything to TDC and check your timing marks. You might have skipped a tooth or 2 on the cambelt.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by RSMike
set everything to TDC and check your timing marks. You might have skipped a tooth or 2 on the cambelt.
Not sure what TDC means?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
top dead centre.
So the crank wheel is on the timing mark. Once it's there, both your intake and exhaust cam have a small white mark on them, they should line up with the marks on the valve cover
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:56 PM

top dead centre.
So the crank wheel is on the timing mark. Once it's there, both your intake and exhaust cam have a small white mark on them, they should line up with the marks on the valve cover
Gotcha, thanks for the help! I will check it out.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would check the EGR lines on the underside of the manifold,

depending on which side it is, you could have one off and not know it

cb
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:10 PM

top dead centre.
I checked both marks and they line up the same on both sides. Here is a link to the pic as well to make sure I'm doing this correctly!
http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/a...rent=edgds.jpg
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by CBRD
I would check the EGR lines on the underside of the manifold,

depending on which side it is, you could have one off and not know it

cb
I checked all the lines on the back of the throttle body and followed them down. They are all connected. Here is a pic I used as reference to find them:
http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/a...3-EGR-1.jpg%26

I checked all the vacuum lines I can see as well, is there anything else I can look for?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:16 PM

Chad,
My buddy has the program to log a run, if I log one can I send you the data and have you review it to the tune you set? Maybe we could find something in there ? I have no idea. Let me know what it will cost and all that. Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by korpzjuggalo
Chad,
My buddy has the program to log a run, if I log one can I send you the data and have you review it to the tune you set? Maybe we could find something in there ? I have no idea. Let me know what it will cost and all that. Thanks.
ABSOLUTELY!

cb
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by CBRD
ABSOLUTELY!

cb
Awesome, I knew I could count on you! I will get the log hopefully this week and send you a pm and go from there.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm open for any and all suggestions/criticism.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
have you done a boost leak check yet? sounds like maybe a bad coupler (a hole in a coupler)
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
have you done a boost leak check yet? sounds like maybe a bad coupler (a hole in a coupler)
Yup, first thing I did. Leaking a TINY bit out of the throttle body, but nowhere else. Thanks for the help though!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the vacuum/boost line going to the fuel pressure regulator.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by C130flyer
check the vacuum/boost line going to the fuel pressure regulator.
Checked! Everything there is in order.... Uggghhhh what could it be.... Thanks for the help btw!

Quick Reply: Problem someone please help!