Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Build a motor or buy a built motor. 20, 2.3, 2.4. Engine builders please read

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
I'm really hating living paycheck to paycheck
I know the feeling man. Don't worry its just temporary Keep us updated!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks.

Finances wise its tough at times. Savings are basically non-existent right now and I'm really hating living paycheck to paycheck (Wife is full time in school and still looking for part time work). So whatever I do I may just wait until this time next year. Put some money in the bank and just relax.

I was going to start this in August but I think I may just get a used beater to drive around and stop driving my car everyday.
If the car is perfectly reliable, then drive it. If you don't want to spend money on a build right now, maybe you can locate a used motor you could swap in?

-Jalal
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
If the car is perfectly reliable, then drive it. If you don't want to spend money on a build right now, maybe you can locate a used motor you could swap in?

-Jalal
i agree! Cheapest way would be a used motor. If you did want some extra ponies you could remove the head and have it ported then install with new ARP head studs.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Well the motor has survived a piece of porcelin from a spark plug falling into the cylinder and haveing the wrong map loaded and getting really bad knock/dentonation at low RPM's. Right now my compression is:

90 | 115 | 125 | 125

So there is clearly something wrong with the #1 cylinder.....maybe number 2. But it runs fine, doesn't smoke, no oil in coolant and vice versa (had an oil change week before last). Oil consumption seems to be about the same as well as gas mileage (actually gas mileage on E85 is the best its ever been because I'm not driving hard most of the time).

So I figure that if I stop driving it everyday (I was planning on buying a used car next month anyways), I can make it to next year. I'd like to do this before summer next year (There are some other things I'd like to change/upgrade as well) so I'm thinking of doing it all at the same time.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Viciouslord
i agree! Cheapest way would be a used motor. If you did want some extra ponies you could remove the head and have it ported then install with new ARP head studs.
Buying someones used motor scares me.....might end up with someone else's problem you know......
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Buying someones used motor scares me.....might end up with someone else's problem you know......
Yeah i feel ya. Just do a compression test before you pay. Hook up the gauge and turn the crank manually.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

True. I never see used long blocks that don't need work come up for sale. Usually its the short block.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

True. I never see used long blocks that don't need work come up for sale. Usually its the short block.
I only know a few vendors that carry used long blocks and of course its dependent on supply, not everyone is gonna have used long blocks sitting around.

I would check with AWD. I was looking for a used long block a while ago and there were a few vendors that had some. You just gotta search around

If I hear of anything I'll post in this thread.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Or PM. Funny enough my wife who I would've thought would've wanted me to take the cheapest route was all for taking the car to one shop having the work done.....from the motor to the tuning.

AWD came to mind. Mike finally got back to me on PM so I'm going to call him and talk to him about doing everything because i know I still need to get tuned properly no matter what and I know that AWD puts out solid cars.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Or PM. Funny enough my wife who I would've thought would've wanted me to take the cheapest route was all for taking the car to one shop having the work done.....from the motor to the tuning.

AWD came to mind. Mike finally got back to me on PM so I'm going to call him and talk to him about doing everything because i know I still need to get tuned properly no matter what and I know that AWD puts out solid cars.
Well if you do end up coming to AWD, let me know. As of this sunday, AWD will be down the street from my place! PM me, first beer in on me.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

No doubt. Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would never buy a used block period. i still think you should pick up a 2.4 and then sell your parts your shorty oil pump etc like i did use that money to buy other parts like i did. i saved and bought all the expensive parts i could for one year then when i finally found a good shop jms they took my oem stuff apart and i sold that stuff to vendors and people to make money to buy parts for this build you should consider the same. i would not want to fool with that block you have just part ways with it and get a 2.4 as we talked about if your worried call me i might beable to provide some good options for you as far as a motor is concerned. i know people. DID you get mona today as promised??

Last edited by RockmanX; Jul 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

I know its hear but I had a server crash and it had the companies files on it so to say I have nbeen hammered is an understatement. Hardware failure. I'll probably be here overnight so I will go check the shipping area in a hour. I checked the tracking # and it says its here. I'm super excited right now.

Did you have TCC coat your's?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

I know its hear but I had a server crash and it had the companies files on it so to say I have nbeen hammered is an understatement. Hardware failure. I'll probably be here overnight so I will go check the shipping area in a hour. I checked the tracking # and it says its here. I'm super excited right now.

Did you have TCC coat your's?
post pics or it's not true!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Of the server crash or Mona.

A data room is kinda boring :P

Quick Reply: Build a motor or buy a built motor. 20, 2.3, 2.4. Engine builders please read