Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lots of noise after cam install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of noise after cam install

I just did a cam install and have tons of noise, sounds like marbels in the engine. Yes i bled the lifters and I had everything at TDC. Just sounds like valves are hitting!? Just curious if anyone has any ideas to what the sound might be, Im going back out to take it apart now but any suggestions would help.

Thanks Matt
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

What cams do you have and is your motor built...? You may not have enough piston to valve clearence...
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Hope it is not the case, but it could be a dropped valve because of improperly installed valve keepers. Good luck man
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I have Supertech Dual valve springs with valves and retainers. Stock lifters and rockers, I had the GSC S1 cams in it prior to installing new GSC S2 cams which are in right now. Engine is not build.

What needs to line up for it to be at TDC, I want to double check
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

well check the cam gears for tdc, and make sure the crank and oil pump are lined up as well.. could very well be ur a tooth or more off of any of those marks... also, when u bleed lifters it says u should hold rpms at like 3k or something for a few seconds, let it idle, then repeat... I personally have never bled lifters when doing a cam install
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

is the install on a IX? supertechs have very high seat pressure and anytime we remove a head or install cams on them they will do this unless the MIVEC gear is primed by hand before starting. turn the car off and take the valve cover off. get someone to watch the rockers/lifters on the intake side and someone turn the crank by hand. If the clicking continues then this is the problem
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
well check the cam gears for tdc, and make sure the crank and oil pump are lined up as well.. could very well be ur a tooth or more off of any of those marks... also, when u bleed lifters it says u should hold rpms at like 3k or something for a few seconds, let it idle, then repeat... I personally have never bled lifters when doing a cam install

Yeah I just need to know what to line up for it to be on TDC Im afraid it might be a tooth or 2 off, but want to double check. This is the second time installing cams and last time when I started it up everything was perfect, no noise and didnt have to hold at 3k and let idle. I will give this a try tho.

Originally Posted by Force-Fed Performance
is the install on a IX? supertechs have very high seat pressure and anytime we remove a head or install cams on them they will do this unless the MIVEC gear is primed by hand before starting. turn the car off and take the valve cover off. get someone to watch the rockers/lifters on the intake side and someone turn the crank by hand. If the clicking continues then this is the problem
Yes its the IX. How do you prime bc I didnt do this, and my dad said he thought the noise was coming from the cam gear area. I have taken the valve cover off and the plugs too, I was hand turning it over and there was no noise at all! So im not to sure why it was making noise unless it was the cam gear not being primed?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

after you bleed the lifters they are crazy loud until they fill back up with oil. if your at TDC, and the car runs fine, let it idle for a minute or two, rev it to 3k and hold for 45 seconds then let off. let it idle for a minute, then rev to 3k and hold for 45 seconds. keep repeating until lifters are pressurized and the ticking goes away.

the mivec gear will also be very loud, but it usually goes away in 3-5 seconds.

of course don't start the car unless you know for sure it is at TDC...
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

it should be clicking when you turn it by hand rather loudly. did you make sure to set the MIVEC cam gear fully retarded when it was at TDC, you know how you can move it a couple degrees? You must make sure it is turned all the way back and lined up. Leave the plugs in the car so u get good compression, go back and turn the crank again(Do not do it slow like lining up timing, turn it sort of quickly) and get someone to listen on the cam gear side and watch the rockers sometimes you can see them kick back up fast like their isnt enough oil pressure in the lifters yet/
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it should be clicking when you turn it by hand rather loudly. did you make sure to set the MIVEC cam gear fully retarded when it was at TDC, you know how you can move it a couple degrees? You must make sure it is turned all the way back and lined up. Leave the plugs in the car so u get good compression, go back and turn the crank again(Do not do it slow like lining up timing, turn it sort of quickly) and get someone to listen on the cam gear side and watch the rockers sometimes you can see them kick back up fast like their isnt enough oil pressure in the lifters yet/
Like he said man, oil pressure. the lifter are very noisey after they have been bleed plus the mivec cam gear can make a ton of racket. I just let mine idle for about 5 mins, then shut it off and when i started it again it got ten times better, then completely gone after I repeated that process. GL
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah i didn't want to have running with all that noise if there was something wrong so I shut it down. But how do i know its at TDC? It's been a while since last cam install and I don't remember
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor

take the top timing cover off and make the white marks on the cam gears line up with the lines on the valve cover. then take a flash light and look down behind the serp belt for the mark on the crank pulley to line up with the marks on the bottom timing cover. Do not be surprised if the bottom one is slightly off
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Well I found out what was making the noise. I had my dad turn the engine over and noticed that the MIVEC cam was turning the it looked liked it would jump/ turn real quick and then it would make the popping noise. Not to sure why its doing this, is it bc the lifters are not filled with oil causing it to do this? Also not 100 percent sure but does the MIVEC cam stop spinning while engine is turning, seems it would just never noticed before. Just dont want to keep installing everything then taking it back apart to do it all over again
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Yup, this is the prob i was describing to you. The cam gear advances timing when the car is running. A THE OTHER guys said, you can prolly let it run for a min for the cam gear to fill with oil. sometime we will get them where we have to pour oil on that side of the head and turn it by hand till the gear primes and stops clicking.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Yup, this is the prob i was describing to you. The cam gear advances timing when the car is running. A THE OTHER guys said, you can prolly let it run for a min for the cam gear to fill with oil. sometime we will get them where we have to pour oil on that side of the head and turn it by hand till the gear primes and stops clicking.
Awesome sounds good then, I go out side and give that a whirl and try to fix it Ill let you guys know what happens. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!!!

Quick Reply: Lots of noise after cam install