Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch restrictor, one way valve (check valve)??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 06:30 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
clutch restrictor, one way valve (check valve)??

Does the clutch hydraulic line restrictor only limit clutch engagement, or does it slow down clutch travel in boht directions?
Old Nov 19, 2003, 07:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since it is a restrictor that shrinks the size of the line that the fluid can flow through, a safe assumption would be that it affects it in both ways, since fluid had to go through the smaller size hole both ways.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 08:07 AM
OX
Evolving Member

But it has a spring, which leads me to think it may be some form of check valve. If it does also restrict release of the clutch (in addition to engagement), then I'd guess that may have a lot to do with mine and others 2nd gear grinding (grinds when not using superhuman concentration and not having dented firewall from making sure clutch is completely floored :-)). Less time for the clutch to disengage before the shift fork starts engaging synchros?? I've searched through all the clutch restrictor threads, but saw only limited mention of this.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The way it is designed is to allow free flow when you push the clutch in. The spring keeps it off the seat (used for release) so the fluid can free flow when you depress the clutch. When you release the pedal, the little plastic valve piece then seats against the housing and restricts the fluid flow back into the mastercylinder.
It does cause some minor restriction in flow when you depress the clutch just by it being in there but it is not the cause or fix for the notchy shifting.
Depending on what you believe, removal is one way to improve over all clutch feel. Properly adjusting the pedal height to the spec is also highly overlooked on the board. It also happens to be a ***** to do, accurately. And of course the line everyone talks about is a help, probably for the most part on depression and not release.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:40 AM
OX
Evolving Member

OK, thanks. I was hoping is was not restricting flow to the slave cyl., least that eliminates one possible problem.