Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evovin is back! (TurboTrix Racing)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL at the rubber freeze plug! : ) I did that to two of my freeze plugs on my old Evo block because the damn things kept blowing out. Machine shop used cheap oreillys brand freeze plugs on my block so they kept blowing out. Was really annoying to just be going down the road and then BAM, all my coolant is all over the road.

A few of the local guys who think they know more than they really do made fun of me for it but I never had an issue with them and since then I've noticed several more people who have done the very same thing without issues. Ingenuity FTW!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

BTW what kind of battery is that!?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Orange hi-temp silicone!!!!!??!?!! Are you effin kidding me!!!??!?!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lillev23
AMS didn't seem to have any problem shifting their car into the low 8s. Obviously you've never driven a properly adjusted Exedy clutch. Mine falls right into gear (racing and DD). Its the best clutch out there in my opinion. Very easy to drive and long lasting. The twin I had (before I got my triple) lasted me a year without failing (slipping or anything), and I bought it used with about 50% life left. I put about 15k on it before selling it (which is about the total life span of a QM twin on the street). Not an Exedy spokesperson or anything, but it really is one of the best clutches I've ever driven. I had a QM in my 2G and I hated it everyday I drove it on the street. Difficult to drive and too much noise.
I have an Exedy twin. I can also do basic math and physics. The moment of inertia of the 3 discs is more than of the (2) 7.25" QM discs. I win. The QM will shift better than the triple because the synchronizers don't have to decelerate as much mass.

F=MA

If the F is held constand and the A is maximized... then M must get smaller. Unless you're holding out on some carbon triple cone synchro's or have a dog box...LIKE AMS you're not going to get that triple to shift like a twin with regular old syncros available from SHEP, BUSCHUR, TRE, or TTR. I hope that explains it for you.

Do this... take a video of you shifting your triple at 9k on the 1-2 shift and do it in a hurry... I don't think you'll be able to do it right twice. Do it 15 times and you'll be in your gear box replacing synchros. I think the guys at TTR have a SOLID grasp on this. This is why you see people running Tilton Carbon twins. Carbon = lightweight... less weight...less moment of inertia. They're also a 7.25" clutch. Just so happens that the QM twin is much more affordable when compared to the Tilton...and rebuilds don't cost you a mortgage payment.

Last edited by R/TErnie; Jul 23, 2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

^^ werd.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nice.