Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buyers remorse.. need help with air filter/intake

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwalker
MBC, fuel pump, cams, and then tune. You'll be happy after the tune. It's literally like driving two different cars.
Fixed. You dont need new injectors if you are sticking with 93 octane and the stock turbo.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:57 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Fixed. You dont need new injectors if you are sticking with 93 octane and the stock turbo.
For that matter, he doesn't need a fuel pump on a IX, either, at least at this stage of the game. And cams for his car, when he can't even get it going with an intake? C'mon.

OP, please allow me to pay you the compliment of being frank. Stop bolting on parts and learn about the platform. Really. Take some time to understand what is is that you're trying to accomplish and how it relates to this car. There's years worth of information here. Strap yourself in and go at it. Your other choice is buying parts at will and getting little or no gains in return, save for a worse-running, less reliable car. Good luck.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get tuned. Once the intake is calibrated you can mod a little more without getting tuned right away. The problem is there are lean spots when you upgrade the intake specifically around 3k-5k rpm. After getting tuned you can add the rest of your exhaust, ic pipes, Ic. That will still run alright, but you probably need to get another tune soon too.

Next major tune would be Cams. So I would probably just tune it now and when you get cams.

In 03' though I kept the stock box and modded around the intake because I didn't want to tune the car either back then. Now I learned to do things in stages and each stage should end with a tune.

Just get your MBC, lower intercooler pipe and get tuned. You should put down something like 270whp @26psi...

Last edited by Bom's Evo; Jul 20, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

You dont need a tune at this point in the game, but honestly you will need a tune to get the most of of your mods. get a fuel pump (for safty) and an MBC and then get your tune. Riding around untuned on just an intake and exhaust is not going to mess the car up, you run pig rich from the factory, but honestly your seeing no gains for your mods. just get a few more small mods then go ahead and line up your tune asap.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostFTW05
You dont need a tune at this point in the game, but honestly you will need a tune to get the most of of your mods. get a fuel pump (for safty) and an MBC and then get your tune. Riding around untuned on just an intake and exhaust is not going to mess the car up, you run pig rich from the factory, but honestly your seeing no gains for your mods. just get a few more small mods then go ahead and line up your tune asap.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The untuned intake is making him run super lean bevause of the MAF not being scaled. He definitely needs a tune asap.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tommy_Lee

So basically which option should i do..

1) Return buschur air filter and get HKS intake+hallman MBC+Tune (Will be costly)
2) Return buschur air filter and get a K&N Drop in
3) Keep buschur air filter and get a tune
why not 4) keep buschur air filter, get an mbc, then get a tune? it's not going to be that much more costly, and you can get a hallman for about 75 bucks
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not invest in a tactrix cable and get an internet tune? Most go for 150-200. Might even find a deal considering your mods and performance level.

OR.... you could buy my lightly used Perrin filter and filter adapter that you could use with the stock intake pipe as I did. Ran just fine. PM me if interested.

By the way, skip the k&n drop in. Waste of time but I have a lightly used one of those too if you want it!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Start with an MBC

Then - as you have funds.

1. Full intake
2. LICP
3. Exhaust
4. UICP
5. Ported Throttle body/Intake manifold
6. Fuel pump

FMIC, turbo, injectors, etc etc etc

Stop where you want - and get it tuned. Lots of people are happy with just intake, licp, mbc, and maybe just an exhaust. Your 300+ easy.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xRoguex
Start with an MBC

Then - as you have funds.

1. Full intake
2. LICP
3. Exhaust
4. UICP
5. Ported Throttle body/Intake manifold
6. Fuel pump

FMIC, turbo, injectors, etc etc etc

Stop where you want - and get it tuned. Lots of people are happy with just intake, licp, mbc, and maybe just an exhaust. Your 300+ easy.
Thanks for all the advice guys so... heres an update what im doing now.

1) decided to keep the buschurs and upgrade to buschurs intake system.
2) buying a BLOX Manual Boost Controller
3) Getting a tune

So after all this this my mod list will be

- Greddy Comp Ti-C
- Buschurs Full intake system
- BLOX Manual Boost Controller
- Tune by whoever

I couldnt find a good licp for my car... if anyone has suggestions that would be great... also ive noticed people have AMS or ARC on their lower grill what mod is that? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

a cone filter is a cone filter if u ask me. i suggest u do something else to the car before u get it tunes right away. i made that mistake and got cams about 2 weeks after my tune and had to get retuned so thats another 200 down the drain
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sktng22
a cone filter is a cone filter if u ask me. i suggest u do something else to the car before u get it tunes right away. i made that mistake and got cams about 2 weeks after my tune and had to get retuned so thats another 200 down the drain
yep i already knew i was going to keep modding it so i wanted to wait till all the mods i want go on the car before i tune it.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tommy_Lee
I couldnt find a good licp for my car... if anyone has suggestions that would be great... also ive noticed people have AMS or ARC on their lower grill what mod is that? Thanks in advance.
I'm guessing thats the stencil on the replacement FMIC? ETS makes a nice LICP but really I don't think any of the vendors here offer "bad" ones

I run the ETS pipes, they fit very well. LICP will help the car quite a bit.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:25 PM

yeah im also assuming you are talking about the AMC and ARC upgrade FMIC
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Read the modding for dummies thread. Put back on your stock air box and wait to put it back on when you get more parts assembled. Learn all you can before you throw a random part on your car.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The untuned intake is making him run super lean bevause of the MAF not being scaled. He definitely needs a tune asap.

whatever you say cheif.

Quick Reply: Buyers remorse.. need help with air filter/intake