Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buyers remorse.. need help with air filter/intake

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010 | 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoostFTW05
whatever you say cheif.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the maf on our cars like a cone filter without a tune. Well that and bov's that aren't recirculated
Old Jul 20, 2010 | 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

My .02 cents.

An intake is an intake, they are all very very similar. After doing a lot of research I went with an AMSOIL eaau 4560 filter with a vibrant adapter and a dejon's tool intake. That filter is great flowing and it cleans really really well. Keep the BR, get what ever pipe you want but don't waste your money twice by getting the HKS because it looks cool, or whatever reason.

To run without a tune isn't bad but you should really tune it. From the factory they run pig rich, low 10's AFR based on my AEM WB 02. An intake isn't going to make you run lean. Buy the boost controller, get a tune or wait a little while and buy all the parts and get the tune
after that.

Don't waste your time or money more than you need to.
Old Jul 20, 2010 | 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

jasnm21, Thank you! you run rich from the factory and having an intake will not hurt the car but its not going to add to performance either. save and get a few more mods then put them on and take it to get it tuned. he dont need to switch back to the factory intake box either. simple, if your hitting fuel cut take it to get it tuned or just dont drive it hard or switch back to the factory box. unless he is hitting that stock preset limit he should not be worried cause the stock fuel cut is preset really low, he will hit that way before he runs lean enough to pop somthing.

Last edited by BoostFTW05; Jul 20, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010 | 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The untuned intake is making him run super lean bevause of the MAF not being scaled. He definitely needs a tune asap.

Sorry but I disagree.

Think about it like this, from factory they run pig rich, an intake at the same boost levels isn't going to lean him out above 11.8 without more boost. I have personally tested this on a few local evo's and my own evo with minor mods. The AFR were never over even 11.0 let alone anything to cause damage.
Old Jul 20, 2010 | 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mnauelg1702
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the maf on our cars like a cone filter without a tune. Well that and bov's that aren't recirculated
Where did you get this information from? I ran a POS injen intake and ic piping kit for a month or so before tuning it and I never once had a single problem... I then sold it to my friend and it didn't have a problem also but then I finally tuned his car. I know that the VTA BOV, our cars actually have a BPV not BOV, can cause minor problems but I have never once ran into a problem with just a filter. That makes me smile...
Old Jul 20, 2010 | 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mnauelg1702

wow If i took my car to get tuned for every little thing that I did it would be ridiclious. im installing springs this weekend should I get tuned for them also? im not sure my MAF will be able to understand my lower ride height. (if I was even running one).

Last edited by BoostFTW05; Jul 20, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2010 | 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tommy_Lee
Thanks for all the advice guys so... heres an update what im doing now.

1) decided to keep the buschurs and upgrade to buschurs intake system.
2) buying a BLOX Manual Boost Controller
3) Getting a tune

So after all this this my mod list will be

- Greddy Comp Ti-C
- Buschurs Full intake system
- BLOX Manual Boost Controller
- Tune by whoever

I couldnt find a good licp for my car... if anyone has suggestions that would be great... also ive noticed people have AMS or ARC on their lower grill what mod is that? Thanks in advance.
Ok, I think you shouldn't go "cheap" and get a real good MBC, the 2 I would suggest are the Hallman Pro/RX or the Buschur Inline. They are a little more expensive but they work great. Again, don't buy a cheaper part trying to save a buck or two.

The best part about the Hallman Pro/RX is if you save a little money you can buy that add on that gives you the ability to change the boost inside of the cabin. Mellontuning.com sells them both and he is the one I would get tuned by also.
Old Jul 21, 2010 | 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

The perrin filter and intake system is still available. Learn to tune your own car, the time spent learning is well worth it.
Old Jul 21, 2010 | 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Before you do anything, why are people recommending a MBC? Why not get a GM 3 port boost solenoid which will probably be the same cost if not cheaper. It doesn't look aftermarket, and it will be the last solenoid you need. You will be able to run any psi (WGDC) needed, and can fine tune every aspect of your boost plot. Any tuner you go with will be able to tune for the GM 3 port as it the most common boost solenoid.

-Will

edit-

You don't need a tune after a filter is added.

Last edited by Mautofied.IS300; Jul 21, 2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2010 | 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mautofied.IS300
Before you do anything, why are people recommending a MBC? Why not get a GM 3 port boost solenoid which will probably be the same cost if not cheaper. It doesn't look aftermarket, and it will be the last solenoid you need. You will be able to run any psi (WGDC) needed, and can fine tune every aspect of your boost plot. Any tuner you go with will be able to tune for the GM 3 port as it the most common boost solenoid.

-Will
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ly-debate.html

Here you go... This is a good debate and conversation. I will probably go ECU controlled boost with a OMNI 4bar because I plan on going big. The OP doesn't sound like he is going to do much more than basic bolt ons and isn't too familiar with the Evo or ECU.

So why in the world would you suggest him go with ECU controlled boost when a MBC will take 10 minutes to set up and a couple of pulls to get the right boost? It will take him hours just to set up the ECU controlled boost and get it done right. I bet he doesn't even have a tactix 1.3u or 2.0 cable or Ecuflash or Evoscan on his computer. A MBC is the quickest and easiest way to go for him... Just because it works for you doesn't mean Ecu controlled boost is for everyone.

And about the tune after the filter.... Thanks for someone else that has actually tuned a car to state that you don't need one. +1

Last edited by jasnm21; Jul 21, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2010 | 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

-Will

edit-

You don't need a tune after a filter is added.
lots of tuners hate ebc. namely, BR, mellon, etc

Last edited by xRoguex; Jul 21, 2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2010 | 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xRoguex
lots of tuners hate mbc. namely, BR, mellon, etc
Don't you mean EBC or ecu controlled boost?
Old Jul 21, 2010 | 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jasnm21
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ly-debate.html

Here you go... This is a good debate and conversation. I will probably go ECU controlled boost with a OMNI 4bar because I plan on going big. The OP doesn't sound like he is going to do much more than basic bolt ons and isn't too familiar with the Evo or ECU.

So why in the world would you suggest him go with ECU controlled boost when a MBC will take 10 minutes to set up and a couple of pulls to get the right boost? It will take him hours just to set up the ECU controlled boost and get it done right. I bet he doesn't even have a tactix 1.3u or 2.0 cable or Ecuflash or Evoscan on his computer. A MBC is the quickest and easiest way to go for him... Just because it works for you doesn't mean Ecu controlled boost is for everyone.

And about the tune after the filter.... Thanks for someone else that has actually tuned a car to state that you don't need one. +1
"Why in the world" will he need to have a tactrix cable and tuning knowledge to set up a GM 3 port? That is what getting a tune is for.

If he runs a GM 3 port he wont have to set a high spike like most MBC users must do in order to hold a decent amount of boost at redline.

-Will
Old Jul 21, 2010 | 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

"Why in the world" will he need to have a tactrix cable and tuning knowledge to set up a GM 3 port? That is what getting a tune is for.

If he runs a GM 3 port he wont have to set a high spike like most MBC users must do in order to hold a decent amount of boost at redline.

-Will
I understand why you use a 3 port but you also run out of the turbo efficiency range with 31 psi at 7k with a stock turbo. It is just blowing hot air.

If he went with a 3 bar, sure it would be cheaper at first, then he would have to PAY someone to install it, set it up and then tune it. A MBC you just unplug the t connection, cap solenoid, and hook up the new MBC and mount it. Simple, quick and effective...
Old Jul 21, 2010 | 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jasnm21
I understand why you use a 3 port but you also run out of the turbo efficiency range with 31 psi at 7k with a stock turbo. It is just blowing hot air.

If he went with a 3 bar, sure it would be cheaper at first, then he would have to PAY someone to install it, set it up and then tune it. A MBC you just unplug the t connection, cap solenoid, and hook up the new MBC and mount it. Simple, quick and effective...
Tuning WGDC is included with a tune, if not get a different tuner. To install it will take 15 minutes.

Who says he has an accurate way to measure boost (map sensor) to ensure he tunes his MBC properly as well?

What the OP should do is call whoever is going to tune his car from now on and get their opinion, and follow it. If they want MBC go with it, if they want a GM 3 port go with it.

-Will

Quick Reply: Buyers remorse.. need help with air filter/intake