Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buyers remorse.. need help with air filter/intake

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyers remorse.. need help with air filter/intake

So I recently bought a Buschur racing air filter kit... and ive been getting spikes when i drive so i know i have to get a tune but heres the situation i dont want to tune my car just because of a air filter kit so i was thinking of returning it and get this http://www.maperformance.com/hks-racing-suction-reloaded-kit-evo.html

its a hks full intake system.. so after that intake i was going to get a hallman MBC and get a tune.

also i just dont like the overall feel of the car since the BR air filter kit....

I was either thinking that or return the buschur racing air filter, get a k&n drop in and dont have to deal with a tune and save a lot of money...

before anyone asks what im trying to get out of this car, i just wanted basic bolt ons and moderate gains. Not trying to make a track monster or anything haha..

heres how my car sounds with Greddy Comp TiC and Buschur air filter right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_WlEh6NAYI

So basically which option should i do..

1) Return buschur air filter and get HKS intake+hallman MBC+Tune (Will be costly)
2) Return buschur air filter and get a K&N Drop in
3) Keep buschur air filter and get a tune

Last edited by Tommy_Lee; Jul 19, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perrin.

/thread
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
? dont you have to get a tune period if you're gonna change something like the intake
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

i couldnt find perrin intake anywhere, its discontinued...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:57 PM

get the tune but after you get the boost controller and the intake you got it for a reason you like the look or something about it or you wouldnt have gotten it.but keep in mind that you alread have a sour taste from this prodouct and you might be better switchin to the hks. you will make the right choice just let us know what happens either way
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BR > than HKS .

The perrin isn't discontinued its on their site.

Most filter kits (aside from the HKS which I don't like) are going to be fairly similar.....there are only so many ways to build a tube to connect your air filter to your turbo. Granted of course there are small differences in shape, size, and material.

I just seriously doubt your car will behave any differently with another air filter, and in the case of the HKS will probably fare worse...........although I supposed thats unfair the HKS, it performs, just filters like crap.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
if you dont want to get your car tuned, you should prob stop modding it.

as for the hks

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ction-k-n.html
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

^ I rest my case, the best thing to do with hks filters is to give them as gifts to people you don't like.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

its not that i dont want to get a tune its just that i want to make sure i know what i want before i get a tune cuz after i get a tune thats probably it for me with mods.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

You will probably not be happy (nor will your motor) with almost any mod until you get a tune. Yes it is better to buy the parts, install, then get tuned. However, with most mods you can get driveability issues or even cause engine damage if your not tuned for them.

Of course your intake seems like crap, your car isn't running right.

Buschur Racing runs some very fast cars, their parts are no bull, and they tend to be good quality and among the best performing you can get. Just rock it, the BR filter is fine, spend your time and money on something else.

EDIT: In the future check out some local cars and see what they are running so you can see it in person at least, or better yet talk to your tuner and get his opinion. Sometimes its not about whats best but what your tuner can get the most out of in terms of performance.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Hks filters don't filter very well. Perrin and buschur racing intakes are are a great choice, tough it out and get the tune after the boost controller, it will definitely be worth it!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

how come everyone else i see has a red cone filter from BR but i got a silver/black one lol
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do yourself a favor and stay with the Buschur intake, do not waste your money on the HKS... you think you have problems with your current intake, then you definitely do not want the HKS!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

canceling my order on the HKS... i guess ill keep the filter but not sure what to do next..

MBC? Upgrade to full intake? Then tune?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MBC, fuel pump, injectors, and then tune. You'll be happy after the tune. It's literally like driving two different cars.

Quick Reply: Buyers remorse.. need help with air filter/intake