Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

excessive oil on BOV and TB

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excessive oil on BOV and TB

I have a LOT of oil spitting out from my BOV and its messing up my engine bay . I thought that it was BLOW-BY before so I went and made a catch-can(out of a filter) and plugged the nipple it used to connect to the intake pipe. After driving it with this setup for a while I noticed that the catch-can(filter) was almost dry! But I was still getting oil on my BOV and on the TB. What could this be? I know this has been discussed before but I saw no closure to the threads...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:47 PM

I bet you still have oil in your intercooler, and it is getting pushed thru the intercooler and out the BOV as you get the flow rate up during WOT and upper RPM operation. Maybe clean out the intercooler and see if you get much oil out of it?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your PCV valve. I had a similar problem. Whenever I would let off the throttle from WOT I would get a white cloud of smoke from the exhaust. The PCV valve was getting suck causing crank pressure to be ventilated through the oil return line on the turbo. Once the inlet side pressure vented the pressure from the crank would vent through the inlet side pushing oil from turbo housing into the inlet side.

I was getting oil every where on the inlet side. TB, BOV and Intake.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by mithrandir7533
Check your PCV valve. I had a similar problem. Whenever I would let off the throttle from WOT I would get a white cloud of smoke from the exhaust. The PCV valve was getting suck causing crank pressure to be ventilated through the oil return line on the turbo. Once the inlet side pressure vented the pressure from the crank would vent through the inlet side pushing oil from turbo housing into the inlet side.

I was getting oil every where on the inlet side. TB, BOV and Intake.
Yes bro I checked the PCV valve and it was "A-OK" I even cleaned it while it was out, so I can rule that option off. Well now that this problem started I'm guessing the intercooler is probably full of oil, I'm going to have it cleaned when I find the source of the problem. I'm thinking of the seals in the turbo, they might be shot. I am taking the turbo out this weekend to check it for excessive "play" on the shafts. I will let you know how it all goes down
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

Bringin this back up... Any solution? I'm facing the same issue.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

Blown turbo leaking oil?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:21 AM

yep, mine was the turbo seals leaking. I changed the turbo and problem solved after a while (because I didn't clean out my intercooler as planned)...