Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Annoying tick

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 05:17 AM
ddb
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry i haven't given any news but i found out that my valve cover was cracked and oil is now leaking so i'm waiting for my new one. I'll give you news soon.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:30 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

OK here the news, i tried to listen from where the sound is coming, but can't determine for sure where it is.
Noise is strong on the intake manifold and when i removed my timing belt cover it was strong there too.
So maybe a tensionner is getting loose and would resonated on the intake manifold???
Also tried an engine wash for rocker lifter and valves and changed my oil.
Sound is still there.I checked my timing and everything is ok.
I'm trying get an appointement to determine exactly where the sound is coming and correct it meanwhile anybody has an idea?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:48 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Another thing i forgot to say, it doesn't do it when it is cold only after warm up and at about 2300 rpm it start and get stronger.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

It is coming for the valvetrain, intake side, according to my mecanic who checked it is probably retainers springs so i guess i'll need to check further that way. But has he said it could be my cam but they are unknown so they seemed fine but who knows...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

from reading all this i still believe you didnt blead your lifters right from the beginning .also did you allow them to settle for a while first. this is recommended when you buy them
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:21 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djikonatx
from reading all this i still believe you didnt blead your lifters right from the beginning .also did you allow them to settle for a while first. this is recommended when you buy them
True i didn't blead them as it was told by JAM instruction:

Our JAM Spec-3mm Big Bore Lifters are better then before! Just drop them in-no more bleeding them down, we have taken care of that for you! Made even stronger, long lasting and more durable! Designed for all Mitsubishi 2.0 4g63 DOHC engines.

But what do you mean by let them settle?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 05:58 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Noise wasn't coming from the head after all it was a piston flap on cylinder 2..... now i got to take out the engine and have it checked.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

yeh my guess would have been something in your short block i honestly dont think ticking should go along with revs and what not i mean ive never seen it like that personally. but GL hope all is well
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:43 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Ok next week-end i take out the engine completely and i'll have it rebuilt in a local shop that has quite a reputation. But the good news is that i found out that my engine was a stroker 2.3 from JAM(thanks to vin) because it is not the same engine as the chassis. Now it will be checked all over maybe some goodies will find there way on it ( maybe porting,upraged valve,i have a set Bryan Crower spring valve)Depending on what we find when we open it up.
I'll also have the tranny and transfer case checked while at it.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Any update on this new motor? Does the new setup tick also? I'm having a ticking issue also but 99% sure its a lifter and just not fully pumping up or something but curious what you found with the bottom end also.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:27 PM
ddb
Evolving Member

Sorry haven't given any updated. Yes sometimes i hear the lifters ticking even if they are JAM non-ticking lifter i can hear them. It was caused by a bad rod bearing in fact.
But it allowed me to see that the head gasket was begginning to leak so the engine has been completely rebuilt new bearing. ARP stud, Gates timing belt removed balancers, Brian crower Spring and titanium retainers. New clutch...

Do you have any knock? or is it just noisy?