Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

6 speed trannies can use mobile-1 5w30???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep reading about ls1 6mt's using other weird oils. They all say the same thing, "switched back to DexIII non synthetic and everything is better..."
Besides, what does a T56 have anything to do with your MR 6mt?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no. gear oil and motor oil is completely different. different wear protectors and ingredients. if you put the gear oil in the engine, the engine will fail to pump the oil for a long time because it's too thick, until it reaches temperature. theres different classifications of gl4. if you put the lighter motor oil in the trans and such, the oil is too thin to help with tolerances and hydraulicaly, it's different. so while both may be gl4, both are different. or i might be wrong
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
I am subscribed, to see what hapens with the tranny, i would also pay for the oil analysis reports because i know whats going to hapen in the long run
Yup I also know the results!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
..this thread is a joke right?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt do it. The site claims its very close between the two, but where is the proof? Even so, its not exactly close enough chemically where I would want to try it as a substitute. Its sort of like how humans are genetically really close to monkeys. Do you consider yourself a monkey?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

I assume you are just looking for a cheaper alternative than the Diaqueen fluid and that's why your asking, so, try searching the net. IIRC there is a tranny shop that sells it from bulk55 gal drums and it's fairly cheap per quart. You don't get the fancy can, but you get the same fluid. I ordered some about a month ago.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xRoguex
..this thread is a joke right?
I don't even know even more...I was just looking at random Gl4 75w85w trans lubes online the other day and I stumbled along a thread about Mobile 1 (which is a very similar weight) and now I'm neck deep in all sorts of tech specs about how a gl4 is considered a notch better than a gl5 even though the gl(which means gear lube by the way)5 supposedly has some "gear slap" resistant additive. I've come across many different transmissions which use the same fluid, from dodge vipers, to a 1990 Mercedes race car to plenty of mopar cars and etc etc. The dodge guys are just starting to tinker with mobil 1 in the trans, the Ls1 boys do indeed run everything thats yellow cheap and slick in theirs, the viper guys swear by royal purple, the mopar guys want to know what we use, the vw guys are using gl5 fluids because they think that a yellow metal friendly fluid is old fashioned since the fluid is really only there for the synchros and they aren't made out of brass....I am either going to have to go back to stocking up on diaqueen, or I'll be able to just go to walmart.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks to bob the oil guy for the chart. Still digging.

Last edited by Sinbig; Aug 2, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

stock with the mopar (castrol syntorq/gm manual fluid) fully synthetic, 75w-85, and works like a champ.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

That's what I've been using. Can only find mopar 75w85w trans lube locally.