Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

6 speed trannies can use mobile-1 5w30???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speed trannies can use mobile-1 5w30???

http://www.allpar.com/fix/gear-oil.html

I've used the mopar 75w-85 trans lube before and was trying to look for an online retailer and stumbled across this link?? I dunno if I have the guts to try it but it says that mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic high mileage engine oil is almost exactly the same as the mopar fluid and can be substituted since it's gl4 like in how it's safe to use with yellow metals.

Last edited by Sinbig; Aug 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Naw, don't do this. Lots of peeps will be coming on here to say No, No, No. Naughty, naughty!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

I know they will, it's always amsoil or mt 90 which I don't really care for. I either use oem, or exact equivalent. 75w85w gl4, which the mopar is at half the price. Now if this oil which is a gf4 and self proclaimed yellow metal safe synthetic is almost identical in weight, that's like a fifth if the cost of oem drag queen....imagine the savings on someone using the new 6 speed sheep trans who drags/autocrosses....nothing wrong with saving money.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

I was reading some pretty well informed discussions about motor oils and the subject of 5W-30 Mobil1 came up with respect to the 30W oil not being that great at higher engine temps. The 0W-40 and the 5W-40 were prefered.

Now you'd be sailing in unchartered waters sticking 5W-30 motor oil in your manual tranny. Gear oil has to be able to withstand incredibly high shear forces.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have to assume the friction on the gears with one of those turbo diesel trucks towing a load would far surpass our temps and there the ones trying it...I just can't find any more sites with people trying it out, I'm hoping to read of a viper or ls1 trying it out as that's how I heard of the mopar trans lube.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't just go and use motor oil in my Evo's tranny just because one guy with a Honcho P/U said so. Consult directly with an expert. Call Shep and ask him. Consult with the AMSOIL reps on this forum. PM a guy over on LancerRegister called The Oilman.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

I might just get a tranny temp gauge and log some temps. Call someone at mobil and make sure their oil is a gl4 equivalent and give it a shot monitoring temp. Whats the worst that could happen?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Hey, why stop at the transmission, try it in the transfer case and rear differential too. My mind reels at the convenience of going to Walmart for all my lubrication needs and bringing it all home in one jug.

Disclaimer: Use of lubricants that do not SPECIFICALLY meet that of the manufacturer's specified lubricant may void the vehicle's warranty. Use of non-OEM recommended lubricants (or lubricants which are not guaranteed to meet or exceed OEM lubricants for the specified use) is at the risk and liability of the vehicle's owner and not me. Use of the Mobil 1 product for this purpose constitutes acceptance of this disclaimer.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Hey, why stop at the transmission, try it in the transfer case and rear differential too. My mind reels at the convenience of going to Walmart for all my lubrication needs and bringing it all home in one jug.

Disclaimer: Use of lubricants that do not SPECIFICALLY meet that of the manufacturer's specified lubricant may void the vehicle's warranty. Use of non-OEM recommended lubricants (or lubricants which are not guaranteed to meet or exceed OEM lubricants for the specified use) is at the risk and liability of the vehicle's owner and not me. Use of the Mobil 1 product for this purpose constitutes acceptance of this disclaimer.
I'm sure any transmission or transfer case filled with anything other than oem Or exact equivalent voids the warranty, including any red line, amsoil, bg, penzoil, etc alternative. The t case has been well documented as not working well with other fluids other than oem but plenty people use a transmission alternative. There isn't one standard tbe, there's a variety in pricing and yes alot of people choose to run the cheapest (eBay) brand. If you have a six speed you know the problem of obtaining an exact oem equivelant and I'm sure people have needed a tranny fluid in a pinch. Unless you have any specific knowledge that it won't work then why would you comment? Because you've never tried it?

Last edited by Sinbig; Aug 2, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, lets say I tried M1, left it in for the recommended drain interval and nothing bad happened. What does that prove? Most parts are designed to last the life of the vehicle – say 200,000 miles. Okay, some parts fail before this due to bad design, bad workmanship or road hazard but that is the ideal. So, showing that this alternative lubricant will last 30K in the total scheme of things means nothing.

So, say I drove the entire 200K with no bad result? Is anyone interested in waiting around for this test data?

Or, the alternative, suppose I drove on this lubricant for 30K and the transmission failed. What does that prove? Maybe the transmission would have failed anyway.

The point is, unless you have the capability of doing big time testing it is all conjecture.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

You can do it! 5w-30 and 75w-85 are exactly the same! It will work perfectly! This is brilliant!
No, wait. I'm wrong. Don't do it. They're not the same. It's not a good idea. But think of the money you'd save! It can't be that bad! They'll do the warrenty work and never know! Ah ah ah, they'd know. The gear set will overheat as the temps rise and they'll shatter. No they won't! They'll be fine.

This is the summary of the thread should it continue much longer.
OP, please post your results should you choose to go ahead with this idea.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Will do.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 01:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vicksen
You can do it! 5w-30 and 75w-85 are exactly the same! It will work perfectly! This is brilliant!
No, wait. I'm wrong. Don't do it. They're not the same. It's not a good idea. But think of the money you'd save! It can't be that bad! They'll do the warrenty work and never know! Ah ah ah, they'd know. The gear set will overheat as the temps rise and they'll shatter. No they won't! They'll be fine.

This is the summary of the thread should it continue much longer.
OP, please post your results should you choose to go ahead with this idea.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 01:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am subscribed, to see what hapens with the tranny, i would also pay for the oil analysis reports because i know whats going to hapen in the long run
Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Nah no need, I'm ordering a temp gauge for the tranny and I'm gonna watch temps on it in different load scenarios first. Then I have to do alot of reading first before I'm even going to run the fluid in it, trust me I'm always eager to prove I'm right about something but I'm also not about to **** in my tranny to prove I can. I found a site where alot of LS1 boys are trying it out and they seem to use alot of the same fluids. Someone mentioned expansions of fluids and I wanna make sure the two fluids will act the same too, I dunno maybe a beaker setup with both fluids heated to a certain temp and the levels measured....if mobil 1 does indeed say they are yellow metal friendly I will feel alot Better about putting it my tranny (with my eye on the temp gauge) and go from there. I just don't see how a gear grinding at 7000 rpms and a piston moving at the same speed could differ so greatly in oil breakdown. As long as tranny operating temps average about 200 deg Fahrenheit, I'll keep moving ahead with this probably really stupid waste of my time project.