Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch pedal vibration and popping issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch pedal vibration and popping issue

Anyone know why...(before we go any further I have called and talked to CC about the pop and gone to a mitsu dealer, and they arn't sure)

1.) right before the clutch pedal is fully engaged (pedal up) there is a pop felt through the clutch pedal (and slightly audible if listening hard), and then a pop at the bottom of the release(pedal down)

and

2.) clutch pedal starts to vibrate slightly for no apparent reason when revs are above 5k

I have around 5k on this cc stage 4 clutch and the poping thing started around 1k ago, and the vibration started tonight. TB is an OEM unit and it has about 8k on it (reused it after my last clutch died after 3k...long story, not my fault pp alignment dowels machined wrong (exedy stage 2) ). I've been taking it easy on this thing as I've spent a TON of money fixing crap this year. Trans is also relatively new to me (about 25k total on it), but I do know the felt washer on the TB fork are not on between the springs and the fork, but I dont think that would cause a huge issue would it? I'm paranoid at this point and tired of worrying about this damn car...any ideas?

Last edited by paintballer419; Aug 2, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:48 PM

Buddy of mine thinks it may have to do with the pressure plate...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
When I first installed my CCI stage 3 clutch it would vibrate violently full time. Turns out the throwout bearing went in the C clip crooked. So my friend and I used a screw driver in a prying motion to adjust it as we slowly turned the crank. No popping noise, or at least i didnt notice from the really loud vibrating pedal. The noise would be gone when I pressed in the clutch (release), but when fully raised (engaged) it would vibrate.

Maybe you have a similar issue. Just not as severe miss alignment as mine was.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:16 PM

Gotcha. The vibration happened randomly while driving, but it is possible that the bearing was never fully clipped in to begin with. I was thinking maybe the bearing was binding on the input shaft, but your explanation is very plausible also. I guess there is really no way to tell unless the trans is pulled.