Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shepherd Transmission for Evo 03-06 MR 6 Speed (Sheptrans 6spd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I just got the new 6 speed with upgraded gears from Shep a few weeks ago, and Trevor told me they just use the existing fill and drain holes.
Well, I wondered where I got my information, and found it in the first post:

Shep has told me that he will most likely (if not, definitely by request) weld bungs onto the transmission for an in and out for lines for an oil cooler (for those of you who plan to put an oil cooler on this transmission) he will also recommend a pump and what not.
So, I am guessing this is something I need to request.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
FYI, I requested it, but Trevor said they just recommend that you use the existing fill and drain holes. Don't know why they seem to have changed their tune, but that's what I was told.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by fireroasted
He would likely say the only reason Tilton is telling you that, is because their pump will fail with the oil temps coming in.
agree on this.. I'd rather use a gear pump but bought the tilton one as it was affordable..

Originally Posted by fireroasted
I would say the real compromise for the pump addition isn't added weight, though mine is heavy, its the risk of additional connections and points of failure with oil leaking out. That is the real trade off and require diligent maintenance to mitigate that risk. Its not a install it and forget it kind of thing.
yes, but in case of the gearbox cooler, you do not have much pressure in the system so there is less chance of oil dripping out.. Of course, if you hit something you can rip out the line, but you have the same chance with the engine oil cooler on the other side of the car..
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow....soooooooooooooooooo pissed about this. I called Shep a few months ago about an upgraded 6 speed and I was told they were not going to be doing anything more with the 6 speed, and the upgraded gear set was a one time thing. I went with a TRE 6 speed because it was the only option other than building a 5 speed, and now they are doing these built 6 speeds again.................

My motor just had a ring land break, and is down for a rebuild that will be able to hold 600whp, but my transmission at most will handle 450whp. Awesome.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ODUB
wow....soooooooooooooooooo pissed about this. I called Shep a few months ago about an upgraded 6 speed and I was told they were not going to be doing anything more with the 6 speed, and the upgraded gear set was a one time thing. I went with a TRE 6 speed because it was the only option other than building a 5 speed, and now they are doing these built 6 speeds again.................

My motor just had a ring land break, and is down for a rebuild that will be able to hold 600whp, but my transmission at most will handle 450whp. Awesome.
Pretty sure they're not doing them at the moment. I got the last set of gears, which they had found in a storage shed a week before I called.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
They are not doing them "At the moment" I talked to John last week and he was shocked as anyone that the manufacturer is now going to do another 30 sets for him which are in process now.

When asked for a timeframe and price, he didn't want to quote anything as last set he took a bath on due to the swing in the AUD.

Sorry Erik.... You're no longer special with the last set LOL Just the last set of that run :-)
Old Jan 26, 2014, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait for pricing on this! Hopefully it will be cheaper than buying a 5 speed, sending the 5 speed to shep for a build and buying the cables and mounts
Old Jan 26, 2014, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Also getting the sensors
Old Jan 27, 2014, 08:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hatesposers
Sorry Erik.... You're no longer special with the last set LOL Just the last set of that run :-)
I shall always have the LAST set of gears from the first run, and there's nothing you can do about that
Old Jan 28, 2014, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Man I need one of these.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking forward to getting mines built too...hopefully we'll hear something soon...
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Time Frame

I have an MR making 560whp, need to get one of these to handle the TQ-450, any time frame on the new gear sets so Shep can do another go around on the built 6 speeds?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking forward to this upgrade as well. I missed out in the first batch. Sounds like there is hope for me. Hopefully john will chime in this thread to let us know of the timeline.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Time Frame

Can anyone chime in and let me know how long my car would be down while the trans is being built,once the gear sets come in? Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

any updates if he got the gears?

Quick Reply: Shepherd Transmission for Evo 03-06 MR 6 Speed (Sheptrans 6spd)