Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

eBay FMIC vs. Buschur Racing Street FMIC: Install, Pics, Initial Findings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eBay FMIC vs. Buschur Racing Street FMIC: Install, Pics, Initial Findings

I just finished up replacing an eBay FMIC with a Buschur Racing Street core and thought I would share my experience.

eBay FMIC (thanks for the pic, Matt ):

In this pic you can somewhat see how much more dense the fins are on the BR Street:

Here are some more comparison shots:

Initial fitting of the BR Street:

Finished product. Sorry for the cell phone pic, camera battery died:

Visually, the BR is larger than it's eBay counterpart. Also, the fins are much more dense on the BR Street. The construction of the BR is noticeably better, too.

The eBay FMIC bolted up to the car nicely. There were really no fitment issues whatsoever. It utilizes the two bottom mounting points along with the center mounted bracket on the top.

As you can see from the pictures, the BR utilizes a center mounted bracket on top in conjunction with a bracket on the passenger side of the car. This mounts the IC securely without issues. However, in my case, in order to put the crash beam back on, I needed to make a slight adjustment to the crash beam in order to fit it back on the car. The passenger side IC grill mount needs to be ground down in order to clear the end tank.

Also if you're looking to purchase this IC I would recommend the BR LICP. It is supposed to be a direct fit for their IC's. I'm currently running an ETS LICP and, while I was able to make it work, the angle that the LICP enters the IC is less than ideal (anyone have a BR LICP they'd trade for an ETS?).

Overall, I'm very happy with this upgrade. I've only taken the car out once since installing the BR Street, but the first thing I noticed was that the turbo seemed to spool much faster. I haven't done any logging yet so I'm not sure if the improvements are in my head or not but, I'll report back with my findings.

Last edited by MATT0404; Aug 4, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Looks great. Also looks like the BR intercooler would literally eat the eBay core.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:17 PM

Do you still have that eBay fmic cuz I'm in desperate need of a intercooler if so PM me and let me know. thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:10 PM
Former Sponsor

looks nice man !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Looks really good !
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:21 PM
Former Sponsor

is that ebay intercooler the ams clone there were selling ?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a bad AMS clone. Doesn't really look like the original AMS clones that were rolling around.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

What... No T-bolt clamps? Looks good though.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Looks great! I would go tbolt clamps or double up the worm clamps depending on what boost your running. Excellent upgrade!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

The Ebay vs AMS vs Buschur Intercoolers have been covered awhile ago. The Ebay Core would heat soak with just 2-3 Dyno pulls, while the AMS/Buschur would hold just fine for over 5 consecutive runs. So performance numbers, and safety with tunes will vary greatly. Just Be careful with the ebay performance items.

Great Upgrade. Time For Buschur ICP, so you can hold boost better.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 03:40 AM

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to get some logging done today.

Originally Posted by MSD EvoVlll113
Do you still have that eBay fmic cuz I'm in desperate need of a intercooler if so PM me and let me know. thanks!
PM'd you.

Originally Posted by Gary@MellonTuning
That's what I've been told, but I don't know for sure.

Originally Posted by Pegasus
What... No T-bolt clamps? Looks good though.
Yeah, I know, I didn't plan far enough ahead. Hopefully I'll be replacing the LCIP soon and have an opportunity to swap them all over to t-bolts.

Originally Posted by EvoVIII808
The Ebay vs AMS vs Buschur Intercoolers have been covered awhile ago. The Ebay Core would heat soak with just 2-3 Dyno pulls, while the AMS/Buschur would hold just fine for over 5 consecutive runs. So performance numbers, and safety with tunes will vary greatly. Just Be careful with the ebay performance items.

Great Upgrade. Time For Buschur ICP, so you can hold boost better.
That's what I've seen, too. When I was getting tuned at BR a couple of weeks ago it was difficult to get consistent results without knock. Over the span of about 5 runs the car lost 28 whp.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know why everyone makes a big deal about using t-bolt clamps over hose clamps. A good hose clamp that is properly tightened will work just fine. As long as your IC pipes are all bead-rolled on the ends, hose clamps will work just fine.

As for the new IC, thanks for the pictures and write-up! Where are you in NorthWest PA? I'm near Erie - are you that far NW?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 08:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Good to see the ebay intercooler off the car. I would recommend t-bolts as well. Try to get a breeze clamp if possible.

Michael
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary@MellonTuning
Yes it does look like the ams clone... I have one on my car waiting for the new one to come in as well! lol
Old Aug 5, 2010, 01:16 PM

Craig: I'm in Franklin. About an hour south of Erie.

Quick Reply: eBay FMIC vs. Buschur Racing Street FMIC: Install, Pics, Initial Findings