Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Trany noise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trany noise

I had my clutch go out at 116k miles, it literally broke; shifting became very difficult. I saw some of the pieces, the metal is torn on the clutch plate. I was laid off from my old job at the time, and didn't go for the total rebuild.

The car came back to me with with the damage "repaired"; with an ACT clutch and felt better, tho the clutch action seemed lighter than the stock. All of the clutch & plates were replaced, as were 3rd & 4th synchros. About 2-300 miles in, the new throw out bearing failed, making for lots of noise. I took it back in it was replaced.

Some of the noise was gone, but not all of it. I still get a almost grinding-bearing noise at all speeds, a bit more noticeable under deceleration, and easier to hear at low to mid range speeds. I put the clutch in or shift into neutral and it goes away. Rev the motor while in neutral or clutch in and no noise. Sometimes I short shift a bit to keep the noise down. It's not terribly loud, but loud enough to be heard over the radio and to annoy me.

The shop wants to take another look at it; anyone have any speculation of what's going on?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Does the noise change with the clutch engauged and disengauged? If so it's probably the TOB. Did they use Mitsu parts or some cheap knockoff Chineese bubblegum bearing?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

I push the clutch in and the noise goes away. I put the car in neutral and coast, the noise goes away. I believe it has an ACT TOB, of which the original failed. When the first TOB failed, it made noise that was different (more of a grinding), louder when the car was cold and quieted somewhat as it heated up. when the TOB was replaced this noise was still underneath it all.