Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Carbonetic Twin user reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Carbonetic Twin user reviews?

I've found a few reviews of the Carbonetic Twin on EvoM:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ch-review.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...in-clutch.html

Would love to hear from any other people who have or who are running the clutch.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Perhaps the largest single drawback of that clutch is the fact that the rebuild cost is basically the replacement cost. So essentially, if one can stomach the approximate $2000 USD it requires to rebuild it, ok. Otherwise, there are better, far more affordable options, especially at your power level (<400whp DJ).
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Perhaps the largest single drawback of that clutch is the fact that the rebuild cost is basically the replacement cost. So essentially, if one can stomach the approximate $2000 USD it requires to rebuild it, ok. Otherwise, there are better, far more affordable options, especially at your power level (<400whp DJ).
i'ii be at about 470 whp dj in about a month (bbk full + misc). rebuild cost is a factor, but it seems like some people are getting 40+K miles. i am also considering an exedy hd single with organic disk. exedy twin ceramet is not off the list yet. if you have other ideas, a pm would be great.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have been using one for four months now. Easy pedal pressure, holds 800tq, is very direct but smooth. I get no chatter. soft rattle with pedal depressed, very noisy drive shaft on decell. Best feature of clutch is how well it allows trans to shift. Worst feature is its not good choice if you drag race a lot. The carbon plates can get really hot if you slip clutch to much. hot enough to warp steel floaters. If that happens the carbon plates will wear down quick. Too much slip can happen in just a few tenths of a second. Many have failed these clutches at the track and give them bad feedback. The clutch plates during normal use will last very long time. the plates are 3.9mm new. they can be used to 2mm thickness. You would have to shave PP stand when plates get thin to compensate. Less than 50 at clutch rebuilder. Those who have 40,000+ miles on them have not even done that yet. I can see this giving 100K service under right conditions.

I got mine for 750 with just break in miles on it. It sat on the shelf for five years. When I drove an evo 8 with the triple I got excited to give it a try. The evo 8 I drove does not have the drive shaft noises as bad as my car. I am working on a solution for that.

I also do not recommend slipping clutch to get it warm. I see no difference between fully hot and cold performance. something I was worried about. So far I love the clutch.

This clutch will hold more TQ than exedy twin. last longer. and is easier on drive train due to soft initial bite on hard shift. shifts better as well. those would be the characteristics that make the clutch worth the extra $
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very pleased with mine so far, only had it for one week now. Only downside for me is the sound the clutch/driveline makes when "braking on the engine". Above 2500rpm in 3-4-5th gear it is very loud, under 2500rpm it stops. In 1st and 2nd the sound is also there, but not as loud.

The same noise can be hear din this topic: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-inside-4.html

As a sidenote: I also rebuild my T-case with new CWP and installed it together with the Carbonetics Twin

Last edited by EugeneT5; Aug 13, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aren't there any twin discs for the Evo that don't rattle? I'm going to be in the market for a new clutch myself pretty soon, and would like to go twin.

I mean, there are several twin disc cluthes that are designed with floater plates that are strapped or designed in a way where they won't rattle. What's up with all of the aftermarket Evo clutches?? Aren't there any that don't rattle? I thought Spec was one brand that designed the floater plates in a way to eliminate the rattle, but then so many people had problems with the clutch. I'm not sure what to think anymore.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

I have had mine for about 3yrs 40k+ miles and still holding strong. ; )
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Well it finally started to slip after 41k miles. I'm very happy it lasted this long, not sure I will get another since funds are tight but we shall see.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ROGERV
Well it finally started to slip after 41k miles. I'm very happy it lasted this long, not sure I will get another since funds are tight but we shall see.
if you didnt burn plates when it slipped you can just shave PP stand and it will give another 30k + service. when discs wear thin the PP looses leverage (clamping force) very quickly. the clamping force can be restored by shaving the PP stand down. any clutch shop should be able to do this for very little cost.

the original disc thickness is 3.9mm. the plates can give life to 2mm and likely thinner. they will slip at 3.0 thickness maybe sooner. so you may have lots of life left in them.