Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Forge 18 psi WGA ascillation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forge 18 psi WGA oscillation

Hello, I recently installed the Forge 18psi unit on my 9 turbo. It has been preloaded 4 complete turns. Currently, the boost spikes to about 27.5, drops 2-3 psi quickly and comes back up.... oscillates slightly to redline where its sitting at 24-25 psi. The peak and the taper im happy with, im just not happy with the oscillation.

Just wondering if this is normal, or do I have to preload it more? Using the Forge MBC as well, and BLT was good. Just looking for some opinions, it would be nice to smooth out the load.

Bren

Last edited by brenner; Aug 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

realize my type o on the title. cant edit it... gay
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:48 PM

Are you sure it's not your BC? Have you tried a different one?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

no im not sure. I went to the stiffer spring as the soft one wouldnt reach the boost levels i wanted. I can try swapping back I guess

Edit, didnt do this previously on my softer spring, would hit 26 taper to 21 without the fluctuation, but also on the stock wga. Changed both the spring and the WGA this week

Last edited by brenner; Aug 17, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brenner
Hello, I recently installed the Forge 18psi unit.... It has been preloaded 4 complete turns....
Do you mean that 1st you adjusted it to where it slides freely on and off the flapper valve's pivot arm? And that once you had it so set(base setting) you went on to turn the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod inward four complete 360* revolutions? I am just trying to clear a doubt in my mind.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

4 complete rotations from sliding on the flapper freely. I assume thats what you meant from "base setting"

As I read it, that was an adequate amount. Do you think it requires more adjustment?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Just off the top of my head after reading your opening post and taking into consideration that you are running 28# peak boost. I'd say that four turns is not quite enough. Four turns gives you about 15# of spring pressure.

Since you are running 28# peak, then I would say that you should be running about 22-24 PSI of spring pressure.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

interesting, you know its the 18 psi wga not stock right?

MBC all the way down im seeing about 25-26 on the stiff spring.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

The cleanest, most rock solid way to set your spring pressure, IMO, is to disconnect your MBC and run a vacuum hose directly from the WGA to the compressor oulet discharge tube's nipple and adjust spring pressure by rotating the turnbuckle until you get it to 22-24#. Once this is set then reconnect your MBC and via the MBC raise the boost up the last 3-4 to your target boost.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I am from the X crowd, but personally I went from the 18 psi FP wga to a blouch one (20-21 psi) and my boost curve and power were way better.

Check it out.

Get a better wga is my vote.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
The cleanest, most rock solid way to set your spring pressure, IMO, is to disconnect your MBC and run a vacuum hose directly from the WGA to the compressor oulet discharge tube's nipple and adjust spring pressure by rotating the turnbuckle until you get it to 22-24#. Once this is set then reconnect your MBC and via the MBC raise the boost up the last 3-4 to your target boost.

That was my next step... and it will also rule out the WGA as the "fluctuator"

Ill do that tomorrow, and if its still ****ed, Ill try something else. Thanks for the tips.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brenner
....MBC all the way down im seeing about 25-26 on the stiff spring.
MBC all the way down, does not mean knob turned all the way in does it? All the way out would be lowest boost setting where as all the way in kinda means highest boost setting.

I just want to be speaking the same lingo so as not to confuse you. Sorry.

I have run the same actuator as you. and I am pretty familiar with it by now. I had to chop a few of the threads off the end of mine to get it to tighten down to the spring pressure that I desire.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
MBC all the way down, does not mean knob turned all the way in does it? All the way out would be lowest boost setting where as all the way in kinda means highest boost setting.

I just want to be speaking the same lingo so as not to confuse you. Sorry.

I run the same actuator as you. and I am pretty familiar with it by now. I had to chop a few of the threads off the end of mine to get it to tighten down to the spring pressure that I desire.

by down i mean turned to the "lowest boost setting"... on the Forge unos its counterclockwise till it stops.

did you ever have boost wave like I am experiencing when dialing in your WGA?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

I like running as much spring pressure as possible for various reasons. I have found that I can get MBC's to control boost more precisely if WG spring pressure is on the high side. This way the operant range of adjustability for the MBC is reduced.

For example: If my peakboost is set for 25# then I like WG spring pressure to be about 3# under that peak level, or 21-22# of spring pressure. That way the MBC only deals with 3#'s of adjustability.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

understood. but did the boost ever go up and down and up and down a little?

Quick Reply: Forge 18 psi WGA ascillation